• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Southland still could go down ...

J

Jethro

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Southland's Ranfurly Shield success won't guarantee it a place in next year's premier division.

New Zealand Rugby Union chief executive Steve Tew was making no promises when contacted by The Southland Times yesterday.

"I'll leave that to your imagination. It's great to see (the Shield) move around, that's a bonus," he said.

"It's hard for the people of Canterbury to see it go. To see the Shield move a little bit more frequently over the last couple of years has been of benefit to everybody because there's no doubt that the novelty of owning it is part of the attraction."

- that perhaps concidenced with the 14th competition don’t you think

Four teams are scheduled to be cut from the premier competition ahead of the 2010 season.

Southland's small population base had meant it was one of the unions under threat, along with the likes of Tasman, Manawatu, Counties Manukau, Bay of Plenty and Northland.

However, qualifying for the semifinals for the second season in a row has strengthened Southland's claim on a place in the top flight next year.

The Southland Times understands there is little chance the Stags will be one of the teams to be demoted, with Tasman, Manawatu, Counties and Northland looking under the most pressure.

Unions must provide the last of their details under the NZRU criteria â€" which mainly revolve around their financial position â€" by the middle of next month.

- No it wont, else Canterbury and North Harbour are rooted.

A board meeting in December will vote for the final makeup of next year's competition.

- And then the legal action can begin

Talk in rugby circles has increasingly hinted at a backdown by the NZRU that would lead to a 12-team competition next year, but Tew denied that.

"We've been working through a process, which was initiated by the unions themselves way back in April. It's driven by an agreement about characteristics that a competition should have, that leads to a 10-team comp played in an 11-week window. That's what we are looking at at this stage," Tew said.
- Note he is not claiming total agreement any more as the public has found that was a complete fabrication on Tewbacca’s part

Work is continuing on developing a "meaningful" competition for the four demoted teams along with potentially two unions from this year's Heartland Championships.

"The definition of meaningful is subject to some debate," Tew said.
- For advertising revenue it means exposure Tew, something this second tier competition wont have

"We think the most important part of meaningful is that there's an automatic opportunity of being promoted if you win it."
- Another lie, didn’t you come out and state it’s not automatic promotion, it’s based on meeting whatever criteria the NZRU pull out of their collective arses at the time. Sorry Manawatu you cannot be promoted as your name doesn’t begin with the letter “Câ€

Meanwhile, the rules for the Ranfurly Shield are likely to be retained for next year's revamped NPC.

Currently the holder puts up the Shield for every home competition game during the NPC. It is also expected that it will play "a reasonable number" of preseason games against teams from the Heartland Championships, Tew said.

Stags manager Leicester Rutledge said yesterday West Coast had already expressed an interest in challenging for the Shield next season.

The NPC draw is usually available from about February, but next year's draw could be delayed depending on what happens in the fallout from the NZRU board's decision in December.wMeanwhile, Chris Pollock will referee Southland for a second consecutive week in Saturday's semifinal against Wellington.

Jonathon White will referee Friday's semifinal between Canterbury and Hawke's Bay in Christchurch. Southland's Keith Brown will be an assistant referee in both games.

Vinny Munro will officiate the final on November 7, with Pollock and White as his assistants and Brown acting as the television match official.[/b]

Is Tew on the same planet as the rest of us?

Sorry for not reading the whole thing I haven't much time but if they were dropped it'll be massive for the lower provinces than they'll be able to challenge for the shield wouldn't they?

It'd be a massive joke too. If a side finishes 3rd in a comp and is relegated, based on the fact that they have enough money to be in a competition, but not enough to make a big profit (because Southland have enough to get by as is obvious right now), it'd be a farce.

The whole competition would become a bigger joke and a sideshow than it's administration has already let it become.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Oct 28 2009, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It'd be a massive joke too. If a side finishes 3rd in a comp and is relegated, based on the fact that they have enough money to be in a competition, but not enough to make a big profit (because Southland have enough to get by as is obvious right now), it'd be a farce.

The whole competition would become a bigger joke and a sideshow than it's administration has already let it become.[/b]
Southland should not be relegated.

I would like to think if a team was promoted and did not meet the regulations then the second team would come in instead. I don't agree with any regulations at all but I'm yet to stay how tough these are.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Oct 28 2009, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

The whole competition would become a bigger joke and a sideshow than it's administration has already let it become.[/b]

The stupidest part is that Southland can be relegated this year because it isn't financially viable, but then if it wins the div 1 next year its just back in the top flight again. Does the whole financial thing not matter next year or something? if so, why bother relegating them in the first place.

They have this whole convoluted selection criteria, which some old NZRU ****** has probably been paid a million dollars to come up with and its all out the window next year anyway.

Grrrr, if only Rage Against the Machine were making a new Album. There'd be a killer tune about this crap!

But in seriousness, I've never got the "you're not making enough money so we're gonna put you somewhere where you'll make less money" strategy that's used in leagues around the world, both soccer and rugby.

It probably has something to do with not complying to financial guidelines but I'm sure that alot of the time these people aren't negligent but just unfortunate. I'm sure someone can confirm if this is the case with Southland or not. But in a country where all these teams aren't run by big investers filling the team with foiegners (is David Gannon still on the Southend bench?) then I don't see why the authorities would want to send the team down rather than helping it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Oct 28 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Oct 28 2009, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The stupidest part is that Southland can be relegated this year because it isn't financially viable, but then if it wins the div 1 next year its just back in the top flight again. Does the whole financial thing not matter next year or something? if so, why bother relegating them in the first place.

They have this whole convoluted selection criteria, which some old NZRU ****** has probably been paid a million dollars to come up with and its all out the window next year anyway.
[/b][/quote]

Well this is dead right it would def make Southland shield defences less of a challenge don't you agree! Unless the NZRU make them defend it in a preseason against a tema like Wellington or a full strength Canterbury side!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Candyman @ Nov 29 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Oct 28 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Oct 28 2009, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Well this is dead right it would def make Southland shield defences less of a challenge don't you agree! Unless the NZRU make them defend it in a preseason against a tema like Wellington or a full strength Canterbury side!
[/b][/quote]

If they did something extra stupid, (which lets face it, they've made other weird calls) and dropped Southland, it'd be a bit of a set up if they made us put it on the line against a premier division side. I honestly would hope Southland would refuse to play it in that circumstance and just hand it back, making them look (NZRFU) really insanely bad in the process.

Steve Tew is a silly man at times, but if that scenario happened, the process would look truely corrupt.

I agree it would be stupid if that happened but they shouldn't drop any team. I'd expect everyone to be really upset not just Southland if Steve Tew did it. I'm a hearty Wellington supporter but I'd be really upset if they give any teams the chop. I honestly don't even know if I'd watch the damn competition anymore.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 29 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Candyman @ Nov 29 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

If they did something extra stupid, (which lets face it, they've made other weird calls) and dropped Southland, it'd be a bit of a set up if they made us put it on the line against a premier division side. I honestly would hope Southland would refuse to play it in that circumstance and just hand it back, making them look (NZRFU) really insanely bad in the process.

Steve Tew is a silly man at times, but if that scenario happened, the process would look truely corrupt.
[/b][/quote]

As much as I like this idea I also would really hate it to come to this it Took Southland 50 Years to win the shield I wouldn't wanna give it up as a protest!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Nov 29 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Southland going down would be a disgrace[/b]

Any team going down is a disgrace!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 30 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree it would be stupid if that happened but they shouldn't drop any team. I'd expect everyone to be really upset not just Southland if Steve Tew did it. I'm a hearty Wellington supporter but I'd be really upset if they give any teams the chop. I honestly don't even know if I'd watch the damn competition anymore.[/b]

I would totally do the same they are trying to boost numbers in watching the ANZC not reduce them if they drop teams then they(NZRU) will be losing a lot of money pre world cup too!! I personally think that the ANZC is the most exciting competition in NZ and this year was def the best I have watched in a long time with the mino teams beating larger unions!! Dropping these teams would def ruin these unions and they would most certainly lose there top flite players to the bigger unions in the top division cause I would hate my team Southland who have had the same team for a few years now lose there best players to other unions cause we can't keep them to play in the next division down!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Oct 28 2009, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]
WAKE UP, One. this hole thread is stupid, Southland WILL NOT be relegated full stop period. Obviously no one at the NZRU can rule out someone getting dropped for legal reasons. Two if the NZRU actually goes through with this it will be Northland, Manawatu, Tasman and Counties.

The stupidest part of this is the joke that is the administration of the Tasman Union. Hell the Marlborough Union (half the Tasman Union) has repeatedly bagged the Tasman Union and Tasman had to get a loan from the NZRU just to stay afloat.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Candyman @ Dec 1 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 29 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Candyman @ Nov 29 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

As much as I like this idea I also would really hate it to come to this it Took Southland 50 Years to win the shield I wouldn't wanna give it up as a protest!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dale @ Nov 29 2009, 09:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 30 2009, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I agree it would be stupid if that happened but they shouldn't drop any team. I'd expect everyone to be really upset not just Southland if Steve Tew did it. I'm a hearty Wellington supporter but I'd be really upset if they give any teams the chop. I honestly don't even know if I'd watch the damn competition anymore.[/b]

I would totally do the same they are trying to boost numbers in watching the ANZC not reduce them if they drop teams then they(NZRU) will be losing a lot of money pre world cup too!! I personally think that the ANZC is the most exciting competition in NZ and this year was def the best I have watched in a long time with the mino teams beating larger unions!! Dropping these teams would def ruin these unions and they would most certainly lose there top flite players to the bigger unions in the top division cause I would hate my team Southland who have had the same team for a few years now lose there best players to other unions cause we can't keep them to play in the next division down!!
[/b][/quote]
Are you kidding? Cutting the ANZC will not lose money. The ANZC loses about 3 million a season, dropping these teams will decrease that figure. You can argue the other reasons but financially the cull makes sense.

Look, Southland have a solid model and do not deserve to be dropped. They are one of the top 5 teams in this competition, IMO.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Dec 10 2009, 05:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Candyman @ Dec 1 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 29 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Are you kidding? Cutting the ANZC will not lose money. The ANZC loses about 3 million a season, dropping these teams will decrease that figure. You can argue the other reasons but financially the cull makes sense.

Look, Southland have a solid model and do not deserve to be dropped. They are one of the top 5 teams in this competition, IMO.
[/b][/quote]

Yes they have finished in the top 5 for the last 3 seasons but the NZRFU have done stranger things in the past!! They should just leave the comp the way it is just do like pool play like a world cup.

If the competition doesn't change, there won't be enough money for any sort of half decent competition in 5 years. Why is this so difficult for people to understand? Some teams HAVE to go, otherwise, come 2015 there won't be any meaningful competition as there simply won't be money to finance it.

The ANZ Cup is not financially stable, as it stands. It's not financially sustainable and unless changes are made there won't be any competition at all.

Why do people not get this...!?

Wasn't the ANZCup/NPC always like this? the comp always made loss's and super rugby is where they aim as the primary profit maker (and test matches)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Dec 10 2009, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wasn't the ANZCup/NPC always like this? the comp always made loss's and super rugby is where they aim as the primary profit maker (and test matches)[/b]

I don't know for sure about that.

But lots of the S14 franchises aren't doing as well as they previously have, keep that in mind.

Latest posts