• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Skeate signs for Sharks

User1245

Academy Player
Club or Nation
South Africa
The Sharks have signed lock Ross Skeate from France on a two year contract, effective July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2012.

After leaving Western Province and the Stormers two years ago, Skeate joined French Top-14 club Toulon who were on the brink of relegation. However, this season, they qualified for the Heineken Cup. He is acknowledged as a leader who assisted in the successful turnabout process for the club.

“My desire to play rugby in a team with a blend of international players, learn a new language and improve my forward play took me to France and I have thoroughly enjoyed my time at Toulon which I see as a success,†Skeate explained.

“However, despite the team’s fortunes, I have a desire to return to South Africa and have chosen the Sharks as the right culture and team environment to continue my career. I believe my rugby philosophy and that of the Sharks is very similar and hence my decision to play in Durban. I look forward to it with eager anticipation.â€

Skeate boasts an impressive playing pedigree that includes age group representivity (SA Under-19 and Under-21), Western Province and Stormers (90 caps including captaincy), Emerging Springboks, UK Barbarians, Southern Kings vs British & Irish Lions and 45 caps for Toulon in the French Top 14 as well as eight caps in the European Cup.

“With the loss of one of our most senior players, Johann Muller, we have decided to add an experienced player in Ross Skeate,†explained coach John Plumtree.

“He is considered a senior player at Toulon, as he was at Western Province, and that is something that stands him in good stead at the Sharks because of his leadership qualities and experience. He’s a fantastic character.

“He is a mobile, versatile player, an intelligent person who brings all round lock-specific as well as forward athleticism to the game. We look forward to having him and welcome him with open arms.â€
Source

AWESOME signing! I rate him more than Muller so I'm happy.

Played well for Toloun this season ... future international possibly.

Yeah was sad to see him leave WP, him and Bekker could have been our Matfield and Bakkies.

Great signing for the Sharks.

Latest posts