• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] Round 3: Ireland vs Wales (24/02/2018)

A lot of people were hailing Schmidt's Leinster as the best/most complete team in the history of european rugby but you could make the argument that they started as one of the best teams in Europe and that Cheika did a lot of that work. Much of a muchness really but I'd say Schmidt's level of success in a very short period of time probably swings it Schmidt's way from a domestic point of view.

Two very accomplished coaches either way.

Wales team:

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; Liam Williams, Scott Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Samson Lee; Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones (C); Aaron Shingler, Josh Navidi, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Elliot Dee, Wyn Jones, Tomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Justin Tipuric, Aled Davies, Gareth Anscombe, George North.

Rather ridiculous to replace Patchell completely, I liked to be proved wrong but I don't believe Biggar will be able to play this wide attacking game that Wales want to play and they will suffer on Saturday for that.

Wales team:

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; Liam Williams, Scott Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans; Dan Biggar, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Samson Lee; Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones (C); Aaron Shingler, Josh Navidi, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Elliot Dee, Wyn Jones, Tomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Justin Tipuric, Aled Davies, Gareth Anscombe, George North.

Rather ridiculous to replace Patchell completely, I liked to be proved wrong but I don't believe Biggar will be able to play this wide attacking game that Wales want to play and they will suffer on Saturday for that.

Biggar is better than Patchell, but the scape goat for the loss has been made.

Wales team:

Dropping Patchell is as knee jerk as Scotland dropping Price after a bad game - I really don't like that sort of thing. Options at wing that I'd have put ahead of Liam Williams. A step back for the brave new era of Welsh rugby and one that I think will make for a untroubled afternoon for Ireland defensively.

Ireland by 13

Dropping Adams and Patchell is ridiculous. Still expect Wales to give Ireland a game though.

Wales team:

Yup agree.

Biggar has a lot of good qualities, and in a slugfest he's the kinda player you want. But Patchell offers so much more in attack, and I think our new brand will suffer because of his absence. Coincidentally I see a lot of similarities between Patchell and Sexton in the way they play. Of course Sexton's experience has allowed him to add the dependability and confidence to his otherwise balanced game. But I remember him looking a little shaky on occasions at the start of his career, with Ireland reverting to O'Gara at times when they should have stuck with the superior younger player.

Happy with the rest of the team though. Great to see Steff Evans retain his place, whilst Liam and Halfpenny aren't bad players to come back into the back 3.

I'm personally glad that Gatland is insisting that returning players prove their fitness and form for their clubs/regions before parachuting straight back into the side. Faletau is an incredible player, but this backrow has been going well, so let Faletau earn his place back. Biggar is straight back in though! But maybe he's not been out for as long...

Still confident that we're in with a shout over there, and happy to be proven wrong re Biggar.

A lot of people were hailing Schmidt's Leinster as the best/most complete team in the history of european rugby but you could make the argument that they started as one of the best teams in Europe and that Cheika did a lot of that work. Much of a muchness really but I'd say Schmidt's level of success in a very short period of time probably swings it Schmidt's way from a domestic point of view.

Two very accomplished coaches either way.
I think that arguments could be made for either. Like it could be argued Schmidt inherited better club and country teams. But again he has made faster strides. Like Schmidt did achieve fast with Leinster but Gatland did bring Wasps from relegation fright to top of Europe fast too.

Anyways it's fair to say neither is a bad coach.

On game. Surrised there was no change in pack

Biggar is better than Patchell, but the scape goat for the loss has been made.

He is definitely better kicker both ball in hand and goal as well as a game manager but no way is he is as good in attack. Offers less running threat and his distribution isn't as good, picking Biggar puts a lot more stress on Parkes and Williams to create something now. I think Liam Williams is Wales' best back 3 player so it's harsh on Adams but I understand that. If it wasn't Ireland I would have put Williams at FB and kept Adams.

Tough on Anscombe, he was one of the better players last week and should be starting IMO.
Missing out to two players (he has an argument to start at either 10 or 15) with questionable fitness and/or form.

Tough on Anscombe, he was one of the better players last week and should be starting IMO.
Missing out to two players (he has an argument to start at either 10 or 15) with questionable fitness and/or form.

What annoys me is Gatland talking about how Faleteau needs to prove his fitness with Bath first yet Biggar doesn't apprently.

Comparing that side to the team that ended our championship last year and I don't see any improvement from Wales, I fear North more than Evans at international level, the centres are worse as are the halfbacks, and the the pack doesn't look like one that can win a tier 1 test match away. Furthermore I think last year's game was there for the taking had Sexton not missed 20 of the first 45 mins between a HIA and a sin bin. If I was able to take Welsh starters to fit our 15 I'd only pick Williams (15), Evans, Williams (13), Wyn Jones and Owens.

I feel like I did v France again, we really should win this and I think we will but I'm aware of our ability to **** these contests up.

That won't help Patchells confidence being dropped from the 23. Anscombe should feel aggrieved not starting at 10 with Biggar on the bench at best.
Gatland is leaving a lot of experience behind not putting Faleteau in the 23. Looks a strong side but not strong enough to beat Ireland methinks.

To be fair I'd argue that Kruis and Warburton paid off

TBF I don't think either were resounding successes. Warbs delivered in the decider but struggled until then while Kruis did well at the start before being harshly discarded after one poor game.

Ok .. is this bullshit Patchell completely dropped is total ****** - bigger is capable of spotting in obviously targeting the garry Owen as an attacking weapon in this ... but bigger then lacks the flair of pats and we will suffer in attack , biggar will be stronger defensively tho so it's invite Ireland on and try the counter with bigger kicking out of hand.. thing is Ireland will know this and smidt is a canny tactician - would of preferred north and 1/2 penny on Wing and Williams 15 that would of been far more potent . Can we win yes - will we win probably not - canny smidt will have great gameplan and Ireland are a settled outfit compared to us plus add in the home adv then Ireland by 5 is my prediction

Ok .. is this bullshit Patchell completely dropped is total ****** - bigger is capable of spotting in obviously targeting the garry Owen as an attacking weapon in this ... but bigger then lacks the flair of pats and we will suffer in attack , biggar will be stronger defensively tho so it's invite Ireland on and try the counter with bigger kicking out of hand.. thing is Ireland will know this and smidt is a canny tactician - would of preferred north and 1/2 penny on Wing and Williams 15 that would of been far more potent . Can we win yes - will we win probably not - canny smidt will have great gameplan and Ireland are a settled outfit compared to us plus add in the home adv then Ireland by 5 is my prediction
Agree with all that you've said but couldn't help but find this inconsistency quite funny.

Latest posts