• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should The Point System Be Brought In?

J

Jockstap

This has probably been discussed here before my time, but wouldn't the points system used in the HC make the Six Nations infinitely better? It would force teams to play more attacking rugby as the tournament progressed. The intensity of the games would be raised to another level and it would make the tournament far more exciting. Obviously the main problem is a team could win the Grandslam and still lose the tournament on points.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Mar 5 2010, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Isn't the point difference playing the same role to a certain extent?[/b]

I'm talking about the HC point system, ie - a bonus point for scoring 4 tries, losing bonus points, home and away bonus points,etc

It would add so much imo

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Mar 5 2010, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Mar 5 2010, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm talking about the HC point system, ie - a bonus point for scoring 4 tries, losing bonus points, home and away bonus points,etc

It would add so much imo
[/b][/quote]

I understand but my point is that the point difference in the end is also used to rank the different teams, it's an incentive for scoring more points and the best way to achieve this is to score tries.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Mar 5 2010, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Mar 5 2010, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Mar 5 2010, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would add so much imo
[/b][/quote]

I understand but my point is that the point difference in the end is also used to rank the different teams, it's an incentive for scoring more points and the best way to achieve this is to score tries.
[/b][/quote]

True, but I think it makes a big difference when teams know they have to score 4 tries to get that extra point, or when a team knows they have to get a at least a losing bonus point to finish on a higher place on the table. This would make each match a lot better.

Leave it alone, half the greatness of the 6N is in its traditions and if we've seen anything over the last 2 years, it's that fiddling with the way things are done does no one any good. With the current system the best team over 5 games wins, which is fine.

I think we disussed this before and someone mentioned that the majority, if not all of the previous 6nations would still have the same results if that points system were employed.
I think we're fine where we are...

Last year the results would have been:
Ire - 11
Eng - 9
Wal - 9
Fra - 7
Sco - 3
Ita - 1

So the same result bar Wales and France swapping.

What about points difference? Wouldn't Wales be ahead of England on that front?

Edit: No they wouldn't.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Mar 5 2010, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This has probably been discussed here before my time, but wouldn't the points system used in the HC make the Six Nations infinitely better? It would force teams to play more attacking rugby as the tournament progressed. The intensity of the games would be raised to another level and it would make the tournament far more exciting. Obviously the main problem is a team could win the Grandslam and still lose the tournament on points.[/b]
Just give 10 additional points for the slam and the problem is solved.

But the real issue is not there, 90% of the offensive bonus points are scored at home. HC, on home and away basis is fine, but the 6N which is on home or away basis is not.

The bonus point system would enhance even more the home advantage, playing the best team away from home is already tough enough, if you add the pressure of the bonus point, it will become too tough.

A team with 3 away game and 2 home games will even be more disadvantaged than it already is.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codorniou @ Mar 5 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Mar 5 2010, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This has probably been discussed here before my time, but wouldn't the points system used in the HC make the Six Nations infinitely better? It would force teams to play more attacking rugby as the tournament progressed. The intensity of the games would be raised to another level and it would make the tournament far more exciting. Obviously the main problem is a team could win the Grandslam and still lose the tournament on points.[/b]

But the real issue is not there, 90% of the offensive bonus points are scored at home. HC, on home and away basis is fine, but the 6N which is on home or away basis is not.

The bonus point system would enhance even more the home advantage, playing the best team away from home is already tough enough, if you add the pressure of the bonus point, it will become too tough.

A team with 3 away game and 2 home games will even be more disadvantaged than it already is.

[/b][/quote]

It still wouldn't be the same, even if the team who wins the Slam gets an extra 10 points. The system they have now is fine, and you just have to look at the games this season (mostly with Wales in :rolleyes: comebacks galore) that the Tournament produces plenty of cracking game, and I don't really believe that the bonus point system would suddenly make teams score loads of tries.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Mar 5 2010, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codorniou @ Mar 5 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Mar 5 2010, 10:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

It still wouldn't be the same, even if the team who wins the Slam gets an extra 10 points. The system they have now is fine, and you just have to look at the games this season (mostly with Wales in :rolleyes: comebacks galore) that the Tournament produces plenty of cracking game, and I don't really believe that the bonus point system would suddenly make teams score loads of tries.
[/b][/quote]

Moving the 6N to May-June time frame would be more efficient to increase the number of scored tries.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Mar 5 2010, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thingimubob @ Mar 5 2010, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codorniou @ Mar 5 2010, 12:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Moving the 6N to May-June time frame would be more efficient to increase the number of scored tries.
[/b][/quote]

Really? What makes you say that? Would screw up the rugby Calendar though :L

In theory the pitch would be better as the weather should be better, so more running rugby?
Though with 4/6 venues being in the British Isles, it'll be raining no matter when it is :p

Fatigue would also have something to do with it, as players will be less likely to make tackle after tackle.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stevemagoo @ Mar 6 2010, 12:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Last year the results would have been:
Ire - 11
Eng - 9
Wal - 9
Fra - 7
Sco - 3
Ita - 1

So the same result bar Wales and France swapping.[/b]

In this competition coming 3rd is a LOT better than coming 4th, I still think it would liven the competition up a bit.

It's easy for an Irish poster to say had the bonus point system been in place that we'd have won the Championship in 2007, but had it also been in place in 2002 England would have won the championship despite France claiming the grand slam, proof that the unlikeliest of scenarios can actually happen. It certainly wouldn't have been a deserved championship win for England nor would it have been for Ireland cause that French side did get the win at Croker. Even by proposing a bonus for winning the slam proves that the system being proposed in the first place is flawed so best off sticking with one that does work.

Latest posts