• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2023 QF3] England vs Fiji (15/10/2023)

Good fans that are in the stadium though ;)

From BBC reporting.

England v Fiji (16:00 BST)
8171b0e3-b268-48bd-b2d7-9985f0a756df.jpg
Becky Grey
BBC Sport at Stade Velodrome
Boos for Owen Farrell's name being read out. Then, when we get to George Ford's name - the biggest cheer of them all

So, Doombar in hand, here's where I think we are, prefaced by the fact that I don't think Borthwick's the right leader regardless of what happens over the next couple of weeks.

We had the weakest group. For all the scaremongering we were always going to get through. Job done, but in no great style. Best performance in first game, worst in last.

Today, the warm up game against Fiji doesn't matter. This is a lower ranked, much worse resourced team. Decent, yes but we should still expect to win. Defeat leaves Borthwick in an impossible position.

The draw means that getting to the semi is a minimum requirement. Bow out meekly there and question marks remain. Only giving one of the big boys a real fright there or getting through to the final would constitute a decent or good RWC.

The fact a stadium for a quarter final is that empty in a rugby mad country like france, with a fan faveourite like fiji is concerning. Especially considering next one up is hosted in the USA, what are those attendences going to look like.

The fact a stadium for a quarter final is that empty in a rugby mad country like france, with a fan faveourite like fiji is concerning. Especially considering next one up is hosted in the USA, what are those attendences going to look like.
Could have the opposite affect, casual natives may not realise who is and isn't playing the descent rugby so less picking and choosing purely from a bums on seat POV.

Australia go home early with England being **** means nobody is turning up.

will depend on the ticket prices. If they make it somewhat affordable I think it will sell well cause people will look for something to do plus we are easy to travel to for pretty much everyone. Next one up is Australia and I think WR needs to be careful there.

So, Doombar in hand, here's where I think we are, prefaced by the fact that I don't think Borthwick's the right leader regardless of what happens over the next couple of weeks.

We had the weakest group. For all the scaremongering we were always going to get through. Job done, but in no great style. Best performance in first game, worst in last.

Today, the warm up game against Fiji doesn't matter. This is a lower ranked, much worse resourced team. Decent, yes but we should still expect to win. Defeat leaves Borthwick in an impossible position.

The draw means that getting to the semi is a minimum requirement. Bow out meekly there and question marks remain. Only giving one of the big boys a real fright there or getting through to the final would constitute a decent or good RWC.
I agree on all points, (except I was more pessimistic about the group stage considering how poor we where pre tournament, and personally I think that was more argentina turning up very cold).

I think unless a finals run at this point its all grey areas. If we lose here its enough to keep steve in position regardless in the RFU eyes but without a great performance I cant see much optomism.

Managing to watch the first few mins of this before I set off to Manchester

Absolutely love this Fiji kit, easily the nicest in the tournament

Could have the opposite affect, casual natives may not realise who is and isn't playing the descent rugby so less picking and choosing purely from a bums on seat POV.
Or maybe the casual fans knew England were likely to be playing in this match and decided they had better things to do with their money? Just a thought...

do you think Itoje consults with GQ before the game about whether or not to wear head gear?

Is that England getting caught out on the wing again? Yes, yes it is.

Latest posts