• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC2019][Pool A] Round 2 - Japan vs. Ireland (28/09/2019)

Wouldn't it be more sensible to turn around and blast it into the stands instead of standard exit which almost didn't make touch and Japan could (should?) have gone for drop to deny the LBP?

Paul O'Connell made the same point post match
The ball barely made it to touch Makes you wonder if he even knew or was in Auto Pilot mode - Carberry had a stinker when he came on, looked like a guy who hadn't played in 2 months....

Happy for Japan, great team, great hosts. And deserved the win.

They should have a good chance against Scotland, who are misfiring abit and both play a fast pace yet Japan seem so much more settled team.

If they top this pool and play SA that will be amazing and so will Ireland playing NZ both have beated these in their last meeting. While that doesnt mean alot it will be in their mind. And make for good spectical with hell of alot of media attention.

For now I'll satisfy myself by picturing the reactionary suits who decided to happily show the Sunwolves the door in Super Rugby and fought for the 6N closed shop. A rich economy, 120 million people, full stadia and useful timezones. In the immortal words of Jim Bowen, "let's see what you could have won".

Sunwolves deserved to be kicked out of SR They disgraced the Comp in last 10 weeks of season Team was stuffed full of 2nd rate Foreigners/Mercenaries whilst 1st team was not playing at all

Lets keep things in perspective re Japan Rugby Top League is run by Corporations whose teams are mixed with old players/journeymen
topping up their pensions + Engineers, Salesmen etc playing as Amateur Players Crowds are poor

Lets pump the brakes Japanese rugby has a long way to go Lets start with it having a serious domestic competition that has nationwide appeal & not a corporate league running the show JRFU run by a bunch of clown - Sunwolves being garbage showed that to be the case

Sunwolves deserved to be kicked out of SR They disgraced the Comp in last 10 weeks of season Team was stuffed full of 2nd rate Foreigners/Mercenaries whilst 1st team was not playing at all

Lets keep things in perspective re Japan Rugby Top League is run by Corporations whose teams are mixed with old players/journeymen
topping up their pensions + Engineers, Salesmen etc playing as Amateur Players Crowds are poor

Lets pump the brakes Japanese rugby has a long way to go Lets start with it having a serious domestic competition that has nationwide appeal & not a corporate league running the show JRFU run by a bunch of clown - Sunwolves being garbage showed that to be the case

Sunwolves defeated the Chiefs in New Zealand this year didn't they? Previously defeated the Blues at home and in Tokyo had consistently some of the largest crowds in the competition. But regardless, I am not speaking of today, I am speaking of the next few RWC cycles until Japanese boys who have been inspired become old enough to play professionally.

The Top League is reportedly to be replaced with a professional league and due to decisions made by SANZAAR you may be tuning into it if you want to watch SA, NZ and Oz internationals playing. I'll take no pleasure in that other than having a wee chuckle at those without the vision to see what was under their nose.

Japan had a pretty short turnaround, IIRC, when facing the Scots after their win v the Boks in 2015.
The irony huh? Also 3 of the same teams in the pool.. At least this time there can't be any hard feelings against the Scots if they push Japan out of the tournament.

This was a result I picked at the beginning. Everyone was talking about how important the Scotland v Japan game would be. My reasoning was that even the Irish would not have focused too much on this match. I believed they were going to put everything into the opening match against Scotland as the must win match and probably undervalue what Japan could do.

On the flip side I believed Japan were going to target this match. Also more or less confirmed by Jaime Joseph, I believed they would have been looking at this match as the one to win from the moment the fixtures were decided. A suprise attack was always on the cards. Japan by 1-10 was always a sure bet in my eyes.

The difference between the likes of Wales and Ireland compared to New Zealand is that Wales and Ireland are 'on their day teams'. They've been in great form. But they are also susceptible to losing the games they should win. Due to history the All Blacks know they can't lose to weaker opposition it just doesn't happen. All the NZ failures at world cups have come at the hands of teams that have beaten them before, played against consistently over the years and with at least a 20% win ratio against them. History will always play a part in this tournament. NZ and England must be the only tier 1 teams not to have lost to a tier 2 team? Someone please confirm.

Pool A is wide open. I can see Scotland getting the maximum against Samoa. After that it'll be quite exciting I think.

Last edited:
Ignore him*! The dude hates Ireland for some reason, some charming Irish fella must have broken his heart back in the day.

*Like literally use the function, I just have!

You got me finally Alpha My wife left me for a man from Cork
Since that day I've had a burning "hatred" of the Irish
:mad::mad:

Now back to reality & away from AB's whiny Conspiracy Theories
Irish were garbage for last 60 mins & lucky to even get a BP

There're some positives to take: Ringrose was excellent & should be 1st name on Teamsheet: A Brilliant player, I'd Pay to watch him
Farrell as well was good as was Jack Carty I'd have him on the bench over Carberry atm

JVDF did well in a backrow that was outshone I've been harsh in my criticisms of him but appears that he's being let down by McStander & POM who don't have the impact

Real conspiracy theory Ireland's campaign is imploding like England's last time out.

Common factor Andy Farrell
Which would not bode well post-world cup if that's the case.

Real conspiracy theory Ireland's campaign is imploding like England's last time out.

Common factor Andy Farrell

well if it turns out to be true, they're fcked for the next World Cup then.

The irony huh? Also 3 of the same teams in the pool.. At least this time there can't be any hard feelings against the Scots if they push Japan out of the tournament.

This was a result I picked at the beginning. Everyone was talking about how important the Scotland v Japan game would be. My reasoning was that even the Irish would not have focused too much on this match. I believed they were going to put everything into the opening match against Scotland as the must win match and probably undervalue what Japan could do.

On the flip side I believed Japan were going to target this match. Also more or less confirmed by Jaime Joseph, I believed they would have been looking at this match as the one to win from the moment the fixtures were decided. A suprise attack was always on the cards. Japan by 1-10 was always a sure bet in my eyes.

The difference between the likes of Wales and Ireland compared to New Zealand is that Wales and Ireland are 'on their day teams'. They've been in great form. But they are also susceptible to losing the games they should win. Due to history the All Blacks know they can't lose to weaker opposition it just doesn't happen. All the NZ failures at world cups have come at the hands of teams that have beaten them before, played against consistently over the years and with at least a 20% win ratio against them. History will always play a part in this tournament. NZ and England must be the only tier 1 teams not to have lost to a tier 2 team? Someone please confirm.

Pool A is wide open. I can see Scotland getting the maximum against Samoa. After that it'll be quite exciting I think.

Well not done too shabby for a "on their day team" I think im right in saying that Wales are the most successful grandslam 6 nations champions team since 2000s. I think that shows a level of consistency I also add Ireland to that statement also , Ireland are and have been proven champions and extremely consistent far more than Wales or England over the last few years cemented by their win over the ABs so to tarnish Wales and Ireland by that statement is a bit naive.

Ireland were not their usual self for this game something seemed amiss but Japan were fantastic played out of their skin, fantastic in all departments of the game tbf. Ireland could of won this game but seemed exhausted could be humidity lets remember the Japanese are used to these conditions scientifically its why host nations almost always play above their standards its because they are so familiar with conditions. I still think Ireland qualify top and I think Scotland v Japan is a close game but I expect Scotland to win.

Well not done too shabby for a "on their day team" I think im right in saying that Wales are the most successful grandslam 6 nations champions team since 2000s. I think that shows a level of consistency I also add Ireland to that statement also , Ireland are and have been proven champions and extremely consistent far more than Wales or England over the last few years cemented by their win over the ABs so to tarnish Wales and Ireland by that statement is a bit naive.

See both sides of this, though I would say @Zerobound seems a bit... shall we say, 'provocative' with his/her language. Basically Wales and Ireland are both currently class international set-ups, they've proved it consistently for over a decade (for the most part... though there has been the odd blip, to which I think Zero is alluding to) but New Zealand really are another level.

Yeah the chasing pack has caught up some of the ground but their still the 'big-bads'.

Latest posts