Votes: 15 11.5%
  • France vs Ireland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ireland vs Wales

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

Bokbe4k

Academy Player
Rugby's greatest rivalry always has and always will be The Springboks vs the All blacks,the rivalry was watered down a bit between 96 and 2003,those were SA's darkest years,with the exception of 98,politics and frequent changing of coaches did not help at all but the last four years the Springbok,All black rivalry is back in a big way with the No. one spot changing hands four times in the last three years and at the 2011 WC it will be a Springbok,All black final!

Whatever happened to Wales v England? Linstening to New Zealanders (and not just Justin Marshal on Scrum V) the Wales England rivalry is much more intense than any in the southern hemisphere! So where is Wales England in this pole?

Whatever happened to Wales v England? Linstening to New Zealanders (and not just Justin Marshal on Scrum V) the Wales England rivalry is much more intense than any in the southern hemisphere! So where is Wales England in this pole?

For the NH the rivalry between England and Wales is big but its a fact that when it comes NH rivalry England and France is much bigger and I dont know to which NZers you are referring to but having lived there for a few years I can assure you that the games they want to see most is the ones against the Springboks and the only time they talk about NH teams is when NZ is playing them and its exactly the same way in South Africa!

at the 2011 WC it will be a Springbok,All black final!

Will it? Is that a fact? What are you basing this on? let's look at the run-ins shall we?

South Africa are in group D, probably the toughest group. With Wales there there's no guarantee of South Africa finishing top of their group at all. And with Fiji and Samoa to play as well South Africa could be the most battered and bruised team to come out of the group stages alive. Regardless of whether South Africa come out Winners or runners up they still have a mountain to climb to get to a semi final. They will be playing either Australia or Ireland. Australia are my personal tip for this world cup and if South Africa end up playing them I think Australia would win. That's just me though. If South Africa play Ireland I think that would probably be a very close match and South Africa are no guarantee at all to win it, although the would probably be favourites. But let's say all goes hunky dory and they make it to a semi final. If South Africa are winner of their group and so are New Zealand and both teams make it to the semis then they'll be playing each other, wont they... Unless New Zealand are runners up in their group (very possible) or South Africa are runners up in theirs (Also possible)... Well in either case South Africa will probably be playing France in the semi final... At this early stage it's too difficult to tell who'll be the better team between France and South Africa in 2011 but if I had to choose based on both teams right now I would say France will be the better team... Again that's just my personal opinion.
So let's recap. For there to be a Spring Boks vs All Blacks final in 2011 the following events must occur:

One of the 2 teams must come 1st in their group and the other must come 2nd

South Africa will have to beat either Australia or Ireland

New Zealand will probably have to play Australia in the semis

South Africa will probably have to play France

But anyway this is just my long-winded way of saying "NOOOOOO!"

Good idea for a topic. Silly poll options.

The big rivals in the 6Nations are England vs France, England vs Scotland, England vs Wales and England vs Ireland. I've bolded the two most intense ones.

The big international rivalries from the 3N would be New Zealand vs Australia and New Zealand vs South Africa, but the Bledisloe I'd say is the most intense.

Then there's England vs Australia, England vs New Zealand, and England vs South Africa. The Currie Cup is the largest.

So, in order, I'd say the biggest rivalries in international rugby are:

1. England vs Wales
2. England vs. France
3. Australia vs. New Zealand
4. Australia vs. England
5. England vs. Scotland/ Ireland

South Africa could be the most battered and bruised team to come out of the group stages alive.

Thats the funniest thing I heard all year seeing that SA is considered the most physical side in the world and to say that SA is in the toughest group because wales is there is just silly,maybe if wales was considered to be a strong rugby side I would agree with!

Thats the funniest thing I heard all year seeing that SA is considered the most physical side in the world and to say that SA is in the toughest group because wales is there is just silly,maybe if wales was considered to be a strong rugby side I would agree with!

My point is they've to play 3 strong teams; Fiji, Wales and Samoa, whereas most other groups have at the very least 2, if not 3, mino teams in their group. That would leave even the "most physical side in the world" knackered. And don't underestimate Wales.

My point is they've to play 3 strong teams; Fiji, Wales and Samoa, whereas most other groups have at the very least 2, if not 3, mino teams in their group. That would leave even the "most physical side in the world" knackered. And don't underestimate Wales.

Ok,Ill accept your point but we played and beat the B & I lions in what has to be one of the most,if not the most physical series in rugby history and still went on to win the tri-nations,thats got to say something!?

Ok,Ill accept your point but we played and beat the B & I lions in what has to be one of the most,if not the most physical series in rugby history and still went on to win the tri-nations,thats got to say something!?
Well (as far as I know, so correct me if i'm wrong) isn;t there a shorter recovery time between pool games in World Cups than there is in Lions Tour Tests/Tri Nation Tests? South Africa can win that group (Though I hope they don't :p) but there's no denying that it's a very tough group! On their day Wales can beat anyone, even if atm they're like france of a few years ago - unpredictable, exciting and inconsistent (and only turn up for the 2nd half ¬¬) while Samoa and Fiji prove time and time again that, especially in world cups, they're really a match for anyone! So SA will come out a bit more battered and bruised compared to other sides!
Out of interest, why Wales vs Ireland? I mean the last few matches between us have had tense build ups, but it still doesn;t match the intensity of the Wales v England rivalry! It's just as big as England v France or South Africa v New Zealand!

IMO South Africa vs New Zealand is the greatest International rugby rivalry of all time, the second greatest IMO is England vs France.

You may agree or disagree with this, but like I said it's my opinion.

Oh yeah and the greatest club rugby rivalry IMO is WP/Stormers vs Bulls

IMO South Africa vs New Zealand is the greatest International rugby rivalry of all time, the second greatest IMO is England vs France.

You may agree or disagree with this, but like I said it's my opinion.

Oh yeah and the greatest club rugby rivalry IMO is WP/Stormers vs Bulls

I wont argue with you,at its best WP/Bulls is probably the biggest in the world but the Bulls/Cheetahs rivalry isnt far behind!with the 2005 CC final setting a record for the largest audience to watch a club/provincial cup final!

Well (as far as I know, so correct me if i'm wrong) isn;t there a shorter recovery time between pool games in World Cups than there is in Lions Tour Tests/Tri Nation Tests? South Africa can win that group (Though I hope they don't :p) but there's no denying that it's a very tough group! On their day Wales can beat anyone, even if atm they're like france of a few years ago - unpredictable, exciting and inconsistent (and only turn up for the 2nd half ¬¬) while Samoa and Fiji prove time and time again that, especially in world cups, they're really a match for anyone! So SA will come out a bit more battered and bruised compared to other sides!
Out of interest, why Wales vs Ireland? I mean the last few matches between us have had tense build ups, but it still doesn;t match the intensity of the Wales v England rivalry! It's just as big as England v France or South Africa v New Zealand!
Well, while there isn't really a recognied rivalry as such, there possibly should be, if that makes any sense. The two teams traditionally played eachother on the final day of the 5 nations as it was so if one was up for any kind of honour it woulld be the other who could smash their hopes.

If you're English maybe...

no. It's a fact that due to historical supremacy, everyone in the world hates the English. Because the All Blacks are always so good, everyone always wants to beat them too, but seeing as the Springboks and Aussies are the only ones who can beat them at least a few times, I don't think their rivalries with anyone else are worth a jot. Perhaps the French in recent years, but then the French have beaten them a bit recently.

Let's face it, Ireland don't have any rivals besides the English. Neither do the Welsh or especially the Scots, who only ever sell out Murrayfield when England visit.

Clearly you haven't seen many Ireland Argentina games.

no. It's a fact that due to historical supremacy, everyone in the world hates the English. Because the All Blacks are always so good, everyone always wants to beat them too, but seeing as the Springboks and Aussies are the only ones who can beat them at least a few times, I don't think their rivalries with anyone else are worth a jot. Perhaps the French in recent years, but then the French have beaten them a bit recently.

Let's face it, Ireland don't have any rivals besides the English. Neither do the Welsh or especially the Scots, who only ever sell out Murrayfield when England visit.

So you your theory is based on the amount of hatred the world has to england?you really aren't the sharpest tool in the shed,are you?
Every one is saying this rivalry is the biggest or that rivalry is the biggest but what do the players say,John Smit has been quoted as saying that the Springbok/All black game is the worlds biggest rivalry as well as richie mccaw,The great Frick du Preez once said on boots n' all that there is no game like A Springbok/All black game even Murry Mexted has said on numerous occasions that the Springbok game is their biggest game,the bottom line is that the Springboks & the All blacks are the most successful sides in rugby history!

yes but all those great players are from either Soith Africa or New Zealand, so it's not like they;ve ever played in a different big rivalry like Wales v England or England v France :p
But still you say the 'bottom line is that the Springboks & the All blacks are the most successful sides in rugby history!' which is fair enough, but just because 2 teams are successfull, doesn't mean that the matches between they are 'the greatest rivals ever!'. There is a hell of a lot more invovled than that in being a rival. Hell Im sure the rivalry is huge in games like Georgia v Russia or Spain v Portugal, even though they are minows.

yes but all those great players are from either Soith Africa or New Zealand, so it's not like they;ve ever played in a different big rivalry like Wales v England or England v France :p
But still you say the 'bottom line is that the Springboks & the All blacks are the most successful sides in rugby history!' which is fair enough, but just because 2 teams are successfull, doesn't mean that the matches between they are 'the greatest rivals ever!'. There is a hell of a lot more invovled than that in being a rival. Hell Im sure the rivalry is huge in games like Georgia v Russia or Spain v Portugal, even though they are minows.

Fair enough but my point is that those are men who played International rugby against all major rugby playing nations and they are just echoing our thoughts and those of allot of other people around world,its true they are from SA and NZ but Im sure many other people from other countries will agree!

Latest posts