• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Challenge 3 confirmed

That Scottish chap on youtube uploaded a video where a subscriber got a message from Tru Blu who said that the game isn't finished. Don't know how reliable it is...

I definitely got that impression. It's true they have all the boxes printed and the trailer ready to go, but that's all that's confirmed as finished. I guess we have to wait for an official information release from Tru Blu or Wicked Witch.

<p>
That scottish chap is full of lies, he manufactures news just to bump his views, notorious click baiter. Remember that a few months ago he claimed to have played the game? He forgot to mantain that lie apparently. There's no point second guessing the developer, the game is finished but I can't speculate on what's going on since I'm no longer on the loop. It was even showcased to the public!</p>

That scottish chap is full of lies, he manufactures news just to bump his views, notorious click baiter. Remember that a few months ago he claimed to have played the game? He forgot to mantain that lie apparently. There's no point second guessing the developer, the game is finished but I can't speculate on what's going on since I'm no longer on the loop. It was even showcased to the public!

It's conceivable that The Scottish Cannon has played an early beta build, but doesn't consider it that he's played the current game anymore as it's likely changed. He could be lying, he might not be. I have no proof either way.

Rugby League Live 2 & 3, both produced by Tru Blu were showcased to the public, prior to a final build.

You state the game's final and finished as a definitive statement, Ross from Big Ant implied differently. I'm completely relying on second hand information, so don't doubt either of you. Would be keen to see where Tru Blu or Wicked Witch have said that it's finished?

Also, curious as to when and how you were in the loop? Was that in Sidhe days or early stage Rugby Challenge 3? Don't doubt you, just interested. :)

I worked on RC3, not sure if the demo has credits but I'm there as an external contractor. That's how I know he lies, he's been an inside joke for a long time.

Ross never said differently, he just said the same as I did, the boxes might be ready but the discs might not.

I understand your frustration and share it aswell, I know that visually you don't see anything but a lot of stuff has been done under the hood.

I worked on RC3, not sure if the demo has credits but I'm there as an external contractor. That's how I know he lies, he's been an inside joke for a long time.

Ross never said differently, he just said the same as I did, the boxes might be ready but the discs might not.

I understand your frustration and share it aswell, I know that visually you don't see anything but a lot of stuff has been done under the hood.

No frustration mate. I see what you're saying there. It is very easy for people claim a connection to the development of a game.

JMM - care to share any details or ideas on what has been added or improved "under the hood"? Or are you under any sort of NDA until release?

If you can't share any detailed info, whats your opinion - has the work done on RC3 improve it over RC2? Do you feel any of the areas that fans found disappointing in RC2 have been resolved/improved?

Also, have some of the sillier bugs been corrected?

And lastly - if you were involved in this area (what area of development were you involved in?), what way is the DB setup for RC3? Is it going to be more accessible to the community for editing than RC2's was etc?

Good job on getting involved in RC3, I know you poured alot of heart & time into RC2 and improving it as a fan after release, so I'm atleast a little more optimistic about RC3 knowing you had some involvement.

I got an e-mail this morning that the game's release date for South Africa has been delayed and we will most likely only get in December. I wonder what's the hold-up?

I may be making incorrect assumptions but it seems quite clear to me that Tru Blu are focussing on milking Rugby League Live 3 as much as possible before considering releasing Rugby Challenge 3. For a start, they've delayed RC3 so long that a bunch of us union fans have resorted to buying RLL3, myself included. That's not to say that I regret it, I'm really enjoying the game and it was worth the money in my opinion.

The earlier exposure of RLL3 makes it obvious. The level of communication seemed higher with regard to RLL3 whereas they are leaving us in the dark and keeping us frustrated over RC3. There aren't a million reasons for a company to have such opposite approaches when it comes to selling games.
It would have been financial suicide to realease both games at the same time. Especially games that are so simillar (both rugby games). So, i'm not holding my breathe over this one.

I can see how this might seem to be the case when looking from the outside but I can promise that RLL3 and RC3 are entirely disconnected projects, different third party developers and there really is no relationship between their release dates or development - the games do not play even remotely the same. The release dates of the games has a lot more to do with when they are finished than anything else.

Much in the same way as we presented Don Bradman Cricket via the "Academy" and lots of forum posts, the exposure of RLL3 was really pushed by Big Ant and supported by Tru Blu (but didn't take their resources). I am sure that Wicked Witch could have the same exposure for RC3 at the same points in the game development.

PS: To those above regarding the Scottish Cannon - IMO his heart is in the right place, he is a kid just trying to learn his craft. I have some recollection that his brother (or himself) played an early version of RC3 but could be mistaken.

Last edited:
Can anyone who is 'in the know' tell me whether it is possible to download 'official' logos and kits from the fanhub onto consoles? e.g. If someone creates the Ireland team on the fanhub with modded kits and badge on their PC, if you then download it to console will the kits and badges still be customised or will they revert back to the unlicensed ones?

Jmmontoro I am skeptical on your claim to been involved in the development of rc3, don't you live in Uruguay, Wicked Witch is based in Melbourne, Australia? How long were you there for and how long has rugby challenge 3 been in development for? TSC has played an early version of rugby Challenge 3 and thus you said he hasn't. Just hard to believe imo.

Heineken, the game is currently going through Microsoft and Sony apparently, should have a release by the end of the month, assuming release dates are not different in different parts of the world

Jmmontoro I am skeptical on your claim to been involved in the development of rc3, don't you live in Uruguay, Wicked Witch is based in Melbourne, Australia? How long were you there for and how long has rugby challenge 3 been in development for? TSC has played an early version of rugby Challenge 3 and thus you said he hasn't. Just hard to believe imo.

He did say TSC was an "inside joke" to Wicked Witch. Does seem a little cruel (as he's a very good hearted fellow), but jmmontoro was obviously very close to the development team, close enough to be familiar enough with them as individuals and to know who is a bit of a joke out there to the team (surprised they have time to chat about that kind of thing, but I'm not in the know). So, being that close, the chances are he knows a fair bit about this game, he already has stated that he knows what's going on under the hood, so I guess we need to stay tuned and find out more from him.

External contractors are not often mentioned in relation to games from Tru Blu and their developers, so to outsource paid work so far, I'm confident that they needed his help with things they couldn't take care of in-house. Could he be the much needed stats man, goodness knows? Let's hope we're all benefiting from a much better game this time, thanks in part surely to jmmontoro.

I'm quietly confident now.

Last edited:
I never went to Australia, there's this wonderful thing called the internet which allows almost instant collaboration!

I made the database stats for licensed players, the default sliders and the player presets for Be a Pro, plus some bug bashing and other random input. I can't comment on specifics, you'll see it soon, but I suggest you start working on the FanHub creating teams and players. For modding it's very similar to RC2, but I have to insist on the FanHub, because you can download any team from it and replace any stock team with the one downloaded.

I never went to Australia, there's this wonderful thing called the internet which allows almost instant collaboration!

I made the database stats for licensed players, the default sliders and the player presets for Be a Pro, plus some bug bashing and other random input. I can't comment on specifics, you'll see it soon, but I suggest you start working on the FanHub creating teams and players. For modding it's very similar to RC2, but I have to insist on the FanHub, because you can download any team from it and replace any stock team with the one downloaded.

Are you able to say if they if they have any more real faces or whether there are more than just those 9 generic skins for player creation? (I'm aware of the demo, I'm just hoping that maybe some of it was held back or being done post the demo release).

So you had/have access to some of the database editing tools? You and I need to have a chat then :)

Regarding what you said about the FanHub - can we only replace stock teams? Can we not just add new teams to create custom comps without having to replace existing other teams???

Can you give us a hint on some of the bugs that were crushed? Were any of them legacy bugs we knew about in RC2 or were you focused on new RC3 specific bugs?

And finally, looking at it from a long-term angle - what do you see as possible in the future in regards adding custom comps to season mode? Something that was possible in RC1 but that couldn't be done in RC2 due to the variation in DB build.

Are you able to say if they if they have any more real faces or whether there are more than just those 9 generic skins for player creation? (I'm aware of the demo, I'm just hoping that maybe some of it was held back or being done post the demo release).
Player appearances can already be seen with the demo.

So you had/have access to some of the database editing tools? You and I need to have a chat then :)
No.

Regarding what you said about the FanHub - can we only replace stock teams? Can we not just add new teams to create custom comps without having to replace existing other teams???
Custom comps are still a feature. But I was making a point about the unlicensed teams and comps.

Can you give us a hint on some of the bugs that were crushed? Were any of them legacy bugs we knew about in RC2 or were you focused on new RC3 specific bugs?
No.

And finally, looking at it from a long-term angle - what do you see as possible in the future in regards adding custom comps to season mode? Something that was possible in RC1 but that couldn't be done in RC2 due to the variation in DB build.
It was possible in RC2, no one took the time to explore it or to write a tool to have the database with a GUI.

Player appearances can already be seen with the demo.

No.

Custom comps are still a feature. But I was making a point about the unlicensed teams and comps.

No.

It was possible in RC2, no one took the time to explore it or to write a tool to have the database with a GUI.

- No access to the DB tools or just "No" to having a chat? lol ;-)

Apparently it's just a case of getting the game approved by SONY and Microsoft. Such a shame as I wanted to play along with the Premiership!
#COYQ

Apparently it's just a case of getting the game approved by SONY and Microsoft. Such a shame as I wanted to play along with the Premiership!
#COYQ

Don't get how that prevents them from even releasing a trailer, but whatever I guess.

Latest posts