• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby 08 NEW INFO!

Latham is definitely worthy of a star.

Gregan shouldn't be judged just on his own performance (his tackling is underrated by his critics) but what he brings to the team as a whole: experience, confidence, leadership etc. You can't underestimate the effect a good leader has on a team, and we all know who is the real leader of the wallabies.

I mentioned his defense is underrated; gregan consistently makes the big tackles when it counts. If a tackle needs to be made George is the most likely player to be there. A great example is vs the kiwi's. The AB's had maybe a 4 on 1 overlap with the single defender left being George. He charges forward and wraps up the ball carrier (Jack?) so he is unable to offload. He saved a probable try and something few other players would be able to do. He is missing a few more tackles than he used to but the fact that he is pretty clutch.

Tuqiri doesn't deserve a star. We know he can be world class, but he just isn't consistent enough. If he started fending like he used to I'd rate him more highly.

Spider, Larkham is definitely a star play. Pretty consistent and can get a backline firing like few others can.

Mortlock, I'm not a fan but he is a great player, not sure whether he's worthy of a star.

Also having 6 star players in the same squad is stupid

What other kiwi apart from Carter (out of form) and Richie would you pick for a star? To me a star should signify world-class.

I think there should be two different systems. Stars for provincial level and then stars for international level. Either have two different star systems (ie stars for provincial and stars for international), or use multiple types of stars, eg silver might represent a star provincial player while gold might represent world class.

Latham is definitely worthy of a star.

What other kiwi apart from Carter (out of form) and Richie would you pick for a star? To me a star should signify world-class.

I think there should be two different systems. Stars for provincial level and then stars for international level. Either have two different star systems (ie stars for provincial and stars for international), or use multiple types of stars, eg silver might represent a star provincial player while gold might represent world class. [/b]

Yea that is a good idea having a star for provincial and a star for intetrnational because people like Sione Lauaki can bump off every defender in the super 14 and plays well each week but when it comes to international some may say he struggles. Toeava could also be put in this category. Great Idea! :cheers:

Do we even needs star players? Can't we just have them realistically rated, I mean...in FIFA you can certainly tell the difference between a higher rated player and your average players...the star system seems far too 'arcadey' to me....

and debate aswell.. such as habana? why should he be a star or nonu deserves to be 3stars!!haha

<div class='quotemain'> Latham is definitely worthy of a star.

I think there should be two different systems. Stars for provincial level and then stars for international level. Either have two different star systems (ie stars for provincial and stars for international), or use multiple types of stars, eg silver might represent a star provincial player while gold might represent world class. [/b]

Yea that is a good idea having a star for provincial and a star for intetrnational because people like Sione Lauaki can bump off every defender in the super 14 and plays well each week but when it comes to international some may say he struggles. Toeava could also be put in this category. Great Idea! :cheers:

[/b][/quote]

What!? I came up with this idea months ago. MJ quit stealing my ideas.

A star should not only signify world-class but also having the abliity to change the game for their team. So a genuine game-breaker.

Thus a prop is unlikely to get a star - not because they are not a world-class player but rather because their position doesn't allow them the same amount of freedom that say a winger does to change the game.

As for the All Black's third star player it would either be Jerry Collins or Sitiveni Sivivatu. If the All Blacks are the highest rated team in the game there could be an argument made for allowing four star players and including them all.

And as for Gregan not being a star player even your man Greg Growden struggles for a nice word.

"...Those words must have been spinning in Larkham's mind during the early part of Saturday night's Test when Gregan appeared extremely keen to help the Springboks rearrange the Wallabies five-eighth's features...

"...Passes were going everywhere, and Larkham, in attempting to grab the elusive footy, was twisting himself in all directions. Also worrying for Larkham was that the marauding Springboks were given extra seconds to get at their target because Gregan thought he was on Dancing With the Stars, performing his famous three-step, no, make that four-step, fandango..."

Source: http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/articles...3833345087.html

So we agree with Tuqiri and Mortlock - I think that Mortlock is close to getting a star but just isn't quite there any more.

With Latham - I agree that he is a quality player but I have always thought of him as Mr. Reliable rather than Mr. Gamebreaker. If you rated his performances over a long period of time you would find that he would always get an eight or a nine out of ten. I would rather have a team of Lathams than a team of gamebreakers that were either fantastic or woeful. You know what to expect and you can always expect to be never let down by his performances.

A great player but not a star like Smith, Larkham and Giteau are stars.

[/quote]
What!? I came up with this idea months ago. MJ quit stealing my ideas.

A star should not only signify world-class but also having the abliity to change the game for their team. So a genuine game-breaker.

Thus a prop is unlikely to get a star - not because they are not a world-class player but rather because their position doesn't allow them the same amount of freedom that say a winger does to change the game.

As for the All Black's third star player it would either be Jerry Collins or Sitiveni Sivivatu. If the All Blacks are the highest rated team in the game there could be an argument made for allowing four star players and including them all.

And as for Gregan not being a star player even your man Greg Growden struggles for a nice word.

"...Those words must have been spinning in Larkham's mind during the early part of Saturday night's Test when Gregan appeared extremely keen to help the Springboks rearrange the Wallabies five-eighth's features...

"...Passes were going everywhere, and Larkham, in attempting to grab the elusive footy, was twisting himself in all directions. Also worrying for Larkham was that the marauding Springboks were given extra seconds to get at their target because Gregan thought he was on Dancing With the Stars, performing his famous three-step, no, make that four-step, fandango..."

Source: http://www.rugbyheaven.smh.com.au/articles...3833345087.html

So we agree with Tuqiri and Mortlock - I think that Mortlock is close to getting a star but just isn't quite there any more.

With Latham - I agree that he is a quality player but I have always thought of him as Mr. Reliable rather than Mr. Gamebreaker. If you rated his performances over a long period of time you would find that he would always get an eight or a nine out of ten. I would rather have a team of Lathams than a team of gamebreakers that were either fantastic or woeful. You know what to expect and you can always expect to be never let down by his performances.

A great player but not a star like Smith, Larkham and Giteau are stars.

as i said mortlocks currently the second best if not the best centre in the world you wan't a game breaker? he won aus that game against nz(only 2 weeks ago) after setting up their second try how much of an impact does he need to make? :wacko:

what about players who may have an big influence on the game? as you say BigTen, props don't warrant a star because of their positioning cannot actually change a course of a game, however what about those that have a major influence that can change a game? i.e props such as the NZ ones who generally destroy opposition scrums, they provide the wingers as you say, the opportunity to change the game?
or give star players who excell in their positions, that may give props their stars, its unfair great players like carl cant have a star, or keven mealamu, he did seal the SA'can for th AB's game a couple years ago

my thoughts thats all

Greg Growden is hardly an authority when it comes to Gregan, most rugby writers in Australia want Gregan gone, they are certainly with thier knives out....besides, Monday Maul is often the doom and gloom article of the week...Gregan adds not star power but inspiration and scrum organisation...on a side note, the 99 rating of star players is stupid, sure they are good but they are not almost perfect...

Summary, if we are talking 'stars', and I wish it wasn't a factor, Gregan would not be a star but would add significantly to the chemistry of the team (I don't remember is 06 had this factor like in FIFA) and perhaps allow a bit more strenght to the forwards even if as a player Gregan is subpar in his play...

Hayman should get a star for sure, the 'gamebreaker' backs wouldn't get quality ball and wouldn't be 'gamebreakers' if it wasn't for him, rugby is not all back play after all.

Greg Growden is hardly an authority when it comes to Gregan, most rugby writers in Australia want Gregan gone, they are certainly with thier knives out....besides, Monday Maul is often the doom and gloom article of the week...Gregan adds not star power but inspiration and scrum organisation...on a side note, the 99 rating of star players is stupid, sure they are good but they are not almost perfect...

Summary, if we are talking 'stars', and I wish it wasn't a factor, Gregan would not be a star but would add significantly to the chemistry of the team (I don't remember is 06 had this factor like in FIFA) and perhaps allow a bit more strenght to the forwards even if as a player Gregan is subpar in his play...

Hayman should get a star for sure, the 'gamebreaker' backs wouldn't get quality ball and wouldn't be 'gamebreakers' if it wasn't for him, rugby is not all back play after all. [/b]
hayman should be a star i agree i mean if you see him in the super 14 he destroys scrums while tony woodcock is no where near as obvious so much of nz dominance at scrums comes from him.

Good points about props and to a degree I agree.

But these stars that we are talking about are in an EA game. And in an EA game scrums are an absolute mess - I still think that scrums are random and as such when was the last time that anyone stole a tighthead and scored the match-winning try and then exclaimed how awesome the props were in turning the ball over? For me - never. I always say about bloody time that I got lucky with a scrum!

Until EA fixes up scrums (and rucks and mauls and lineout etc) there is no point in talking about props and stars.

It comes back to the old adage:

Forwards determine who wins; backs determine how much they win by.

As for Mortlock - it is arguable on whether he is the second best, or even best centre in the world - but just because you are the best doesn't mean that you are any good. Please thank about that for a moment before you blast me. It does make sense, honest!

I think, and I know that I am not alone, that there is a bit of a lack in quality centres at the moment. And that means that, BOD, apart there might not be any star centres in the next version of EA's rugby.

I rate Mortlock highly but I just think that their are other players in the Wallabies that deserve the star player ranking more than him - Smith, Larkham and Giteau.

Good points about props and to a degree I agree.

But these stars that we are talking about are in an EA game. And in an EA game scrums are an absolute mess - I still think that scrums are random and as such when was the last time that anyone stole a tighthead and scored the match-winning try and then exclaimed how awesome the props were in turning the ball over? For me - never. I always say about bloody time that I got lucky with a scrum!

Until EA fixes up scrums (and rucks and mauls and lineout etc) there is no point in talking about props and stars.

It comes back to the old adage:

Forwards determine who wins; backs determine how much they win by.

As for Mortlock - it is arguable on whether he is the second best, or even best centre in the world - but just because you are the best doesn't mean that you are any good. Please thank about that for a moment before you blast me. It does make sense, honest!

I think, and I know that I am not alone, that there is a bit of a lack in quality centres at the moment. And that means that, BOD, apart there might not be any star centres in the next version of EA's rugby.

I rate Mortlock highly but I just think that their are other players in the Wallabies that deserve the star player ranking more than him - Smith, Larkham and Giteau.

[/b]
how do you know they haven't fixed the scrums an even in the ea game scrums are good to attack from and i don't have a problem winning scrums.

what has giteau done this year for the aussies that mortlock hasn't done better what games has giteau turned in the aussies favour?

regarding centres maybe yannick jauzion for a star. for mine i think giteau should be one but mortlock not. here is my view:

NZ:
Hayman
Jack
Maccaw
Collins
Carter
Sivivivatu
Gear

AUS:
Larkham
Giteau
Latham

SAF:
Smit
Matfield
Burger
Du Preez
Habana

FRA:
Pelous
Harinodoquy
Jauzion

ENG:
Sheridan
Wilkinson

IRE:
O'Connell
O'Driscoll

WAL:
Henson
Williams

regarding centres maybe yannick jauzion for a star. for mine i think giteau should be one but mortlock not. here is my view:

NZ:
Hayman
Jack
Maccaw
Collins
Carter
Sivivivatu
Gear

AUS:
Larkham
Giteau
Latham

SAF:
Smit
Matfield
Burger
Du Preez
Habana

FRA:
Pelous
Harinodoquy
Jauzion

ENG:
Sheridan
Wilkinson

IRE:
O'Connell
O'Driscoll

WAL:
Henson
Williams [/b]

i dont reckon gear deserves a star, and henson? that guys too overrated!

<div class='quotemain'> regarding centres maybe yannick jauzion for a star. for mine i think giteau should be one but mortlock not. here is my view:

NZ:
Hayman
Jack
Maccaw
Collins
Carter
Sivivivatu
Gear

AUS:
Larkham
Giteau
Latham

SAF:
Smit
Matfield
Burger
Du Preez
Habana

FRA:
Pelous
Harinodoquy
Jauzion

ENG:
Sheridan
Wilkinson

IRE:
O'Connell
O'Driscoll

WAL:
Henson
Williams [/b]

i dont reckon gear deserves a star, and henson? that guys too overrated!
[/b][/quote] explain why you think giteau is better than mortlock i just don't understand.

Tbh I'd be happy with either Giteau or Mortlock in my side. They both deserves stars.

And Sheridan! He destroys one appalling Australian scrum and he's heralded as the worlds best. He's not, not even close. His impact in the GP when fit is unnoticeable, he's too unfit for the full 80 (even when not injured) and contributes sod-all on the loose. He's one of the most overrated players.

And this may sound like I'm plumbing for my club but I'd rather Matt Stevens anyday. He destroyed a considerably stronger SA scrum (just 4 months after shoulder reconstruction), is the best prop in the loose in the world and lasts the full 80.

If Sheridan deserves a star, Steven deserves two.

there shouldnt be stars - just 'icon' players

then each position should have positional weapons like the new madden...

forwards weapons - scrummager, ballwinner etc
backs weapons - passer, smart, tactical kicker, tackle breaker etc

you might think hey dont we already have these in rugby 06?

we do, but they dont seem to have much affect on the game at all. they should be used more and they should create matchup problems when you have players with these abilities matched up against players without.

they can even have counter abilities - ie, tackling machine counters the break tackle ability etc

there shouldnt be stars - just 'icon' players

then each position should have positional weapons like the new madden...

forwards weapons - scrummager, ballwinner etc
backs weapons - passer, smart, tactical kicker, tackle breaker etc

you might think hey dont we already have these in rugby 06?

we do, but they dont seem to have much affect on the game at all. they should be used more and they should create matchup problems when you have players with these abilities matched up against players without.

they can even have counter abilities - ie, tackling machine counters the break tackle ability etc
[/b]

agreed.

you cant compare mccaw to tuquiri or whatever. it makes sense in a game like soccer where positions, player build etc are a bit more similar. in rugby player size and role is too diverse to solely relate to breaking tackles in the last 20 minutes which is all they seem to do?

check out this link for more screenshots
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sports/rugby200...=result;***le;1

and theres an article on it called
"EA Celebrates 2007 Rugby World Cup with Exclusive Release of Officially Licensed Videogame"

just read article - says the same as all the rest of them -
but there are lots of new screenshots

Plucked this of play.com. Hope its as good as it sounds

• Own the World: Power your way through a grueling six-week campaign during Rugby World Cup 2007 in France. Manage squad rotation and player injuries and track the progress of the entire tournament with a user-friendly, in-game information hub.
  • Authentic Defensive Formations: Now you can emulate the style of your favorite team with Authentic Defensive Formations. Adjust your defense on the fly to keep momentum on your side. Counter your opponent's attacking style by changing your defensive strategy based on score, field position, and more.
  • Rugby World Cup Challenge: Replay over 30 classic moments in Rugby World Cup history using modern teams and unlock exclusive Rugby World Cup highlight videos.
  • All New Set Pieces: Take full command over every scrum and maul with enhanced push and rotation controls. Make lineout throw-ins look easy with a simplified pick-up-and-play control system for the novice player, or master the advanced mechanics to enhance your game strategy for the real pro.
  • New Kicking Mechanic: Use the new kicking meter to master your drop kicks and score those key penalties and converts.
  • New Truck and Zoom camera angles: With an unprecedented level of customized camera angles, zero in on all the action on the field by zooming in on rucks and scrums. Have a clear angle of the uprights as you slot that game-winning convert.
  • Authenticity: Play as your national side in its official Rugby World Cup kit as you go for the ultimate glory on the world stage for the Webb Ellis Cup.
  • Creative Scoring: Scoring in single player action becomes more difficult as the action moves closer to the try line. Watch as the CPU tightens up defensively, forcing you to create more strategic ways to score.
<H3 id=jump-review name="jump-review">Review</H3>

Rugby 08 introduces the Rugby World Cup Challenge mode that will test even the most hardcore gamer. Rugby World Cup Challenge re-creates 30 classic moments in Rugby World Cup history using modern teams for fans to unlock exclusive Rugby World Cup highlight videos. Compare your results with history and measure yourself against the world's best.

This year Rugby 08 introduces a layered pick-up-and-play control system for set pieces and drop kicks. Now you take full command over every scrum and maul with enhanced push and rotation controls, make lineout throw-ins look easy with a simplified control scheme for the novice player and advanced mechanics for the pro, and master the new kicking meter to score those key penalties and converts. New truck and zoom camera angles zero in on all the action on the field by zooming in on breakdowns and set pieces during the game's biggest moments. The world is yours for the taking in Rugby 08.

Latest posts