• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Roundabouts and other driving pet peeves

Technically they are right but still they cant moan that people are rude to them.
I don't think he moans about that. Part and parcel of confronting them - you get ones who are and ones who are indignant that they are caught and deflect. Kind of like what our politicians do. Plus it adds to the viewership and awareness that mobile phone driving is illegal and there are consequences.

I don't even go looking for it and a number are clear as day are using their mobiles when driving. If I am able to I film (whilst walking) and they are stuck in traffic. It's the only time they can really be caught.

Otherwise they get away with it. At least there's a chance they'll stop it after getting 6 points and ÂŁ200 fine. And if they already 6 points from previous incidents then they'll get banned for being a totter. That's on them for being a bad driver. It's about paying attention at the wheel which these mobile phone drivers just don't get.

I don't think he moans about that. Part and parcel of confronting them - you get ones who are and ones who are indignant that they are caught and deflect. Kind of like what our politicians do. Plus it adds to the viewership and awareness that mobile phone driving is illegal and there are consequences.

I don't even go looking for it and a number are clear as day are using their mobiles when driving. If I am able to I film (whilst walking) and they are stuck in traffic. It's the only time they can really be caught.

Otherwise they get away with it. At least there's a chance they'll stop it after getting 6 points and ÂŁ200 fine. And if they already 6 points from previous incidents then they'll get banned for being a totter. That's on them for being a bad driver. It's about paying attention at the wheel which these mobile phone drivers just don't get.
I dont use my phone when driving its stupid and dangerous and genuinly should be reported but i have before picked up my phone when stuck in traffic or at a traffic lights(after being completely stationary, not crawling), yes still technically not allowed but not worth 6 points and a fine IMO.

I get awareness and filming people using the phone whilst driving fair enough but a guy who just picks his phone up for 1 min while already stationary is different IMO(my opinion obv isnt law i get that)

I dont use my phone when driving its stupid and dangerous and genuinly should be reported but i have before picked up my phone when stuck in traffic or at a traffic lights(after being completely stationary, not crawling), yes still technically not allowed but not worth 6 points and a fine IMO.

I get awareness and filming people using the phone whilst driving fair enough but a guy who just picks his phone up for 1 min while already stationary is different IMO(my opinion obv isnt law i get that)
The issue is that when you pick your phone up momentarily even stationary whatever you're reading on your phone can take up your attention for several seconds even after you put it down and it only takes a split second and someone walking in front to hit into them. Hence why the law is rightly so strict and covers drivers picking up their phone for an second even if stationary in traffic.

The 6 points (knock on effect on insurance premiums) and ÂŁ200 fine is to reflect the severity of the offence. I wish they would apply that to drivers who close pass cyclists.

And A lot of drivers who do, end up continuing to use the phone even after they touch it once stationary. A common one is leaving it on the lap so it can't be seen by cameras, and then claim they weren't holding it but it's pretty obvious one where you can see the driver looking down at their lap. It's still caught under the regulations.

I don't personally see a problem with what he's doing, he does it in his own time and only uploads the footage once they have been given due process by police and magistrates. His critics often call him a vigilante or snitch but he's only providing evidence of their wrongdoing. He doesn't owe these drivers anything, but trying to stop their mobile phone behaviour whilst driving. It's the mobile phone drivers who owe other road users (I include other drivers, pedestrians, dogs and cyclists) the duty of care not to be distracted whilst driving. And think they are entitled to get away with it.

He risks getting attacked and has been but he knows the risk and says he wears a hidden third camera to stream to his home server in the event he does.

There's a separate issue that there just aren't enough police and cameras to catch such drivers - and it's endemic. Hence there wouldn't be a need for them to rely on Joe Public wearing cameras/smart phones to do their job for them.

The issue is that when you pick your phone up momentarily even stationary whatever you're reading on your phone can take up your attention for several seconds even after you put it down and it only takes a split second and someone walking in front to hit into them. Hence why the law is rightly so strict and covers drivers picking up their phone for an second even if stationary in traffic.
Whilst I agree with the law as it stands about not using your phone even when stationary in traffic, and I adhere to it (unless I'm in the McDonalds drive through queue and need to get my code). The reason why though isn't some nonsense about being distracted even after putting the phone down, otherwise listening to a radio debate on R4, or having a conversarion with a passanger, or having kids in the car wouls also need to be made illegal.

Instead, it's in order to make things simple and clear for all to understand - there is zero tollerance towards the use of a phone whilst driving. Is there really anything so important that it can't wait until the driver reaches their destination, or a safe place to pull over? Almost certainly not!

There's also an argument for use of phones used in cradles to also be banned, which is what Brake argued for. But yes, there are many distractions in the car and the police can still do someone under the "not being in control of the vehicle" which is the catch all.

There's also an argument for use of phones used in cradles to also be banned, which is what Brake argued for. But yes, there are many distractions in the car and the police can still do someone under the "not being in control of the vehicle" which is the catch all.
I have noticed that some people appear to have whatsapp or a similar messanging app up on their cradled phone whilst driving. That certainly isn't safe!

Wonder if the police will prosecute this? Doubtful. Hence why the bus company are investigating. I have had one recently who close passed me (within a half metre of my face) coming from the opposite direction, when s/he could have allowed me through, but police refused to take action.

Driver close passed me today coming within about 30cm of me riding in the secondary position. I could see him clearly holding a coffee cup with his right hand and holding the steering wheel with his left hand. No attempt to give me the proper space. More worried about not spilling his coffee no doubt. Well caught it all on camera both front and back and reported. Hopefully at least 3 points, but I would give him 6 points, plus fine for dangerous driving. Such drivers make me so angry.

And he got a ÂŁ100 fine for not being in proper control of the vehicle.

Like Turkeys voting for Xmas. Isn't one of the points of 20mph to encourage peeps to get out of their cars more?
The problem is it's great if you are in a big city but a lot of Wales in particular the north is very rural and very spread out. Some common sense was needed. I'm all for it being in more urban areas but they way it was implimented was poor.

Labour in Wales are also having a rough time of it and there's a degree of pandering to the large amount that signed the petition. It now looks like a serious lack of consultation, reading the room and waste of public money.

I think it sets a bad precedent in terms of implementation for the rest of the country.

Where I live there are very few 20mph speed limits. And I'm in an urban area. One road that is 20mph I cycle on is one of the few shortest routes to next largest town. Constantly get close passed on it by impatient drivers and cars parked narrowing the road. If it was up to me I would make the road an LTN. But again we have few of those where I live north of London.

Attended a meeting regarding local plan for my area and the lack of protected cycling infrastructure. We have only 5 dedicated protected cycle paths, one LTN. Just got fobbed off that they are working on it but website is not yet up and running. The focus was more on housing and employment.

With the state of the roads largely due to severe underinvestment and most likely drivers paying tax based on emissions rather than road use and 60% tax on fuel, it's difficult to see what the plan is country wide on how to reduce car use and contribute to net zero.

Like Turkeys voting for Xmas. Isn't one of the points of 20mph to encourage peeps to get out of their cars more?
Is that the reason its gone to 20 in England too? I actually didnt know that but on some roads i hate it. Near me there are roads that at 20 are just rediculous and make no logical sense, few villages around me that are norrow and people fly i do welcome them.

A common sense approach needs to be implemented here IMO

Is that the reason its gone to 20 in England too? I actually didnt know that but on some roads i hate it. Near me there are roads that at 20 are just rediculous and make no logical sense, few villages around me that are norrow and people fly i do welcome them.

A common sense approach needs to be implemented here IMO
Well, it's also for safety: speed kills and if drivers are not sticking to 20 fewer would be sticking to 30. So yes it makes sense near schools, hospitals, nurseries etc.

I get peeps love their cars but like mobiles it is one of those things we have become addicted to and peeps feel they can't do without even for unnecessary local journeys.

Well, it's also for safety: speed kills and if drivers are not sticking to 20 fewer would be sticking to 30. So yes it makes sense near schools, hospitals, nurseries etc.

I get peeps love their cars but like mobiles it is one of those things we have become addicted to and peeps feel they can't do without even for unnecessary local journeys.
Yes i get that but some roads 20 is rediculous IMO, as i said some small villages and the ones you said 100% 20mph zones and some other roads but it seems theyve gone too far with some roads.

As far as I'm aware in England, most are based on other factors like being near a school for example. However, one big reason is accidents. Speed limits are often lowered if a road has multiple accidents, so while it seems strange that it is lower, it could be because actually people have crashed with the previous speed limit.

Latest posts