• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rose could become a Cheetah

Intercept King JDV

Bench Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Springbok fullback Earl Rose could be heading for Bloemfontein to join the Cheetahs if an ambitious player swop between last year’s Currie Cup finalists and the Lions comes to fruition.

Rose, who fell out of favour and was dropped from the Lions squad by coach Dick Muir earlier this year in the Vodacom Super 14, is in the Cheetahs' sights as they start moving to replace Lionel Mapoe, who looks almost certain to win his fight to join the Sharks.

With Danwell Demas heading to Italy, Rose will be hoping to get a new lease of life in the Absa Currie Cup if the negotiations are successful and could be a straight swop for another Springbok -- No 8 Ashley Johnson who may head to Johannesburg.

Lions CEO Manie Reyneke confirmed to SuperSport.com that he had received a request to start negotiations for Rose to move to the Cheetahs.

“We have been approached and we are busy negotiating with the Cheetahs about Earl. We have also expressed interest in Ashley Johnson coming to us. Nothing is finalised yet but we are hopeful,†Reyneke told SuperSport.com.

Rose fell out of favour at Vodacom Cup level but is known to be a talented player favoured by Springbok coach Peter de Villiers. If he manages to find some form in Bloemfontein and sort out his tackling woes, he could well play his way back into contention for the end of year tour.

It is a similar saga with Johnson, who, despite a promising Currie Cup last year, failed to produce the same form either at international level or in the Super 14.

The Lions already have a number of talented loose forwards, including Wikus van Heerden and Jonathan Mokuena, but Johnson is likely to offset the departure of American Todd Clever.

While initial reports are that Clever is heading to Japan to further his career, Reyneke said the main reason they had released the American was that he was heading back to the United States for a shoulder operation which would keep him out of action for a lengthy period.

Clever needed the operation to ensure he was fully fit for next year’s World Cup but his move will be a loss to the Lions. The No 8 told Eaglesxv.com that he was heading to Suntory in Japan to further his career.

“I will always be a Lion, but it is now time to take the next step in my career and explore new challenges,†Clever told the EaglesXV.com website.

“I have decided to continue my playing career in Japan and also focus on helping USA Rugby reach higher plateaus of achievement.â€

Clever paid tribute to the Lions after a successful stint with the Johannesburg-based club.

“I am thankful for the opportunities that the Lions have given me.

“I have had three seasons here - two Super 14s and a Currie Cup. I have had three coaches and have won over each of them by showing my dedication and heart. I have been proud to put on the Lions jersey week in and week out.â€

“I have had the best teammates a player can ask for, and I am excited for their future progress. The team is about to turn the corner. Though I am sad I can’t take the ride with them, I will always be a Lions supporter. Thanks to the Lions as I leave with the door open for future opportunities with Super 14!â€
Source

And there goes the Cheetahs chances of winning the Currie Cup this year:(