TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/10406705/Referee-says-negative-All-Blacks-frustrate-officials

I posted this, as I think this is an interesting debate which has been at times discussed in numerous other threads. But I think it deserves one all on its own.

Now before the rants/bashing/arrogant posts starts, let's try and keep this constructive as possible.

What I have always liked about Kaplan is that he doesn't shy away from criticism, and finds ways in improving as a referee. After all, he holds a bunch of records as a referee. And I like how he keeps on improving this area, even after he retired. I personally haven't visited his referee rating site, but I think it's a good idea, especially in educating myself on areas where I get confused.

Let the discussion begin

Yeah, not a fan of Kaplan. In fact I hated his refereeing more than anyone in history, seemed to have a team in mind to win the game the whistle ever blew, and it sure was never the Hurricanes.

Every team is more likely to concede penalties in their 22...how many teams get yellow cards for not releasing the ball or a tackled player after covering a line break/covering kick in the 22, I'm sure it was more than just the All Blacks. I love how he commends Peyper on giving out yellow cards even when they are incorrectly given. Could some of the ongoing circumstances have also been wrong calls. Interesting read though. I'm sure no good will come of this thread.

Last edited:
Yeah, not a fan of Kaplan. In fact I hated his refereeing more than anyone in history, seemed to have a team in mind to win the game the whistle ever blew, and it sure was never the Hurricanes.

Every team is more likely to concede penalties in their 22...how many teams get yellow cards for not releasing the ball or a tackled player after covering a line break/covering kick in the 22, I'm sure it was more than just the All Blacks. I love how he commends Peyper on giving out yellow cards even when they are incorrectly given. Could some of the ongoing circumstances have also been wrong calls. Interesting read though. I'm sure no good will come of this thread.

Okay, but this is now personal biasness from you, but I want to focus on the bigger perspective of the article, which is that referees are going to be harsher on the All Blacks because of their "negative" play, as percieved by referees.

Kaplan is not everyone's cup of tea. that I can agree with, Ask any Bulls supporter and they will cringe if they hear that he's the ref for their match in the currie cup or Super Rugby game. But with that said he was a brilliant ref. And he has been rather vocal since his retirement.

For me the interesting part is that it seems that the referees are aware of these "negative" plays, and will not "let it go" anymore.

I think Kaplan should have kept quiet.

I think to focus it on one team int he way he does makes it I think it comes across as him talking as a fan and makes it personal, rather than coming froma balanced informed and respected Ref.

He could have made a broader comment about negativity in the global game rather than focusing in on NZ specifically.

Well the ABs soundly thrashed England when we played them but the Nonu grab on Haskell which probably prevented a try was barely punished and England got a yellow card for a lesser offence later on. Beyond that I think it's just a case of the ABs showing how good they are, being able to bend the rules and get away with it so often. The above case was the only blatant example I can think of that went unpunished. The biggest AB offence is being offside without being punished ('lazy' players in the ruck who prevent the other team entering).

I think Kaplan should have kept quiet.

I think to focus it on one team int he way he does makes it I think it comes across as him talking as a fan and makes it personal, rather than coming froma balanced informed and respected Ref.

He could have made a broader comment about negativity in the global game rather than focusing in on NZ specifically.

I don't know, the article was posted on a NZ website, I stumbled upon the article through facebook which was shared by a friend of mine who lives in NZ. To me it does sound more that it's coming from an informed referee than a fan. But with that said, he can now just sit back and say what he wants as he's no longer a referee, and doesn't have to abide by any IRB law or code of conduct.

Whether it is in fact true or not, is something we should look at every time the All Blacks play and how the referee penalises them.

All Blacks: positive with the ball, negative without it? I am happy with that combination

Whether it is in fact true or not, is something we should look at every time the All Blacks play and how the referee penalises them.

what i'm trying to say is the point is refereeing should be equal for all sides and nuetral, regardless of who they are... they shouldn't be look specifically at a team, ANY negative play should be picked up on and dealt with.

I think what Kaplan is trying to say, but clumsily is that people refs are becoming more aware of the negative tactics the NZ team use and are penalising them for it. rather than specifically looking at the NZ team which is how the article reads.

what i'm trying to say is the point is refereeing should be equal for all sides and nuetral, regardless of who they are... they shouldn't be look specifically at a team, ANY negative play should be picked up on and dealt with.

I think what Kaplan is trying to say, but clumsily is that people refs are becoming more aware of the negative tactics the NZ team use and are penalising them for it. rather than specifically looking at the NZ team which is how the article reads.

Yeah, I get that, but the article also makes me think that referees are specifically being frustrated by the All Black players and not any other player from any other team using negative tactics. Like the manner in which the All Blacks negatively play, is frustrating, whereas other teams' negative play is less frustrating. If that makes any sense?

Last edited:
Yeah, I get that, but the article also makes me think that referees are specifically being frustrated by the All Black players and not any other player form any other team using negative tactics. Like the manner in which the All Blacks negatively play, is frustrating, whereas other teams' negative play is less frustrating. If that makes any sense?

perfect sense mate.

Latest posts