• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pro 12? Get the hell outta here - Guinness Pro 14: R.1

Southern Kings: 15 Masixole Banda, 14 Yaw Penxe, 13 Berton Klaasen, 12 Luzuko Vulindlu, 11 Sibusiso Sithole, 10 Kurt Coleman, 9 Rudi van Rooyen, 8 Andisa Ntsila, 7 Victor Sekekete, 6 Khaya Majola, 5 Dries van Schalkwyk, 4 Jurie van Vuuren, 3 Rossouw de Klerk, 2 Michael Willemse (captain), 1 Schalk Ferreira.
Replacements: 16 Stephan Coetzee, 17 Luvuyo Pupuma, 18 Etienne Swanepoel, 19 Bobby de Wee, 20 Siyabulela Mdaka, 21 Godlen Masimla, 22 Ntabeni Dukisa, 23 Jacques Nel.

Kings side actually looks decent despite them being thoroughly gutted. Missing a few key personal in the loose trio and a new-look half back pairing. Hard to know what to expect.

Very decent indeed. I wonder how that backline would perform now that they are without Schreuder and Cronje at Flyhalf and Scrumhalf.

I see the Cheetahs play the Sharks team of 15 years ago? Any case, hope they can defend....this Cheetah back line can run.....
The Funny thing is they had Ruan Pienaar on the books earlier the year still and Johan Muller captained them at some time. Someone has a Sharks fetish for sure..
Stormer did you see the last Cheetahs/Lions Curriecup game?Go watch it again, check that same back line run.....the team is full of blitsbokke, if they get a chance to run they will not need the last 20 minutes. You read it here first.....
Yeah I know they are capable of scoring length of the field tries and are dangerous runners. I just don't trust them without the ball and the conditions under foot are vastly different.
Specman on wing for Cheetahs? Is he the one from the SA sevens team? If so, he's got some wheels on him that guy. Speaking of wheels, I hear Mapimpi is pretty sharp too, BBC have him down as their 'player to watch'.
To add to TRF_Heineneken's comment that Specman and Africa are, well were core SA 7s players, Rayno Benjamin also has a 7s background and played for the Blitzbokke few years back while Mapimpi is probably the most elusive and fastest runner of the lot even Petersen while the flyhalf Blommetjies usually plays at 15 ad also has gas. So too both their scrum halves. They can also take a gap if on offer. Basically the backline is a 7s squad all on its own. I just don't know how effective that might be in Union.
Interesting Cheetah's team, for what it's worth Blommetjies usually plays 15 and I haven't sen Petersen play 15 much (he's a pretty small guy) I was under the impression the incumbent fly-half Fred Zeilinga was still playing for the Cheetahs - I don't know if he's injured I don't follow Currie Cup as much as I should.

That side looks dangerous in all positions at the back, but should leak tries quite easily and suffer agaisnt aerial bombardment. The pack is nuggety but nothing special.

I expect the Cheetahs will score a few good tries but let in even more, Ulster by 15+.

I don't even know most of the Ulster players but those I do (Bowe/Trimble/Piatua/Leliafano/Coetzee) are of a fairly high quality.

edit: It does occur to me that the Cheetahs have played far to much rugby. They just finished Super Rugby, continued playing Currie Cup (and indeed their junior side is still playing in South Africa), and now jump into the the Pro 12. That can't be good (probably), I suppose they will get a break during the Autumn internationals?

edit edit: Super excited to watch a NH rugby for the first time ever, I suppose that's already made this worth it. I'll try not to be too hammered, 8:30 is late.
Both their 1st choice 10s Fred Zeilinga and Neil Marais are out injured. They were for the most of SR as well (where were you, man!?).

I tend to agree with your assessment. Cheetahs will probs be living off of scraps. My hope is they put the points on in the last 20. I expect they'd have to come from behind. This team could potentially do some damage against tired legs and feed off scraps. We'll have to wait and see. Cheetahs have always scored tries. Issue is they let in a ton as well and decent teams know how to close out. We've seen it in SR countless times. Cheetahs will need to defend better. No wonder the only time they made the SR play-offs was in 2013 when they didn't have 5 of the top 10 for missed tackles.

Southern Kings: 15 Masixole Banda, 14 Yaw Penxe, 13 Berton Klaasen, 12 Luzuko Vulindlu, 11 Sibusiso Sithole, 10 Kurt Coleman, 9 Rudi van Rooyen, 8 Andisa Ntsila, 7 Victor Sekekete, 6 Khaya Majola, 5 Dries van Schalkwyk, 4 Jurie van Vuuren, 3 Rossouw de Klerk, 2 Michael Willemse (captain), 1 Schalk Ferreira.
Replacements: 16 Stephan Coetzee, 17 Luvuyo Pupuma, 18 Etienne Swanepoel, 19 Bobby de Wee, 20 Siyabulela Mdaka, 21 Godlen Masimla, 22 Ntabeni Dukisa, 23 Jacques Nel.

Kings side actually looks decent despite them being thoroughly gutted. Missing a few key personal in the loose trio and a new-look half back pairing. Hard to know what to expect.

Much better than I was expecting since they have had to build from scratch in a few weeks. Still expecting a torrid time for them though everything considered.

Both their 1st choice 10s Fred Zeilinga and Neil Marais are out injured. They were for the most of SR as well (where were you, man!?).
Oh yeah, Nico Lee slotted in there, I don't follow the Cheetahs as heavily as other sides, didn't realize Zeilinga's injury was so lengthy.

Oh yeah, Nico Lee slotted in there, I don't follow the Cheetahs as heavily as other sides, didn't realize Zeilinga's injury was so lengthy.

Fair enough. Cheetahs have always been my 2nd team of sorts. I see Ryno Eksteen who has been deputizing at 10 is still with the CC side which is interesting. Seems they are really backing Blommetjies and Africa at 10. Exciting!

On the 7s theme I see Chris Dry is captaining the Cheetahs CC side for the weekend. Their CC side a step down. Good to see they are going all in for the Pro14 (injuries and Bok selections notwithstanding). Pity to a degree though as they are unbeaten in CC for how many games now!?

Fair enough. Cheetahs have always been my 2nd team of sorts. I see Ryno Eksteen who has been deputizing at 10 is still with the CC side which is interesting. Seems they are really backing Blommetjies and Africa at 10. Exciting!

On the 7s theme I see Chris Dry is captaining the Cheetahs CC side for the weekend. Their CC side a step down. Good to see they are going all in for the Pro14 (injuries and Bok selections notwithstanding). Pity to a degree though as they are unbeaten in CC for how many games now!?
I know it's traditional to support the Cheetahs as a second side but my GF supports the Bulls and I have lots of Sharks mates, so the Cheetahs game usually gets sacrificed.

I know it's traditional to support the Cheetahs as a second side but my GF supports the Bulls and I have lots of Sharks mates, so the Cheetahs game usually gets sacrificed.
Man that must be confusing; living in Kings country, supporting the Stormers while your GF supports the Bulls, your mates the Sharks and all of SA have either the Lions (bandwagoners IMO) or Cheetahs (traditional like you said) as their '2nd team'.

Man, I knew our Sharks players were getting poached and I knew a few went to Ulster but did not realize they have such a large concentration of players there.

Marcell Coetzee is definitely the standout former Sharks player in the squad and would walk back into the Sharks super rugby xv any day of the week. But the rest probably won't easily make our starting lineup again.
Also they are playing Coetzee out of position which is kind of weird but okay they probably have their reasons.

P.s it's actually funny how fans of other Sa franchises are more vocal/interested about the pro 14 than the fans of the actual teams. Are there any Cheetahs supporters on te forum?
I know there is no Kings.

BTW is the game showing on Super Sport? 17h35?

Here's the matches showing this weekend on SS1 for the Pro14:

Action Attractions | Rugby

Please note: These schedules are subject to change at short notice.
Search:
Friday, September 01, 2017
Time Channel Status Details

20:30 - 22:30 CSN
live_butt.png
GUINNESS PRO14 Round 1: Ulster Rugby v Toyota Cheetahs
20:30 - 22:30 SS1
live_butt.png

22:45 - 00:30 SS1 GUINNESS PRO14 Round 1: Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh Rugby
Saturday, September 02, 2017

18:25 - 20:30 SS1
live_butt.png
GUINNESS PRO14 Round 1: Scarlets v Southern Kings
18:30 - 20:30 CSN
live_butt.png
live_butt.png
GUINNESS PRO14 Round 1: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors
22:30 - 00:15 SS1 GUINNESS PRO14 Round 1: Dragons v Leinster Rugby

Man, I knew our Sharks players were getting poached and I knew a few went to Ulster but did not realize they have such a large concentration of players there.

Marcell Coetzee is definitely the standout former Sharks player in the squad and would walk back into the Sharks super rugby xv any day of the week. But the rest probably won't easily make our starting lineup again.
Also they are playing Coetzee out of position which is kind of weird but okay they probably have their reasons.

P.s it's actually funny how fans of other Sa franchises are more vocal/interested about the pro 14 than the fans of the actual teams. Are there any Cheetahs supporters on te forum?
I know there is no Kings.
@SomeOke is a closet Kings fan. We had a Cheetahs supporter on here but he doesn't seem interested long term. Probably got big ideas after the Cheetahs went through the CC undefeated last year only to fall flat in SR. But at the end of the day we all know its only Stormers and Sharks fans who are rugby supporters. The rest come and go with the relative performances of their teams.
Here's the matches showing this weekend on SS1 for the Pro14:

Action Attractions | Rugby

Please note: These schedules are subject to change at short notice.
Search:
Friday, September 01, 2017

20:30 - 22:30 CSN
live_butt.png
live_butt.png

22:45 - 00:30 SS1 GUINNESS PRO14 Round 1: Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh Rugby
Saturday, September 02, 2017

18:25 - 20:30 SS1
live_butt.png
18:30 - 20:30 CSN
live_butt.png
live_butt.png
GUINNESS PRO14 Round 1: Connacht Rugby v Glasgow Warriors
22:30 - 00:15 SS1 GUINNESS PRO14 Round 1: Dragons v Leinster Rugby

Ah, shucks I subtracted the two hours rather than added them. Great. Kids will be in bed and I will have time to get myself proper ready. Can hardly wait. **** Super Rugby. Go Cheetahs!!

Leinster Rugby (Leinster caps in brackets):

15. Rob Kearney (185)
14. Adam Byrne (24)
13. Rory O'Loughlin (21)
12. Isa Nacewa (170) CAPTAIN
11. Jordan Larmour (0)
10. Ross Byrne (23)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (29)
1. Cian Healy (172)
2. Seán Cronin (128)
3. Michael Bent (87)
4. Devin Toner (198)
5. Scott Fardy (0)
6. Dan Leavy (39)
7. Josh van der Flier (46)
8. Max Deegan (3)

Replacements

16. James Tracy (42)
17. Ed Byrne (7)
18. Andrew Porter (8)
19. James Ryan (0)
20. Jack Conan (51)
21. Nick McCarthy (7)
22. Cathal Marsh (18)
23. Barry Daly (10)

Very strong pack with potentially the strongest 2nd/3rd choice backline in Europe. None of those players would start in their chosen position here in a full strength XV.

Excited to see what Jordan Larmour and Max Deegan can do. Hope James Ryan gets a chance to showcase his skills too. Exciting team. Centre could be a worry with the 12 and 13 playing mainly on the wing last season.

Man that must be confusing; living in Kings country, supporting the Stormers while your GF supports the Bulls, your mates the Sharks and all of SA have either the Lions (bandwagoners IMO) or Cheetahs (traditional like you said) as their '2nd team'.
I've actually lived in Cape Town for the last 2 years :D.
Might change my logo to Kings during this Pro 14 and no SR period though.

Edit: Done, go Kings!

Last edited:
Leinster Rugby (Leinster caps in brackets):

15. Rob Kearney (185)
14. Adam Byrne (24)
13. Rory O'Loughlin (21)
12. Isa Nacewa (170) CAPTAIN
11. Jordan Larmour (0)
10. Ross Byrne (23)
9. Jamison Gibson-Park (29)
1. Cian Healy (172)
2. Seán Cronin (128)
3. Michael Bent (87)
4. Devin Toner (198)
5. Scott Fardy (0)
6. Dan Leavy (39)
7. Josh van der Flier (46)
8. Max Deegan (3)

Replacements

16. James Tracy (42)
17. Ed Byrne (7)
18. Andrew Porter (8)
19. James Ryan (0)
20. Jack Conan (51)
21. Nick McCarthy (7)
22. Cathal Marsh (18)
23. Barry Daly (10)

Very strong pack with potentially the strongest 2nd/3rd choice backline in Europe. None of those players would start in their chosen position here in a full strength XV.

That's a sexy team.

Also no need to be hyperbolic. At least 2 of the backs have an argument to start in a full strength team.

That's a sexy team.

Also no need to be hyperbolic. At least 2 pf the backs have an argument to start in a full strength team.
Kearney and Byrne? I can't see it with Lowe, Isa, DK, O'Loughlin, Carbery and McFadden around. Byrne has a lot to prove after his horrendous end to last season and Kearney needs to show something he hasn't in a while to beat Lowe and Carbery to the post as much as I have defended him in the past.

Kearney and Byrne? I can't see it with Lowe, Isa, DK, O'Loughlin, Carbery and McFadden around. Byrne has a lot to prove after his horrendous end to last season and Kearney needs to show something he hasn't in a while to beat Lowe and Carbery to the post as much as I have defended him in the past.

No point putting McFadden in there at the moment. Isa had fallen off massively at the end of last season (hoping a move to centre does him good). Carbery also showed a number of issues from 15 as good as he was at times while Lowe doesn't even arrive until after whatever NZ are calling their comp. I'd put good money on Kearney still being the definite starter when fit. Byrne is definitely more arguable. Given the injury history of everyone apart from ISA it's probably a moot point anyway.