TRF_Olyy

English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
Would be great if they get it right but wasn't the whole issue with the A league that clubs couldnt fulfill fixtures?

Would be great if they get it right but wasn't the whole issue with the A league that clubs couldnt fulfill fixtures?
Yes.

Now they're being asked to have smaller squads at the same time.

Wonder if you lock it to 18-22yr olds clubs would be more inclined to draft in loanees from unis/champ clubs/take chances
When it was the A league and you knew some sides would be taking the **** and putting out 50 cap internationals you're less likely to want to risk an 18yr old prop against them

Now they're being asked to have smaller squads at the same time.
tbf that's not been confirmed, I don't think - was just a rumour (unless I've missed something)

tbf that's not been confirmed, I don't think - was just a rumour (unless I've missed something)
As far as I can tell, everything about the new agreement is awaiting confirmation. But the reduced squad sizes did seem to have a lot of traction - but yes, absolutely awaiting confirmation.

I

View attachment 21001

Only being "looked at" and talk of "potentially" doing it, but really hope they do
I think a rookie league would be good but that would have to include players older than 23 but new to professional rugby. I'd welcome a revamp of 19-23s format too though.

I mean a rookie league with an upper age limit of U23 would prob mean more uni students and top end U18 players filling in any holes so don't feel there needs to be any loopholes really.

See people still bringing up a draft on social media which just sounds dumb

I like the concept. Struggling to see how clubs can make it work practically when they are already struggling in general.

I like the concept. Struggling to see how clubs can make it work practically when they are already struggling in general.
For a lot of teams they can just bring in BUCS players during their off season. Their is already a bit of overlap between BUCS and academies. I wonder how the teams not near universities would handle it.

For a lot of teams they can just bring in BUCS players during their off season. Their is already a bit of overlap between BUCS and academies. I wonder how the teams not near universities would handle it.
Yeah, but at that point you're just getting back into playing university/lower league levels. If the aim is to give the 19-23 bracket a more meaningful competition, then relying on BUCS players isn't solving that.

Isn't that the reason they should have it?

Means younger players can get more meaningful game time, makes it easier for teams to promote and hire other teams young players.

Yeah, but at that point you're just getting back into playing university/lower league levels. If the aim is to give the 19-23 bracket a more meaningful competition, then relying on BUCS players isn't solving that.
I mean it's pretty clear now the Uni pathway is getting just as good at developing really good players

I

I think a rookie league would be good but that would have to include players older than 23 but new to professional rugby. I'd welcome a revamp of 19-23s format too though.
That would surely be a very small pool? I can't think of many players that would have fit that description.

That would surely be a very small pool? I can't think of many players that would have fit that description.
There have been a few, but you'd be talking converts from a different code (7s or league - who could probably use every minute of union they can get their hands on) or punts on a lower league player, who's already done most of their developing.

As far as I can tell, everything about the new agreement is awaiting confirmation. But the reduced squad sizes did seem to have a lot of traction - but yes, absolutely awaiting confirmation.
Waiting GIF

Last edited:
There's been a surprising amount, plus it would help tie in with BUCS (British Universities and Colleges Sports) which is rapidly becoming a very credible competition and way for people to enter pro rugby that isn't tied to academies.

Speaking of academies and (unfair) boundaries

There's been a surprising amount
I can only think of 3.

We're looking at "Older than 23" AND "new to professional rugby (including 7s and league)"

I've got Rokoduguni (Eng) aged 25, (from the Army), Tom Court (Ire) aged 24 (from track & field), and John Hayes (Ire) aged 25 (from amateur rugby).
I had thought Luke Romano(NZ) - but it looks like he was 23.

I'm absolutely sure that there are more, I just can't think of any from major rugby nations (I'm sure the minor nations have far more, but even less relevant than the Irish duo as far as English rugby is concerned)

Latest posts