• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Position Specific: Back Row Training

MattFloyd

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Harlequins
I am trying to find a position specific training plan for Back Row. I currently play in a social league but would like to get back to playing at a more competitive level. I am struggling to find the right combination of individual training to accompany club sessions on a weekly basis.

I have seen rugby dump pushing the Kevin Shattock HIRT books but am sceptical over how good a resource it would be. Any useful feedback or alternatives would be appreciated.

From my experience flankers at lower levels are always better to just work on fitness rather than loads of weights really.

I'd do HIT interval training and some body weight circuit training.

I'm no expert (as I have nearly always played lock) but fitness is key, bigger guys at lower levels just don't get picked as much as the fitter ones

What style of play You want to play.

I'm 5'9 and about 90kg I'm the kind of player that needs to hit the ruck first and get the turnover before getting cleared out.

I'm trying to injury proof and strengthen while improving fitness. But I just don't have the technical knowledge to do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Get on the mats and take up Judo or Brazilian Jiu Jitsu on the side mate

I'd love to but I'm just about making time for rugby around work as it is hence my trouble finding a flexible training plan that gets the right results. I've contacted some PT s but very few have good sports specific knowledge

- - - Updated - - -

From my experience flankers at lower levels are always better to just work on fitness rather than loads of weights really.

I'd do HIT interval training and some body weight circuit training.

I'm no expert (as I have nearly always played lock) but fitness is key, bigger guys at lower levels just don't get picked as much as the fitter ones

Any guidance on what sort of exercises to do for the weight training I'm planning 1 maybe 2 weights sessions per week with Tuesday and Thursday night training sessions with a game Saturday.

Also trying to find a decent set up to improve fitness once a week maybe?

Rowing machine will help you with your cardio, running as well. You need to try to be at your fittest if you want to be an effective flanker.

As said you need to be the fittest on the pitch to play open side.

Also need to do a lot of core strength and conditioning training IMO.

Thinks like Weighted sit ups, Front squats etc are stuff to look at.

In regard to fitness. Start with 10 x 100 meters at about 70% of your top pace. 3 minutes between runs for a start, but try to get these down to 2 minutes. If you can't mange 10 then do what you can and build up. Don't run the next day. Once you can manage this then go to shorter faster runs (40 - 50 meters). If you combine this with swimming many slow laps, you'll get fit quick enough.
And make sure you stretch both before and after otherwise you'll get muscle strains early on.

Latest posts