• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool D - General discussion

What usually happens when Ireland play France is Ireland start slowly and France score loads, in the second half Ireland score a lot but still get hammered(03,06). This year we started off very slowly but France on put one try up. We were 4 points clear with a minute left and France scored a try which would not have been scored if BOD was playing. It will be tough but i think we will do it. [/b]

France usually starts in a mediocre level in the World Cup, and builds up gradually to become a great team, capable of glorious displays as in 87´ or 99´. They better have a good start this time, if they take Pumas lightly we can have a major upset in the starting match.

<div class='quotemain'> What usually happens when Ireland play France is Ireland start slowly and France score loads, in the second half Ireland score a lot but still get hammered(03,06). This year we started off very slowly but France on put one try up. We were 4 points clear with a minute left and France scored a try which would not have been scored if BOD was playing. It will be tough but i think we will do it. [/b]

France usually starts in a mediocre level in the World Cup, and builds up gradually to become a great team, capable of glorious displays as in 87´ or 99´. They better have a good start this time, if they take Pumas lightly we can have a major upset in the starting match.

[/b][/quote]

Well in 2003 on the other hand they started very well and peaked for the QF versus Ireland. Michalak was the top scorer of the RWC turnament until the SF when the lead was handed over to Wilkinson.

It is a pitty i realy want Ireland and Argentina to put u goog performances.

I hope the Pumas can get through and then fall to Aussies

This is a big call, but I reckon France will go down in Pool play. I really hope that Argentina do well in this WC. They need a big performance for the IRB to stand up and take notice of the talent they have to offer. It's just a shame that they're in the toughest pool

This is a very hard to call group but I cannot see Ireland losing both games to Argentina AND France...

France have plenty of balls and can run from anywhere and create utter choas in the midfield. Their pack is not as good as the Irish one though, and it's not as good as the Argentinian one either. That said they scrummage as well as Ireland. Ireland should win in the line-out, which will set them up nicely for some quick cross-field passes to the delectable duo :) Pressure could get to the Irish for this game though, and it's way too easy to lose to France.

Argentina have a great pack, one of the best scrummaging units about, but their backs don't have the cohesiveness of the Irish line. They'll be stopped by BOD and D'arcy, whose defence is totally solid. Plus our packs backline is superb, which will count for a lot when everyone is piling in for the numerous rucks.
Ireland will lose if they cannot secure the ball to feed the backs, or if the Agrintinians manage to overcome the Irish maul. POC, DOC, Leamy and Wallace are key to winning this game (as opposed to BOD, D'arcy, Horgan and Hickie against the French).

About the Argintinian tests...they revealed very very little of either team. I really don't thnik they were worth much besides giving EOS a good idea of who else to take to France.

Oh and if BOD is injured, I think we should have Trimble in the center and leave Horgan where he is. Might compromise the midfield in terms of defence but Trimble is used to that position, Horgan is used to that position, and it gives us a better chance in attack.

I think that provided Ireland have BOD, O'Connell and ROG they will backlash violently against France (still carrying the weight of 6 nations failure) and win by a solid margin. Argentina more likely to be a slipup point I think.
Still, nearly impossible to predict this group. It's going to be exciting.
[/b]

I agree, we owe them one and we have anger and passion to burn going into this.

Im going to Paris for it, cant friggin wait!

Ireland v France should be a toss up - can't see France going under at home, but this Irish team is too experienced to let the RWC 03/Croke Park first-half whirlwind get them.

Arg are a better version of Italy. Ireland will be comfortable in the final 10 minutes, but France may have to sweat it till the final whistle.

Ireland v France should be a toss up - can't see France going under at home, but this Irish team is too experienced to let the RWC 03/Croke Park first-half whirlwind get them.

Arg are a better version of Italy. Ireland will be comfortable in the final 10 minutes, but France may have to sweat it till the final whistle. [/b]
france are obviously favourites but they are so inconsistent i think argentina are a good shot at this they'll give ireland a run and i think they'll beat france.

<div class='quotemain'> Ireland v France should be a toss up - can't see France going under at home, but this Irish team is too experienced to let the RWC 03/Croke Park first-half whirlwind get them.

Arg are a better version of Italy. Ireland will be comfortable in the final 10 minutes, but France may have to sweat it till the final whistle. [/b]
france are obviously favourites but they are so inconsistent i think argentina are a good shot at this they'll give ireland a run and i think they'll beat france. [/b][/quote]

You're right France lack consistency but the RWC is maybe the turnament where they have been the most consistent because they spend more time preparing it.

I expect Ireland to peak during this RWC and they will be very diffcult to defeat. Argentina will put all their strength in the opener and when playing Ireland.

This PoolD is very difficult to predict. It may be easier when we see the preparation matchs planed in August, France for example will play twice England before going to Cardiff.

I expect Ireland to peak during this RWC [/b]
You know I think that is pretty much as perfect an analysis of the group as you can get at this stage. Its all about form, who can peak at the right time, and who gets going at the right time.

Playing France in France isnt as big a deal as it used to be. I've seen a lot of them and I wouldnt be that concerned. These teams are good enough to beat each other on their day. Its all about form. On the other side, I havent seen anything of Argentina and that has me worried :). I havent a clue what were walking into.

<div class='quotemain'> I expect Ireland to peak during this RWC [/b]
You know I think that is pretty much as perfect an analysis of the group as you can get at this stage. Its all about form, who can peak at the right time, and who gets going at the right time.

Playing France in France isnt as big a deal as it used to be. I've seen a lot of them and I wouldnt be that concerned. These teams are good enough to beat each other on their day. Its all about form. On the other side, I havent seen anything of Argentina and that has me worried :) . I havent a clue what were walking into.

[/b][/quote]

We have to wait still two months you know. Playing Ireland is a bigger deal than it used to be for sure but I've not seen them defeating France for a while. Actually the only teams which I've seen consistently defeating France are New-Zealand and to a lesser extent Argentina.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'> I expect Ireland to peak during this RWC [/b]

Playing France in France isnt as big a deal as it used to be. I've seen a lot of them and I wouldnt be that concerned. These teams are good enough to beat each other on their day. Its all about form. On the other side, I havent seen anything of Argentina and that has me worried :) . I havent a clue what were walking into.

[/b][/quote]

We have to wait still two months you know. Playing Ireland is a bigger deal than it used to be for sure but I've not seen them defeating France for a while. Actually the only teams which I've seen consistently defeating France are New-Zealand and to a lesser extent Argentina.
[/b][/quote]

But will Argentina go all out against France? Won't they save it for a couple of weeks later, when Ireland are just coming off a tough match against France? Hmmmm .... Nah, the three big matches will be played a top speed.

We have to wait still two months you know. Playing Ireland is a bigger deal than it used to be for sure but I've not seen them defeating France for a while. [/b]
Yeah of course. I kinda phrased that wrong. What I should have said was, we'll go there with no fear, knowing we can beat France. Whether we actually do is another thing. As you said, we havent in a while so there is no over-confidence here.

Ireland to win the group, with Argies coming second. France look weak, very weak! Not many teams will beat Ireland at the moment! We'll outclass Argentina, and win easily.

Ireland to win the group, with Argies coming second. France look weak, very weak! Not many teams will beat Ireland at the moment! We'll outclass Argentina, and win easily. [/b]

Of course it depends on what you call the moment, after all Ireland last losses were against Argentina and France... All this is reset with the RWC but I think you should not be overconfident. Actually none of these three teams shouldn't be overconfident.

Wow, impossible to call. My heart says Ireland & Argentina to go through, my head says France & Ireland. Although Argentina have improved so much, I think France & Ireland will have a little too much class for them, especially under pressure.

Its a real bugger that three quality nations have to be in the same group, the fact that one has to miss out. AND second place has to play NZ in the QF, so they will all be trying to get first which France will get imo. Ireland never win against France and cant see them doing so this time around. Argentina juist rely on the forward pack and you see that in matches. Ireland are a great team and really need to play well when it matters most.