• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool 3 (Sale, Saracens, Scarlets, Toulon)

What the ****ing **** was that card?!
He tried to wrap his arms but because the toulon hooker jumped into the tackle (which is illegal and should be a penalty) he gets a yellow card for it?!

WR are leaving players with absolutely no legal method of tackling head-on.

What a ****ing joke, I'm really starting to come round to the idea that over-caution is ruining rugby

I'm all for doing some pretty harsh things to make rugby a safer game, head wise, but I'm really doubting these new tackle laws are workable.

This is what happens when the conversation around player safety becomes hyperbolic... ref's interpretation of incidents becomes detached from reality.

WR are leaving players with absolutely no legal method of tackling head-on.
Agreed. You need to let him partially through and then grab him by the torso/hips/legs, which is obviously useless if you need to stop someone close to your try line.

I'm all for doing some pretty harsh things to make rugby a safer game, head wise, but I'm really doubting these new tackle laws are workable.

In all fairness I don't think this was about the new interpretations - it was about a) the preoccupation with "outcome" and b) the referee and TMO apparently not seeing the guy jump into a totally legal tackle and injuring himself. He should have been penalised, and given the risk to the tacklers head of jumping form that position, to be in line with the new head safety obsessions HE should have been yellow carded.

I'm in a foul mood now, the team I'd most like to crash out of europe have been saved by an appalling decision based on appalling WR priorities.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what happens when the conversation around player safety becomes hyperbolic... ref's interpretation of incidents becomes detached from reality.

Hyperbolic is the word, well said

It wasn't just the referee. The linesman was standing beside him and TMO was in full agreement. They had their minds made up even before the replay was shown. Confirmation bias at its finest.

Its a collective thing though.....crowds, commentators, players and referees are all becoming hysterical at events that 5 years ago they wouldn't have batted an eyelid at. Anything that looks painful has suddenly become illegal and worthy of contempt.

Also, since Dallaglio is saying it's about consistency (what a trite statement that is, at this point) - it's not about consistency. Consistency is important... that goes without saying.

But I don't care about consistency of implementation when the laws(/application of them) are not objective or reasonable.

- - - Updated - - -

Its a collective thing though.....crowds, commentators, players and referees are all becoming hysterical at events that 5 years ago they wouldn't have batted an eyelid at. Anything that looks painful has suddenly become illegal and worthy of contempt.

I couldn't agree more.

O'driscoll nailed it. Players are left wondering what they can/can't do. That is simply unacceptable.
We hear from left and right how they are trying to minimize high tackles and then you punish a guy for going low. I am seriously lost for words. Toulon's last two tries came from that call.
A terrible call might very well end up deciding the entire thing.

****ing hell that's shameless
Didn't they say they're going to start penalising for diving?
Penalty to Skelton, reversed and yellow card for Davies

my first thought too, i remember SC going on about how that would be a penalty now

i'm sticking with my belief at the time that they will only call a penalty if they dive when there is no foul play , if there is foul play and they dive they still go with the foul play

my first thought too, i remember SC going on about how that would be a penalty now

i'm sticking with my belief at the time that they will only call a penalty if they dive when there is no foul play , if there is foul play and they dive they still go with the foul play

...which totally defeats the object, because incidents like today will become the norm. Skelton did hit him, which is illegal, so Davies knows he has nothing to lose. Even though most refs wouldn't bother with any sanction if they picked up on that in open play, if they've gone to the TMO then they have to call it foul play because it technically is.

Just saw the final try for Saracens. Farrell is get but Ashton's reaction was tw*tish. Why did he have to go back and mouth off to the Scarlets players? Jamie George has to push him away.

What the ****ing **** was that card?!
He tried to wrap his arms but because the toulon hooker jumped into the tackle (which is illegal and should be a penalty) he gets a yellow card for it?!

What a ridiculous decision. 18 Gold makes a conscious decision to go low and wrap to avoid contact with the head, and STILL gets yellow carded

As a ball carrier, if you are going to go low and jump into a tackle the way Red 2 did, you are entirely responsible for what happens to you.

- - - Updated - - -

In all fairness I don't think this was about the new interpretations - it was about a) the preoccupation with "outcome" and b) the referee and TMO apparently not seeing the guy jump into a totally legal tackle and injuring himself.

THIS

He should have been penalised, and given the risk to the tacklers head of jumping form that position, to be in line with the new head safety obsessions HE should have been yellow carded.

and THIS

Has anyone got footage? All the highlights I can find skip that card.

Wtf... Seriously how can a ref possibly justify any sort of punishment for that? If anything punish the Toulon player for jumping into the tackle. It goes to what I said in the thread about this, ALL the responsibility on player safety is being put on the defender with a player being responsible for their own safety being completely ignored. That is just ridiculous.

I see that Wayne Pivac has come out in support of Diving Davies. If Davies was hit with sufficient force to be knocked back three paces before dropping to the ground clutching his head, why on earth wasn't he given a HIA?

Latest posts