• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pioneering spirit keeps American dream alive amid the reality of minority status

TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
usa_2614752.jpg

This week we will mostly be concerning ourselves with the 'all for one' spirit, post-try antics, falls from grace and a lack of grace.

With June pretty much out of the way, for many of the World Cup countries there is little competitive rugby left now until the tournament kicks off on September 7.

Those countries include the USA, who spent the past couple of weeks in England scrapping for the Churchill Cup, taking more of a beating than most. But the defeats tell only half the story.

England, as host nation, picked up the tab for the USA staying during the tournament, but didn't extend that tab to things like hotel internet access so the players could stay in touch with family, for example.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16016_7006857,00.html

More details in this article from the Irish Independent: http://www.independent.ie/sport/rug...d-the-reality-of-minority-status-2672736.html

That independent article is cracking read - got a lot of time for USA rugby!

Aye its a very good read and raises and points out many interesting points.

US are my second adopted team for the WC.

Aye its a very good read and raises and points out many interesting points.

US are my second adopted team for the WC.

England being your first adopted team ;-)

Seriously the US are doing wonders over there with the game of Rugby, with very limited funding, what it needs is a rich billionaire to create a franchise and market it in the correct way...

...being an American Rugger, let me just say that to play the game at our highest level (which obviously isn't anywhere near any of the major unions highest level) it takes a lot of commitment and personal sacrifice.
Great article from the Irish Independent. I'm glad they are highlighting the amateur nature that America, as well as a lot of the smaller Nations, still bring to the table.
I feel a good ole fashioned chant coming on..."USA, USA, USA, USA, USA!" LOL!
watermarked_thumbnail.aspx

what it needs is a rich billionaire to create a franchise and market it in the correct way...

You've just described the USA Sevens tournament.

Sevens is going to be much bigger in the US before the 15 game, I suspect. Talented college and university athletes are switching codes for the opportunity to become an Olympian and Sevens really lends itself well to a North American broadcast audience.

If the NFL are on strike/locked out come September/October, expect the profile of Rugby in North America to be raised.

Yes, HB_AJ is correct. Canada has already started University 7 tournaments to help foster a stronger team for the Olympics.

Latest posts