• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Penalty tries

edu48c

Academy Player
Can someone please tell me if penalty tries count for a bonus point?
We have a referee recently who stated that our team was not eligible for a bonus point as our fourth try was a penalty try!!

Is it written anywhere?
Thank you

Can someone please tell me if penalty tries count for a bonus point?
We have a referee recently who stated that our team was not eligible for a bonus point as our fourth try was a penalty try!!

Is it written anywhere?
Thank you
I'm not familiar with amateur rugby at all but in any regard that wouldn't be the referee decision and should be in the rules of whatever competition you are competing in. (Bonus Points are not part of Rugby's Laws)

What the referee would be right in saying is a Penalty Try is not a Try and is defined as a different method of scoring under law 8.1. In which case I would say the competition laws would have to specifically include penalty try's towards bonus points.

I'm not familiar with amateur rugby at all but in any regard that wouldn't be the referee decision and should be in the rules of whatever competition you are competing in. (Bonus Points are not part of Rugby's Laws)

What the referee would be right in saying is a Penalty Try is not a Try and is defined as a different method of scoring under law 8.1. In which case I would say the competition laws would have to specifically include penalty try's towards bonus points.

Internationally I'm sure I've seen games where PTs have counted towards the bonus try tally. It would seem a bit daft not including it seeing as the reasoning is the team had as good as scored a try but were only prevented by foul play.

As a retired community ref, the above answer is correct.
I generally reffed in east mids , but did a number of exchanges with Leicestershire and some local competition rules had differences.
Cup competitions were worse.
Best bet ask local ref society for clarity with regards to the particular competition/ league.
Enjoy.

Crazy if PTs don't count, try would have been scored but was stopped by foul play...the ref 'sorry no bp because you didnt score that try, I DID'

Latest posts