• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pat Lambie In My Opinion

rugby-journo

Academy Player
Clearly Pat Lambie is talented for his age and posseses a fair amount of natural ability, but the extent to which this guy is rated is becoming a bit too much for me to stomach.

Calling a guy a decent player is one thing, but being named Currie Cup player of the month, making SA Rugby Magazine's cover and having the majority of South Africa want you as the E-O-Y-T flyhalf is bordering on bizarre. I am sorry but how did he get CC player of the month over Vermeulen, Basson or Willem Alberts? He hasn't been bad but come on, if he was 25 and playing like this people wouldn't give him a second glance.

The only thing I really see in him is a good vision. Otherwise, his kicking, defending, handling and passing are all not up to standard and he isn't a particularly quick runner. I just feel that the Sharks were doing so badly in the S14 that the expectations of Lambie were incredibly low, but he put in some decent performances which has seen him being hailed as the saviour of South African rugby.

No doubt it now seems like I have something against Pat. I really don't. I have something against how hecticly people rate this guy. He really hasn't been THAT good. And in my opinion, he is nowhere near international standard, not by a long shot. And don't label me as someone who will unfairly judge a player because he's too young. I love a young team. Apart from Stefan Terblanche and Victor Matfield, I hate having Dinosaurs roaming the pitch.

It's just that I don't really see Lambie getting much better then he is now - which is not Springbok worthy. And I'm sorry to say, but, he only made the Sharks team because there is no one else. With Meyer injured, who the heck else are they donna put at flyhalf? Dumond?:huh: Pretorious?:eek::eek::eek:

All I am asking is that people please stop carrying on about this guy like he's Steve Larkham. As far as the end of year tour flyhalf goes (our third choice will be selected as Morne will be rested and James is injured), most people are unaware that Riaan Viljoen's first choice position is flyhalf. He is an amazing talent and a real gamebreaker on his day. I would love to see Riaan Viljoen given a fly half berth on the EYOT and Sarel Pretorious a scrumhalf berth for that matter (I am the president of the move Hougaard to wing fanclub:lol:)

Lambie is on the bench this weekend... but its only the Leopards.......

and his is coping with the pressure but only time will tell...

Last edited:
I agree that the whole Lambie-hype is a bit too much but he did deserve the Player of the Month award in my opinion. He's a great prospect for the future and I truly hope he can get his kicking abilities up to international level. We've lost a game or 2 this Currie Cup because of missed convertions and that bugs me a little. However, everything is better than that tosser Andre Pretorius.

I just hope Lambie will get a chance as a centre, his best position, together with Terblanche.

I agree that the whole Lambie-hype is a bit too much but he did deserve the Player of the Month award in my opinion. He's a great prospect for the future and I truly hope he can get his kicking abilities up to international level. We've lost a game or 2 this Currie Cup because of missed convertions and that bugs me a little. However, everything is better than that tosser Andre Pretorius.

I just hope Lambie will get a chance as a centre, his best position, together with Terblanche.

But Duane Vermeulen has absolutely played his heart out for WP. On current form, Duane is our best no. 8. And he was in his best form during that month when Lambie won it. Seems a bit unfair to me. If Vermeulen was 19 he would win Player of the month 12 months a year

You ask everbody to be objective while you say Vermeulen would have won the award 12 months in a row if he was 19... Hmmm. WP supporter I assume? You can say what you want but Lambie has made some big improvements and has been very important for the Sharks-wins that month. I agree with you he is not as good as people make him out to be but Vermeulen is not as awesome as you try to make us believe either. Vermeulen is a good 8-man but not better than Kankowski or Spies in the long run (yet)

Lambie seems quite a quagmire to me...

When he played for the u19s and u21s, his goal kicking was very good considering his age, and he on the basis of the games I've seen ( the u19 and u20 games), he was a much better kicker than any other union player of the same age.
Now he has suddenly developed this hook, nad at least 9 of the games this season he has missed his first kick. Most of the time he went on to have a fantastic kicking display (see Lions and Bulls game in durban). I can only see pressure being the cause, yet this 'pressure' doesn't effect his all round play, so it can't be that.

His passing, recieving, catching and general handling are his strong points imo, and most days he does fantastic kick-offs (they are either good or go into touch)

He has come through the academy and through Michealhouse, and both those systems revolve around ball retention, and even then when he played as full-back (most of his school and professional career) he didn't do much kicking, and often ran the ball up with the wings coming in support. I think this, and the similair gameplan currently played by the sharks is why his general kicking (especially distance) seems to be a weakness. I have no doubt that as his career, and experience, furthers, he will iron these things out.

Duane vermuelen got man of the month last month, Im pretty sure a player can't get it twice in a row? (In ABSA Currie Cup)

@ rugby-journo

I sense either a twin, or indeed a return of rugby-writer

However, I digress

this Sarel Pretoruis you speak of, is this by any chance the same player who was dropped halfway through the season, only to return due to his 'replacement' being injured?
Riaan Viljoen, Davon Reubenheimer and Sarel Pretorius are only the shadows of the players they were last season (I include the 2010 S14 as part of last years campaign)

Last edited:
Your assumption of rugby-journo

My 'assumptions' (more accusation) of the users apparent, ahem, 'split' peronality/identity(s) have yet to proved, indeed, my 'accusations' have little base, as they are:

The username(s)?
The shared hatred (more fear I think) of the Mighty Natal Sharks
The shared location
Critizing of certain players, when there are more 'unskilled' players to critize, and they are critized due to them have national colours as opposed to their Bulls/Stormers demi-god counterparts
The making of bold and often ignorant statements
The shared thinking in that Pat Lambie only looked good for the Sharks because they were so crap when they won 7 of their last 8 games.
Oh yes, and that the Sharks are still crap as they only won 7 of their last 8 games
And as lucky number7 so subtledly pointed out, the posts seem to have wee bit of a complaining tone.

I should become a detective me thinks

My 'assumptions' (more accusation) of the users apparent, ahem, 'split' peronality/identity(s) have yet to proved, indeed, my 'accusations' have little base, as they are:

The username(s)?
The shared hatred (more fear I think) of the Mighty Natal Sharks
The shared location
Critizing of certain players, when there are more 'unskilled' players to critize, and they are critized due to them have national colours as opposed to their Bulls/Stormers demi-god counterparts
The making of bold and often ignorant statements
The shared thinking in that Pat Lambie only looked good for the Sharks because they were so crap when they won 7 of their last 8 games.
Oh yes, and that the Sharks are still crap as they only won 7 of their last 8 games
And as lucky number7 so subtledly pointed out, the posts seem to have wee bit of a complaining tone.

I should become a detective me thinks

cyRil's currently recruiting!

You and cyRil should go into business together, after he outed dynamite :p

Edit: Gah, Cymro beat me to it!

Now the comment makes sense, 'dynamite' was a sarries fan, right? Not too many of those running around, was bound to raise questions

Sarries fans? Here? Never! wait... there is? Can't be!

...Damn, I wanted to see how longer this would last before someone ousted him. Ahh well, if it looks like ****, takstes like **** and sounds like ****, chances are...

...Damn, I wanted to see how longer this would last before someone ousted him. Ahh well, if it looks like ****, takstes like **** and sounds like ****, chances are...

Its chocolate?

EDIT:

I am gay, tra la la!
I am gay trrrra la la!!!

Last edited:
fc56260_facepalm.jpg

Latest posts