• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Norway - Denmark

hermanshire

Academy Player
Country Flag
Norway
Club or Nation
Scarlets
Norway played 14-14 against Denmark at Bislett Stadium in Oslo today (october 16th) Norway fumbled with the ball in much of the first half, giving the danes great chances. and there was alot of poor passing that stopped the norwegians chances. Norway improved in the second half going from 3-8 to leading 14-11 with 5 minutes left. Former Irish player Michael Bradley was at the match and was interviewed during the halftime.

http://www.fira-aer-rugby.com/match.php?id=625

Last edited:
Here in Norway there were 1502 active rugby players in 2009. TV have started sending more rugby this year. 2 matches where our national team have played and matches from guinness premiership. Hopefully it will increase the interest of the sport. There is a XV-league with 6 teams. But all together there is 27 teams. Most of them, play 7's or 10 rugby

http://stats.espnscrum.com/statsgur...ml?class=1;team=68;template=results;type=team

Here in Norway there were 1502 active rugby players in 2009. TV have started sending more rugby this year. 2 matches where our national team have played and matches from guinness premiership. Hopefully it will increase the interest of the sport. There is a XV-league with 6 teams. But all together there is 27 teams. Most of them, play 7's or 10 rugby

http://stats.espnscrum.com/statsgur...ml?class=1;team=68;template=results;type=team

Thats good. The IRB could be doing more to push rugby in Europe. Theres potentially a massive market there and lots of teams and we could do with a few new teams.

No doubt having 7's as an olympic sport will help alot.

I wish that Rugby sites like Scrum etc could have better coverage of matches in smaller rugby nations

I wish that Rugby sites like Scrum etc could have better coverage of matches in smaller rugby nations

It's difficult for them though. They're a commercial website and have to look at which stories are going to bring in the most readers. Unfortunately for Denmark and Norway, a game between them is less likely to capture the imagination than a Southland Canturbury match or something similar. Perhaps the Irb should be the ones doing a better job of covering these types of games.

Yes off course i understand that it´s difficult for sites like scrum. and i agree that irb should be better in covering what happend around the rugby world. But also the media here Norway too should be better. I quite sure that more people in Norway read norwegian newspapers than checking out the irbs website. Just an example from another sport. Cricket is "big" Norway. They have 4 divisions with about 10 teams in each divison. This is hardly ever mentioned in any norwegian media. Exept, sometime when there is a scandal. (usually with the pakistani team). In stead what they write about in the newspapers and show on television is the gay version of rugby, American Football. This even though there are hardly anyone who play this sport in this country. Rugby is bigger than american football. Media have weird priority.

Yes off course i understand that it´s difficult for sites like scrum. and i agree that irb should be better in covering what happend around the rugby world. But also the media here Norway too should be better. I quite sure that more people in Norway read norwegian newspapers than checking out the irbs website. Just an example from another sport. Cricket is "big" Norway. They have 4 divisions with about 10 teams in each divison. This is hardly ever mentioned in any norwegian media. Exept, sometime when there is a scandal. (usually with the pakistani team). In stead what they write about in the newspapers and show on television is the gay version of rugby, American Football. This even though there are hardly anyone who play this sport in this country. Rugby is bigger than american football. Media have weird priority.

And rugby is more a popular sport and a global game compared with American football.

Organise a group of rugby fans to keep writing into the media about rugby. That way at least they're thinking about it.

The IRB have been very poor at promotin rugby more throughout Europe. What annoyed me is they spent so much time trying to get Argentina into the tri nations when Argentina is already a top rugby nation! Other countries are struggling to field teams because they can't afford it.

I also think there should be relegation in the 6 nations. It would mean Scotland or Italy having to play a season against lesser teams but what it would mean also is a chance for the likes of Georgia, Germany, Russia etc to fight for a place in the 6 nations. They'd get hammered but the popularity of the game would grow in those countries multiple times faster if theres the carrot of the 6 nations as a prize. I'd imagine it would generate alot of media coverage.

And rugby is more a popular sport and a global game compared with American football.

Organise a group of rugby fans to keep writing into the media about rugby. That way at least they're thinking about it.

The IRB have been very poor at promotin rugby more throughout Europe. What annoyed me is they spent so much time trying to get Argentina into the tri nations when Argentina is already a top rugby nation! Other countries are struggling to field teams because they can't afford it.

I also think there should be relegation in the 6 nations. It would mean Scotland or Italy having to play a season against lesser teams but what it would mean also is a chance for the likes of Georgia, Germany, Russia etc to fight for a place in the 6 nations. They'd get hammered but the popularity of the game would grow in those countries multiple times faster if theres the carrot of the 6 nations as a prize. I'd imagine it would generate alot of media coverage.

Could not agree more. Rugby will never be a global game unless the focus of the IRB is helping smaller nations grow and catch up. Promo-relegation 6 Nations would be great, but only if another team had to beat the last place getter to qualify.

I also think that the winners of the top tier of the European Nations Cup should be promoted to the Six Nations to give themselves a chance of improving their rugby. Not only that but local media may improve their coverage of the game if their national team is playing in the 6N. Also government grants to the sport may improve too. Surely a win-win scenario all round? I've found FIRA-AER website awesome for coverage of the European Nations Cup and age grade rugby too. http://www.fira-aer-rugby.com/

@hermanshire Thanks for the link to the match video, much appreciated. Well worth watching.

Good to see Scandinavian countries playing rugby. Can you please tell me which countries of the 4 are better?

Latest posts