Noob question

Amobokoboko

Waikato Junglist
Country Flag
Belgium
Club or Nation
Chiefs
Hi guys,

First encounter with league were the games broadcasted by the BBC ( especially Leeds & Wigan). While living in NZ I saw some Auckland/ Vodafone/ NZ Warriors games.
( Ruben Wiki is a legend) and occasionally I follow the 4 N.

Last week I was approached by one of the Aussies with whom I play cricket and I decided to join his Aussie footie club. I didn't play that much rugby this year and the games are scheduled when we don't have cricket so looking forward to it.

The question I would like to raise is the following: Why is there only one NZ team competing in the NRL. I know league is big in the Auckland region. But my colleagues in Rotorua and even friends in Invercargill plays some league.

Those teams could use the stadiums of the Union teams like the Warriors do.
There are plenty of kiwis, Samoans, Tongans, Fijians etc... playing in OZ so it wouldn't be that hard to start add a new team. Unless cash is the main reason.

Any feedback is more then welcome.

Hi guys,

First encounter with league were the games broadcasted by the BBC ( especially Leeds & Wigan). While living in NZ I saw some Auckland/ Vodafone/ NZ Warriors games.
( Ruben Wiki is a legend) and occasionally I follow the 4 N.

Last week I was approached by one of the Aussies with whom I play cricket and I decided to join his Aussie footie club. I didn't play that much rugby this year and the games are scheduled when we don't have cricket so looking forward to it.

The question I would like to raise is the following: Why is there only one NZ team competing in the NRL. I know league is big in the Auckland region. But my colleagues in Rotorua and even friends in Invercargill plays some league.

Those teams could use the stadiums of the Union teams like the Warriors do.
There are plenty of kiwis, Samoans, Tongans, Fijians etc... playing in OZ so it wouldn't be that hard to start add a new team. Unless cash is the main reason.

Any feedback is more then welcome.

The NRL is an Australian competition, so they make the rules, and they have decided that there is only to be one team from NZ. There was a move a few years ago to have a second team, probably based in Wellington or Christchurch, but the NRL declined.

What's the actual difference between NRL and AFL?

Many thanks.

NRL = National Rugby League = The top level of Rugby League competition in Australia (and New Zealand) and also the governing body
AFL = Australian Football League = The top level of Aussie Rules Football in Australia and also the governing body

What's the actual difference between NRL and AFL?

Many thanks.

NRL is the National Rugby League, the domestic Rugby League competition in Australia that also contains one team from New Zealand.

AFL is the Australian Football League which is Australian Rules Football (also known as 'Aussie Rules') - a completely different sport. Aussie Rules is played with a similar ball but on an oval pitch and involves kicking and catching a lot more and points are exclusively scored by kicking through one of 3 posts. For more general info on it look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_rules_football. My best description of the sport is it is like Netball played with a Rugby ball, fast paced and very exciting.

Hope that helps!

NRL = National Rugby League = The top level of Rugby League competition in Australia (and New Zealand) and also the governing body
AFL = Australian Football League = The top level of Aussie Rules Football in Australia and also the governing body

Damn beaten to it! :mad:

Cheers.
I tought it was the same. So I enrolled for Aussie Footie. Cool.

Awesome! good luck with playing aussie rules a brilliant game. I'm an armchair fan of the game because im rubbish at playing it. If you want to watch some AFL i can send you some torrent links when the footy season starts.

My best description of the sport is it is like Netball played with a Rugby ball, fast paced and very exciting.

No netball your movement is extremely restricted and the women wear skirts. :lol: Rugby Union and Aussie rules is like chess and checkers and you have to have a different physique to play the game and the positions are far less defined its like total football in soccer the defenders can be the attackers and vice versa.

Last edited:
If you could send me ore info, would be cool.
I only saw some highlights but it seems you need to play it before you can understand it :)

AFL reminds me much more of american football than netball. Simply because it acts like more of a chess match (as redunderthebed said) and the emphasis on catching is huge. It's really a lot like a more strategic form of soccer(or football, excuse my americanism :D) Due to the kicking aspect. I've began to watch the sport on one of the WorldView international TV channels, and it looks really fun. I'd like to play it sometime but the closest team is an hour away and it's metro footy. (Aussie Footy on a football field) But it's cool because I'm in the tournament part of my rugby season and my team has been doing a lot of traveling.

Latest posts