• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

nick williams must be banned for 2 years.

rugbylegs

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Just watching Ulster vs Cardiff and nick williams came in with the elbow. As far as I am concerened he he be banned for two years considering the damage he may have caused to Rhys patchel. If that happend on the street it would be grevious bodily harm. No place in rugby union forvsuch thuggery!

Shame on Nick Williams and shame on Ulster Rugby.

Didn't see it, but I will be amazed if it receives double the maximum possible sanction!

When will people learn that saying "if this happened on the street" is meaningless. As Brain Moore tweeted today, it isn't the street and the law clearly accepts this.

Didn't see it, but I will be amazed if it receives double the maximum possible sanction!

When will people learn that saying "if this happened on the street" is meaningless. As Brain Moore tweeted today, it isn't the street and the law clearly accepts this.

I agree, but if a formal complaint was to be made to the police, they would have no choice but to take action. It just does not happen.

I haven't seen the incident but as RRFC says - the whole implied consent thing renders the "if it happened on the street" argument void.

Was 100% a red, disgusted that it was only given a yellow. Deserves a hefty ban as it was a dirty cheap shot that caused a serious injury. Wouldn't go as far as 2 years, but shouldnt be a short ban at all.

A massive cheap shot. There was no attempt to joint he ruck with the arms, leading to reckless contact with upper arm/shoulder with the head. I thought it was a red, but then I suppose it's difficult to be impartial when it's on a player from the team you support.

In saying that, there was a completely impartial Irish TMO on hand at Ravenhill so there couldn't be any problems there... :rolleyes: ;).

I hope Patchell is OK as this is another big injury for him and it's really frustrating the way it happened.

Talking of which, whoever wrote that piece is a complete and utter pillock. Journalistic integrity is going down the toilet these days. Why work hard on a well researched balanced piece when you can write any old lazy piece of clickbait poo and get more hits through the reaction?

Didn't realise there was a thread for this, commented on it regards the North KO. Sounded like a blatant red from the reports I've read.

He will get cited ... well one hopes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terrible incident. Not sure if there's a lot of malice in it, it could just be Nick Williams showing his complete lack of care and intelligence. Either way it's 12 weeks for me, the stupidity of that man will never fail to surprise me.

Talking of which, whoever wrote that piece is a complete and utter pillock. Journalistic integrity is going down the toilet these days. Why work hard on a well researched balanced piece when you can write any old lazy piece of clickbait poo and get more hits through the reaction?

Cross posting a bit, but I said pretty much the same in the 6N forum, I realised I was about to react as the author intended and closed the tab. Possibly a lack of joined up thinking from the Fail's sport section as my impression recently has been that they've been upping their rugby coverage, so why have their boxing writer produce a piece designed to annoy rugby supporters?

Wow, that was so obviously deliberate, I'm shocked the ref/TMO let him return to the pitch.

Watching further, the TMO "It was the Shoulder/upper arm"? What the hell was that idiot drinking/smoking?

Last edited:
Terrible incident. Not sure if there's a lot of malice in it, it could just be Nick Williams showing his complete lack of care and intelligence. Either way it's 12 weeks for me, the stupidity of that man will never fail to surprise me.

I'd be surprised to see as long a ban as that - some intent and plenty of carelessness makes it mid range (6 weeks), so a four week ban as long as he Tweets that he's sorry!

Banned for 2 years, a tad excessive. Definite red and probably banned for the rest of the season.

Watching further, the TMO "It was the Shoulder/upper arm"? What the hell was that idiot drinking/smoking?

Err... it was the bicep that made contact with Patchell and the motion is clearly a hip drive with a bit of a swinging arm - very reckless and illegal, as there is zero attempt to bind, but I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with?!
If that's where your elbow is I think you need to see a doctor! :p

Missed Ulster game. Was there any sanction at time for it?

Yellow card.

I wasn't watching either so this is my first view of it - pretty lucky to only get a yellow. I should watch with the sound down and see if the TMO/ref thought it was accidental. I presume they did for there only to be a yellow. Wouldn't be surprised by a ban at all.

Definitely reckless and hopelessly stupid. The kind of thuggery we want to stamp out of the game f'sure.

Two years though? Personally I wouldn't agree with that. That should be reserved for the most extreme circumstances imaginable, like taking illegal drugs, choking somebody at the bottom of the ruck, on field fighting that is totally over blown. Should Williams miss a few games because of that? Absolutely. But I don't think he ever went in thinking "right, I'm going to end your career here and now" .. I think it was just stupidness. It also sticks in my mind how Bismark du Plessis kicked somebody in the head in a Super Rugby game recently. One of the most dangerous things I've seen in the last few years, but I think his four match ban and red card was sufficient. And I don't think this is worse than that. (and I realize du Plessis was being antagonized in a scrappy game so the circumstances were different but still....head is sacred in rugby).

2 years is such a big statement and benchmark to set. You would probably be bound to consider other factors as well, like the player's track record. In Williams case, he probably hasn't had clean hands over the years when it comes to that, lol. I vaguely remember him being in good form for the Blues years and years ago, and then he turned a bit lazy and sloppy. A bit like a Sione Luaki type player.

Last edited:
Just watching Ulster vs Cardiff and nick williams came in with the elbow. As far as I am concerened he he be banned for two years considering the damage he may have caused to Rhys patchel. If that happend on the street it would be grevious bodily harm. No place in rugby union forvsuch thuggery!

Shame on Nick Williams and shame on Ulster Rugby.

For the love of god will someone please think of the children!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts