• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NFL Thread

What a sad state of affairs. Not the first time I've said this, and won't be the last, but American football is a joke sport.
I reckon it's happened in football on a few occasions.

There has been a few transfers where it certainly looks like it's to open up a new market and cash in on shirt sales.

TBF LRZ is young.

He needs to work on his explosiveness and it will prob be the main focus if he can get two years training. With practice spots nfl are generally pretty willing to give people time.
He wasn't in the frame for the lions, with the way Wales and Gloucester played this year that wouldn't have changed either.

France are tightening their purse strings more to UK talent. Would've been amazed if he would have gotten an offer over 350k and he could still prob get an good offer from Japan in a couple years

France are tightening their purse strings more to UK talent.
Really? Feels like the last two years they've signed more British players than all previous years combined - maybe that's just because there's been more English players moving across

French salaries are only going up, might not be as mental as they once were because rugby in the UK is on deaths door, but there's no way LRZ is getting < 350k in France, not in a world where the corpse of Jack Nowell is getting over half a million

TBF LRZ is young.

He needs to work on his explosiveness and it will prob be the main focus if he can get two years training. With practice spots nfl are generally pretty willing to give people time.
He wasn't in the frame for the lions, with the way Wales and Gloucester played this year that wouldn't have changed either.

France are tightening their purse strings more to UK talent. Would've been amazed if he would have gotten an offer over 350k and he could still prob get an good offer from Japan in a couple years
He isn't young though for NFL standards especially when he is a raw canvas. Like he is learning basics and plays on the go. Everything he has been learning the last few weeks is null and void now as he goes to a new playbook and offense scheme.

I saw that Practise Squad players can be used 3 times a year in the main squad - odds on him being brought in on special teams for the London game?
He looked rubbish at running back but as a punt chaser and returner he did OK - could see them using him in a low risk role to bump up the publicity for the London game (if they even need it considering how quickly they sell out)

He isn't young though for NFL standards especially when he is a raw canvas. Like he is learning basics and plays on the go. Everything he has been learning the last few weeks is null and void now as he goes to a new playbook and offense scheme.
NFL standards he is young?

The average rookie age of the last draft class was 23 years old
The raw canvas is here or there, Maliata was a raw canvas and it took 2 years for him to become a level of the nfl standard.

Unless you are in the first 3 rounds of the draft people don't expect you to be involved much your first couple seasons even then outside the 1st round it's iffy.
I don't expect him to get game time this year, but if Alex gray got 2/3 seasons on the practice squad so will LRZ and I reckon with proper nfl specific conditioning he could have a decent chance

Last edited:
Really? Feels like the last two years they've signed more British players than all previous years combined - maybe that's just because there's been more English players moving across

French salaries are only going up, might not be as mental as they once were because rugby in the UK is on deaths door, but there's no way LRZ is getting < 350k in France, not in a world where the corpse of Jack Nowell is getting over half a million
I mean Marus smith was offered 350k by racing. Merchant is rumored to be on similar.
I've seen people say Nowell is on 725k a year I find that very hard to believe

NFL standards he is young?

The average rookie age of the last draft class was 23 years old
The raw canvas is here or there, Maliata was a raw canvas and it took 2 years for him to become a level of the nfl standard.

Unless you are in the first 3 rounds of the draft people don't expect you to be involved much your first couple seasons even then outside the 1st round it's iffy.
I don't expect him to get game time this year, but if Alex gray got 2/3 seasons on the practice squad so will LRZ and I reckon with proper nfl specific conditioning he could have a decent chance
Yes but those rookies have played at a decent level college level. By the age of 28 running backs are in decline per the science. Now exclude marketing reasons. Would he be worth the investment especially when you consider if he makes the main roster his salary will be up and in the salary cap.

Maliata is not a comparison as he plays in the OL and attributes are totally different and position is based on power and technique which he could transfer from previous sport. Also he would not have to learn the plays as extensively as LRZ.

Yes but those rookies have played at a decent level college level. By the age of 28 running backs are in decline per the science. Now exclude marketing reasons. Would he be worth the investment especially when you consider if he makes the main roster his salary will be up and in the salary cap.

Maliata is not a comparison as he plays in the OL and attributes are totally different and position is based on power and technique which he could transfer from previous sport. Also he would not have to learn the plays as extensively as LRZ.

It is a comparison though, you can't transfer any rugby technique into blocking certainly not rugby league. Dude tackled and run with the ball what is the technique comparison? He needs to learn the same stuff LRZ learns because he has to create the gaps or protection for the RB and QB a offensive lineman who doesn't know where he is blocking too is as useless as a RB who doesn't know his route.

If he gets 2 years practice he will be 25/26 gives him around 3 years prime which for most nfl teams they will take.

Personally RB isn't his position anyway he's too rigid, it needs to be like a slot receiver or a kinda Wes Welker style WR.
Considering worse players have gotten more years in the practice squads I feel people are too quick to be slamming the door.

I reckon it's happened in football on a few occasions.

There has been a few transfers where it certainly looks like it's to open up a new market and cash in on shirt sales.
I can't really think of any. Not to say it's never happened but I honestly don't think it factors in any European top league clubs thinking.

TBF LRZ is young.

Not in the frame for the lions? Nah, of course he was in the conversation.

Edit, I'd go further and say he was almost a dead cert to be in the squad. Maybe not guaranteed starter but to say he wasn't in the frame is ridiculous.

It is a comparison though, you can't transfer any rugby technique into blocking certainly not rugby league. Dude tackled and run with the ball what is the technique comparison? He needs to learn the same stuff LRZ learns because he has to create the gaps or protection for the RB and QB a offensive lineman who doesn't know where he is blocking too is as useless as a RB who doesn't know his route.

If he gets 2 years practice he will be 25/26 gives him around 3 years prime which for most nfl teams they will take.

Personally RB isn't his position anyway he's too rigid, it needs to be like a slot receiver or a kinda Wes Welker style WR.
Considering worse players have gotten more years in the practice squads I feel people are too quick to be slamming the door.
He had technique from his PI days where they do sumo wrestling and the likes. He had the block technique. Not perfected. But had something. LTZ may break the mould but I'd argue Christian Wade looked better and he didn't make it. LRZ already put out saying he can't wait to see guys in few weeks for London game. If he wasn't British would he have got the deal?
I hope LRZ does make it but odds are slim

He had technique from his PI days where they do sumo wrestling and the likes. He had the block technique. Not perfected. But had something. LTZ may break the mould but I'd argue Christian Wade looked better and he didn't make it. LRZ already put out saying he can't wait to see guys in few weeks for London game. If he wasn't British would he have got the deal?
I hope LRZ does make it but odds are slim
Maliata is born and bred Aussie

I agree that Wade is better suited but he imo would've made it if he went to the NFL at LRZ age of 23 rather than 29.

LRZ prob would've gotten a PS spot yes

Not in the frame for the lions? Nah, of course he was in the conversation.

Edit, I'd go further and say he was almost a dead cert to be in the squad. Maybe not guaranteed starter but to say he wasn't in the frame is ridiculous.
Disagree I would say Hansen, DVDM, IFW, Freeman, Lowe all potentially ahead of him at least.

No way he would've shone with that wales team.

Maliata is born and bred Aussie

I agree that Wade is better suited but he imo would've made it if he went to the NFL at LRZ age of 23 rather than 29.

LRZ prob would've gotten a PS spot yes
Yes but a strong Samoan heritage that formed his upbringing.
As I said LRZ I hope does go well but if he had potential the Chiefs would have kept him on practice squad. It was a free hit effectively for them.
Jags have him for marketing mire than anything and @TRF_Olyy said it. I won't be surprised to see him wheeled out for kick return in London.
Wouldn't rule out him being cut after London too

Latest posts