• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand at Argentina 2016

sublimaze1

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
New Zealand
I am seeing two "proposed" dates for this. One is 30Sep2016 and one is 1Oct2016 at Estadio Único Ciudad de La Plata. Anyone with clarification on this would be appreciated.

I am planning on trekking down there for it and It would be nice to know.

As far as i understand, the date is set but the venue is not [insert liability disclaimer here]. It's probably either Mendoza or La Plata. La Plata is close to Buenos Aires City, while Mendoza is a 14 hr bus ride (tons of overnight buses available, quite a few reasonably comfortable). Mendoza is well worth a couple of days, too. Quite a few trekking spots there.
I'd wait if i were you.

UAR ain't very good with these things tbh. I mean, they released Jaguare's t-shirt roughly 10 days before their first warm up game. They've made the inclusion in Super Rugby their marketing flagship and you cannot buy the jersey anywhere (yet). You have 99% the rugby community complimenting a historic (first Argentine team) t-shirt's design yet they are not for sale.

Thank you for the insight.

I am taking a week off from work anyway… Going to do some other things in country.

I can always move my departure back a day. But I seem to recall it being Saturday rather than Friday night.

I agree that Argentina doesn't seem to have its stuff together regarding rugby. Or even many other venues and events.

I hope that this thread can stay open until some definitive answers come through.

And if any All Blacks fans are going, arranging a get together would certainly be appropriate

Mendoza won't host any Rugby Championship match this year.

As far as i understand, the date is set but the venue is not [insert liability disclaimer here]. It's probably either Mendoza or La Plata. La Plata is close to Buenos Aires City, while Mendoza is a 14 hr bus ride (tons of overnight buses available, quite a few reasonably comfortable). Mendoza is well worth a couple of days, too. Quite a few trekking spots there.
I'd wait if i were you.

UAR ain't very good with these things tbh. I mean, they released Jaguare's t-shirt roughly 10 days before their first warm up game. They've made the inclusion in Super Rugby their marketing flagship and you cannot buy the jersey anywhere (yet). You have 99% the rugby community complimenting a historic (first Argentine team) t-shirt's design yet they are not for sale.

Mendoza is the place to go if fancy yourself as a wine connoisseur.

Their Malbecs and Merlots are to die for... especially Trapiche.

Mendoza is the place to go if fancy yourself as a wine connoisseur.

Their Malbecs and Merlots are to die for... especially Trapiche.

This actually helps. I have already snagged the airline (frequent flyer) so I have the option of moving it back a day to accommodate a Friday night test - but would rather keep it as be for a Saturday date. If it falls through (and - sadly - the one purpose for this trip is/was to see the fixture) we can hop a flight to Mendoza and do the wine venue. "She" will like that better than the match. But I am flexible.

Gracias!

Well, from a Wine perspective, Salta is pretty damm good too. Michel Rolland has a few wineries there. Trying a Yacochuya should be compulsory. It's expensive thou.
Rule of thumb for Argentine wines is, stick to malbec, cav sauv and torrontes. The rest are poor by european standards.

If you like to travel, i'd say it's even better. Salta and surroundings are mind blowing and more raw than mendoza. it's a close ride to go to Jujuy. Check out places like cafayate, purmamarca, tilcara, humahuaca.
The time of the year should be ok too.
It's a perfect area (North West) to rent a car, do a bit of town hopping and enjoy beautiful towns that are connected by a surreal landscape. Amicable and easy going food paired with good wine. It's considerable cheaper than most of the country too.

- - - Updated - - -

Just realized we play in Twickenham!
Good, might be able to go.

Gracias!

Well, from a Wine perspective, Salta is pretty damm good too. Michel Rolland has a few wineries there. Trying a Yacochuya should be compulsory. It's expensive thou.
Rule of thumb for Argentine wines is, stick to malbec, cav sauv and torrontes. The rest are poor by european standards.

If you like to travel, i'd say it's even better. Salta and surroundings are mind blowing and more raw than mendoza. it's a close ride to go to Jujuy. Check out places like cafayate, purmamarca, tilcara, humahuaca.
The time of the year should be ok too.
It's a perfect area (North West) to rent a car, do a bit of town hopping and enjoy beautiful towns that are connected by a surreal landscape. Amicable and easy going food paired with good wine. It's considerable cheaper than most of the country too.

- - - Updated - - -

Just realized we play in Twickenham!
Good, might be able to go.

Nice, you sold me Salta just fine, and Im argentine, haha.

About playing in Twickenham, i have mixed feelings, amd I know its a money thing, but i believe that it has to be played in Argentina. Sport wise, we will lose the home advantage. Also, only very few argie fans will be able to attend the stadium.

So ....

http://www.espn.co.uk/rugby/schedule/_/league/268559/date/20161001

It looks as if this will be an afternoon fixture, with it on Saturday, rather than an evening on Friday. Again, this is prelim, so I am not fully banking on it; sites do not have tickets for purchase yet (some of the outlets have quotes, but they are not guaranteed as valid, no "click to buy" button, etc.

Now here is my bent: I am not sitting amongst the Argentinian faithful in my jersey and hat without backup :)

I need to know if anyone else is venturing this way, with the auspices of cheering for the All Blacks.

Thoughts?

The Rugby Championship 2016

- Argentina v South Africa: Padre Martearena Stadium (Salta)

- Argentina v New Zealand: River Plate Stadium (Buenos Aires)

- Argentina v Australia: Twickenham Stadium (London, UK)

http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2016/03/10/argentina-will-play-new-zealand-river-plate-stadium/

Why?

- still wondering if it going to be October 1 or not. One site suggests it ... but no confirmation.

This site has it OCT 1...

http://www.lassen.co.nz/pickandgo.php?ven=fix#gst

...but nothing on the SANZAAR Rugby Championship website

Last edited:
They have already changed the venue (earlier this month, if I am correct) from La Plata (Estadio Unico) to River Plate (Antonio Vespucio). So there is bound to be some other changes ... it's still far off. I simply hope that the 1pm whistle holds, as I don't think I can get in any earlier.

Money. That's it.
Pretty much everyone agrees this move is nothing short of bat**** crazy. A puma who wished to remain anonymous stated earlier this year:

"If this gets confirmed, it's crazy. They want to promote rugby in Argentina and they give away one of the main games we have this year. They also add another trip to the toll."

UAR couldn't organize a pissup at a brewery, so i'm not sure what am i surprised about.

If pumas play at river then its a relief. While the stadium is older than "La plata" it´s easy to get to it. Well at least form i live like 15 min ride haha.

Anyone with knowledge of ticket sales yet?

Nothing yet, its too early. But check this website from time to time. Here are sold the Jagures' tickets for Super Rugby:

https://www.tuentrada.com

- - - Updated - - -

Money. That's it.
Pretty much everyone agrees this move is nothing short of bat**** crazy. A puma who wished to remain anonymous stated earlier this year:

"If this gets confirmed, it's crazy. They want to promote rugby in Argentina and they give away one of the main games we have this year. They also add another trip to the toll."

And he speaks the truth.
I could be mistaken, but i read somewhere that according to UAR, the reason behind this decision is that the revenue of the game wont be enough to afford the costs. Honestly, I dont buy that.

I could be mistaken, but i read somewhere that according to UAR, the reason behind this decision is that the revenue of the game wont be enough to afford the costs. Honestly, I dont buy that.

Behind what decision?

Latest posts