• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Need help getting into the ITM Cup

I'd support Wellington. They last won it 10 years ago, but they often come close, and traditionally are a pretty exciting teams with players like Lomu, Umaga, Cullen, Collins, Masoe, Gear, So'oialo, Tialata, Fa'atau all playing for the Wellington Lions. They are normally a good attacking team. As someone who generally hates Centerbury, there is nothing to hate about Dan Carter other than he is god-like. It's annoying, but a fact. He's too damn modest as well.

Id you are a bit like me, and like supporting an exciting under dog team, I'd pick Counties Manukau. They have some big hitters, good rucking team with some real speedsters in Tuala and Stowers. They also currently have former All Blacks captain Tana Umaga in the team (although he may be injured for the rest of the season).

I definitely don't want to root for a team just because they're good. (And I also don't like to root for Dan Carter. I see him as the Sidney Crosby of rugby and I can't stand Crosby (NHL))

It's important to keep in mind that the ITM Cup/ Air New Zealand Cup/ NPC is a tounament played around the Tri Nations period. This means that players like Dan Carter are often too tied up with test rugby and All Black camps to be given leave to play for their respective teams. The only time you usually see the top players playing provincial rugby is when they're comming back from injury or towards the end of the season following the Tri Nations.

In other words, don't be disappointed to not see the best players in the country playing. On the plus side there are still many former All Blacks and reject All Blacks playing and it's the best way to view the up and comming talent. As someone already mentioned, the ITM Cup feeds directly into the Super 15.

It's important to keep in mind that the ITM Cup/ Air New Zealand Cup/ NPC is a tounament played around the Tri Nations period. This means that players like Dan Carter are often too tied up with test rugby and All Black camps to be given leave to play for their respective teams. The only time you usually see the top players playing provincial rugby is when they're comming back from injury or towards the end of the season following the Tri Nations.

In other words, don't be disappointed to not see the best players in the country playing. On the plus side there are still many former All Blacks and reject All Blacks playing and it's the best way to view the up and comming talent. As someone already mentioned, the ITM Cup feeds directly into the Super 15.

Well, considering that (be ready for blasphemy) I'm not really big on rooting for the all-blacks and there are very few of their players that I follow and like, I'm fine with not seeing the top quality players on the field. I just dont want to root for Carter's team, whether or not he's on it (no offense to Carter fans).

Well, considering that (be ready for blasphemy) I'm not really big on rooting for the all-blacks and there are very few of their players that I follow and like, I'm fine with not seeing the top quality players on the field. I just dont want to root for Carter's team, whether or not he's on it (no offense to Carter fans).

Lol, so you don't like the All Blacks and you especially don't like Dan Carter.

You're not a closet Aussie are you?

Well the way I see it
All Blacks ≈ New England Patriots ≈ New York Yankees. They're the team thats supposed to win. Therefore, when they win, its not that elating. Besides, the few rugby fans I know are big All Blacks fans BECAUSE they win, and I can't be a part of that.

My first impression (which they say is very important) of Wellington is that they are a talented team that has been denied total glory a couple times and refuses to break. The game I'm watching (and which you might be watching too. Here its past midnight, so its a bit harder to keep up over here) has shown Wellington getting scored on almost seconds into the game but they've stepped back into it and started to turn it around and enforce their will on the pitch.

Well the way I see it
All Blacks ≈ New England Patriots ≈ New York Yankees. They're the team thats supposed to win. Therefore, when they win, its not that elating. Besides, the few rugby fans I know are big All Blacks fans BECAUSE they win, and I can't be a part of that.

The thing about the All Blacks, is that they don't just win, they win playing very attractive rugby. Wellington are very much a come-back-team, but don't be too suprised if they some how make a mistake costing them the match. They are a heart-break team to follow, much like the Hurricanes.

I'm a San Jose Sharks fan, I'm fine with heartbreak. Sound like my kind of team, although I still need to watch Southland and Otago because I need to follow all recommendations before I decide

Check out the Manawatu Turbos mate, the ultimate underdogs. We have the smallest pool of players of any province, and unlike the vast majority of teams are pretty much fully homegrown. Something like 20 out of the squad went to one school. We also suffer from other teams taking our better players (Baker, Taylor, Whitelock brothers). Despite this we are currently top of the championship with 2/3 wins and have scored some nice tries. Our main man is Aaron Cruden who pretty much runs the show for us. We won't always win but have an awesome history (used to be the champions in the late 70's early 80's) and play some exciting footy.

Support the Bay of Plenty Steamers. We have an awesome uniform and if you ever came to NZ, there's a very good chance Bay of Plenty would be your favourite place (providing you came in summer, not much to do in winter here but play rugby). Plus we are playing some really good rugby this year and I honestly believe we can go all the way. However, our game against Wellington this Sunday will be very revealing of our true ability as I believe this year Wellington is our main competition for the ***le. I advise you to find a way to watch it as it should be a very exciting game. We aren't a big 5 province and thus aren't expected to be major contenders for the ***le so if we do it will be much more enjoyable to witness than a team like Canterbury winning it again. We are currently top of the Premiership table. And last but not least, we have a chance to win the Ranfurly Shield from Southland at the end of the season if they can hold on to it for a few more weeks.
So yeah go the Bay.

P.S.
We also have an epic mascot called Hori BOP, which is a bonus.

Support the Bay of Plenty Steamers. We have an awesome uniform and if you ever came to NZ, there's a very good chance Bay of Plenty would be your favourite place (providing you came in summer, not much to do in winter here but play rugby). Plus we are playing some really good rugby this year and I honestly believe we can go all the way. However, our game against Wellington this Sunday will be very revealing of our true ability as I believe this year Wellington is our main competition for the ***le. I advise you to find a way to watch it as it should be a very exciting game. We aren't a big 5 province and thus aren't expected to be major contenders for the ***le so if we do it will be much more enjoyable to witness than a team like Canterbury winning it again. We are currently top of the Premiership table. And last but not least, we have a chance to win the Ranfurly Shield from Southland at the end of the season if they can hold on to it for a few more weeks.
So yeah go the Bay.

P.S.
We also have an epic mascot called Hori BOP, which is a bonus.

Lol. I think anyone in any part of New Zealand could subscribe to that opinion, (except for Aucklanders of course)

I jest. The Bay is an awesome place.

But you can't beat Tane as a mascot.

My first impression (which they say is very important) of Wellington is that they are a talented team that has been denied total glory a couple times and refuses to break. The game I'm watching (and which you might be watching too. Here its past midnight, so its a bit harder to keep up over here) has shown Wellington getting scored on almost seconds into the game but they've stepped back into it and started to turn it around and enforce their will on the pitch.

Wellington has always been a physical side (very much like the Hurricanes) They rely on speedy, powerful backlines which is pretty much what we saw tonight.

Great game btw. an excellent exapmly of running rugby.

I think I'm going to watch all the teams that I've liked the sound of and see which ones gives me the most sports excitement. You know, "feeling" I'm not sure how to describe it. You just enjoy every moment you watch, you know? I get the same thing when I listen to good music. Got a lot from Wellington.

In the prems it's got to be Taranaki, always underdogs, but fight hard and dfon't give up constantly punching above there weight.
In the championship it's got to be Northland, another underdog team and most likely to be any visitors favourite area of NZ.
Stay away from Canterbury as they suck, Waikato as it's a hole and BOP as you can't back those east coasters.
Wellington are good as they're our Hurricanes buddies and Aucks, Otago and Southland have merits too.

Gotta go Southland. I lived there for a season and my word they build them tough down there. One of my best friends down there just kills and fecks everything that moves down there. Real tough team with a lot of pride!

Latest posts