8. Toutai Kefu
9. Joost vd Westhuizen / Fourie Du Preez
10. Dan Carter
11. Bryan Habana
12. Aaron Mauger
13. Brian O'Driscoll
14. Rupeni Caucaunibuca
15. Christian Cullen / Andre Joubert

I think you are turning this into the best! and of course your favorite could be also the one you consider the best. but sometimes your favorite is not the best is just some one you like for different reasons and i think is more interesting!

He's not my favourite but I think Bastareaud deserves a shout for playing test level at centre while having the physique of a 2nd team prop. Matthew Morgan can't tackle but he's exciting when he has the ball.

Jonah Lomu was possibly the most exciting player in rugby union history, but definitely my favourite of favourites. Such a beast on the field and such a humble, gentle giant off it.

I think you are turning this into the best! and of course your favorite could be also the one you consider the best. but sometimes your favorite is not the best is just some one you like for different reasons and i think is more interesting!
Norm maxwell was one of my favourites, but nowhere near the best, not even when he was playing. I just liked how hard he played.
Jerry Collins too.

The free spirit attitude of norm Berryman, Carlos spencer and rua tipoki, the tackling of Sam the smiling assassin tuitupo, the vision, playmaking and decision making of Mehrtens.

The way larkham glided about. Not the "larkham line ball", known to non Australians as a forward pass. The all round game of Chris Latham. Matt giteau

Owen finegan I hated the most.

Carl Hayman I appreciated because he was so good, same with mcaw.

Umaga was a great rugby mind and a brilliant player who got more turnovers when playing midfield than almost any 7, during the day of the fetcher. That and being the best centre or second five at normal midfielder duties, a great winger before that, and a brilliant captain makes him not only my favourite but in my opinion the best player to have played the game.

Fourier du Preez was all round brilliant. Him, Breyton paulse, and tj perenara have this uncanny ability to get underneath the ball when players are trying to ground it. I really enjoy that.

I loved Rassie erasmus.
Ollie Le roux was a cool dude.

Zinny and fitzy has character.

Keith woods

Mike Catt when he is underneath lomu

Stu forster, Jeff Wilson, Jamie Joseph, John Leslie

Fumiaka tanaka

Shane Williams.

Tim nanai williams.

Semo setiti

James lowe

Aaron cruden
Ardie savea
Anton leinert brown

Paul O'Connell
Martin Johnson

A lot of wallabies I have respected but hated.
Bull Allen
Gareth Thomas.
Cory Jane
Cullen
Felipe contemponi, jmh, creevy, leguizamon
Chris masoe
A lot of springbok loosies

He's not my favourite but I think Bastareaud deserves a shout for playing test level at centre while having the physique of a 2nd team prop. Matthew Morgan can't tackle but he's exciting when he has the ball.
like bastereaud for the same reason!

contempomi is been named here. but I must say I never liked him so much. I always hated his futbolistic clownish celebrations. besides these he was indeed a great player but never my favorite. in fact I liked his brother Manuel over him. laSt year I saw him as a junior rugby coach when mi 8 year old son played vs his club team Newman. he was there like everybody else helping out and handling burgers to the kids after the game I thought it was great from him. respect

contempomi is been named here. but I must say I never liked him so much. I always hated his futbolistic clownish celebrations. besides these he was indeed a great player but never my favorite. in fact I liked his brother Manuel over him. laSt year I saw him as a junior rugby coach when mi 8 year old son played vs his club team Newman. he was there like everybody else helping out and handling burgers to the kids after the game I thought it was great from him. respect

I loved Contemponi for that very reason The arrogance of it :cool::cool:

Carving up the French in home games in Argentina

Fans rushing to the front of the stands

Beautiful!!!! What an entertainer!!!

HI guys I'm OK whit it. I guess I'm just old school. if we all think the same there be no rugby forum.
I m o the show must be given in the game. nevertheless have no reason to dislike him off the pich to the contrary he comes fron a very special family to which im indirectly conected. my father is friends with his father nick named "pomi". many of you my not know a great story about that family. when a great rugby person "veco" villegas (legendary san isidro club and pumas coach and one of the mentors of the famous bajadita) tragically died in a plane accident year (88) along with his wife, they left a bunch kids behind 4. for
some time the brothers where left with his grand mother and eldest sister but after some time and with lots of economic problems the contempomi family adopted all off them.
the most amazing? the contempomis where 8 brothers!! making a family of 14!!
in other words I have a huge respect for him and his family.
I just think his celebration style was somehow disrespectful to the rivals. again I'm old..;)

Last edited:
I never liked some aspects of his attitude either. He liked to rub it in (notable examples was him vs Ogara, and vs the french in 2007 RWC). Not very elegant.
But i have no problem in differentiating that from his skills and quality as a player.

I wasnt particularly fond of the way Carlos Spencer, Quade Cooper or Botha behaved either. But to deny their quality is another matter. George Gregan and Pichot werent the most amicable people either.

Last edited:
never denied his quality I rated him in the top 5 all time arg player (previous post) just not my favorite.

1. Os Du Randt
2. Fitzpatrick
3. Hayman
4. Johnson
5. Eales
6. Kaino
7. McCaw
8. Read
9. Joost V W
10. Carter
11. Lomu
12. Horan
13. BOD
14. Robinson
15. Cullen

16. Wood
17. Leonard
18. Vickery
19. Retallick
20. Dusautoir
21. Edwards
22. Barrett
23. Nonu

Last edited:
My favourite all time player is Jason Robinson, it was about 2003 ish i was just getting into rugby and joining my local club but before that i never new much about it and even then outside of england matches i didnt see much so my past selection and knowledge is limited. But he was one of the first players i was a fan of as i just started as a winger.

My current favourite is Sam Simmonds(my favourite doesnt mean he is the best player in the world because he isnt st all) but he is rapid for an 8 and has a good skillset lesrned in 7s some decent tributes to him on youtube.

This is an oppinion therefore csnt be wrong:p

Finally a favourite player rather than GOAT!

Tried to find a playing compilation of Joe El-Abd, came up with nothing sadly. He was a real menace and tough character on the pitch, top bloke off it. Never forgotten the moment when I went to thank him for many good years after Bristol got relegated and he was heading to France; all he could do was apologise and was visibly upset, and this was later on in the evening. So pleased he's had great success as a manager winning the Top14, well deserved.

#edit
I'll stick this in as he played his part in one of the club's great moments;

Last edited:

Latest posts