• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Music these days...

<div class='quotemain'> Real music is dead since 79. In how many today songs do you listen to parts that make you think: wow this man really knows how to use his instruments ?[/b]

Er? James Dean Bradfield, Johnny Greenwood and Matthew Bellamy to name a few. I could go on to say Paul Weller, Noel Gallagher, Andrew Innes...

When was the last time you listened to a good guitar solo ?[/b]

Manic Street Preachers - "You love us" I listened to today.
Oasis - "Step out"
Muse - "Newborn" or just the proper opening chords for "The Groove."

Like I said, real music isn't dead... [/b][/quote]

Holy f***... someone else who's actually heard the Studio version of the Groove!

Although the solo on the studio version of Fury is IMO better.

Spamming up this thread again, sorry guys.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lp_PIjc2ga4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lp_PIjc2ga4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Is this another argument to say that today's music is bad? :p

Holy f***... someone else who's actually heard the Studio version of the Groove!

[/b]

Did you see the live version of it on the Absolution Tour DVD? Absolutely genius look on all the yanks :mellow:

<div class='quotemain'>
You heard of Goldie Lookin' Chain? Its superb!
[/b]
No, I havent'! I'll look them up. Any favorite songs? [/b][/quote]

"Guns don't kill people, rappers do"

"Half man - Half Machine"

"Your mum has got a penis"

"Charm School"

"Self Suicide"

"Sister"

"HRT"

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Did you see the live version of it on the Absolution Tour DVD? Absolutely genius look on all the yanks :mellow:
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, was probably the only good thing on that DVD (I already had the BBC Broadcast version of Glastonbury which was uncut and didn't have the sound ruined). The American's looked confused - they obviously expected it to be all Feeling Good and Sing for Absolution. Wonder how they would react to some of the stuff off the Hullabaloo soundtract.

Must've been funny for Muse - going from headling Glastonbury and other European Festivals/Arena shows in front of crowds up to 70,000 people to playing in dingy bars in American in front of people who have no idea what's happening.

Thats apparently the reward of "making it" in the United States :lol:

The editing of the BBC Glastonbury feed was crazy. Why did they chop it up and remove the superb keyboard instrumental before Apocalypse please? Apparently they removed Stockholm Syndrome due to personal reasons expressed by the band which is perfectly reasonable considering the tragic circumstances.

music these days are worse than 10 years ago, old school rock had meaning and worth listening to, todays nu metal just screams, its almost like rap!

music these days are worse than 10 years ago, old school rock had meaning and worth listening to, todays nu metal just screams, its almost like rap!
[/b]
I will say again, you are listening to the wrong kind of music then...the music that was big ten years ago has now saturated the market and lost its soul, hence why the music with alot of the soul in it is completely different to what was big in the past...expand your horizons and you will be alright, every day I find music that I would never have heard of if I hadn't gone to the effort..and some of it is pretty damn good....

been reading this thread with great interest! and that's good that someone actually came up with the statement that music nowadays is total CRAP! yes it is!
Now, reading through everyone's responses something became clear. We always talk about the same bands or artists and assume these guys we see on tv or hear on the radio are the only thing music has to offer and therefore we base our judgment upon this.
But there's much more out there, what we see on tv or hear on radio is just the tip of the iceberg (Vambo will understand what i am talking about), Major record labels occupy 95% of the media exposure to expose probably 35% of the music "market" (i hate that word when talking about music)
There are infinite numbers of smaller record labels out there which produce and distribute quality music, quality artists and you get to listen to people who know how to use a bloody instrument, being drums, guitars, vocals and what not... but you don't too hear much of it on radio or tv.
It all comes down to marketing in the end, major record labels talk about products and markets, when what they should really think of is ART, because music is ART!
So this is how you get all the R&B crap (am pretty sure 90% of the kids who listen to R&B these days have NO idea of what Rhythm & Blues really sounded like back in the day...), the emo and all these marketing created "movements" because it helps fragmenting the markets, put group of kids in little boxes and when they're trapped,they just get bombarded with all the bands that have gladly sold their soul to the devil until they're submerged and and just spend their money to "belong"! That's mainstream for you!
Bottom line, if you want to listen to good music (because it is there, right now, it's just hidden by the crap that is thrown at us everyday), whatever style it is, stay away form your TV and radio, search the internet, grab names of bands and labels and get their music, you'll be surprised of the difference of quality.
God it's good to have a good rant!
:D

been reading this thread with great interest! and that's good that someone actually came up with the statement that music nowadays is total CRAP! yes it is!
Now, reading through everyone's responses something became clear. We always talk about the same bands or artists and assume these guys we see on tv or hear on the radio are the only thing music has to offer and therefore we base our judgment upon this.
But there's much more out there, what we see on tv or hear on radio is just the tip of the iceberg (Vambo will understand what i am talking about), Major record labels occupy 95% of the media exposure to expose probably 35% of the music "market" (i hate that word when talking about music)
There are infinite numbers of smaller record labels out there which produce and distribute quality music, quality artists and you get to listen to people who know how to use a bloody instrument, being drums, guitars, vocals and what not... but you don't too hear much of it on radio or tv.
It all comes down to marketing in the end, major record labels talk about products and markets, when what they should really think of is ART, because music is ART!
So this is how you get all the R&B crap (am pretty sure 90% of the kids who listen to R&B these days have NO idea of what Rhythm & Blues really sounded like back in the day...), the emo and all these marketing created "movements" because it helps fragmenting the markets, put group of kids in little boxes and when they're trapped,they just get bombarded with all the bands that have gladly sold their soul to the devil until they're submerged and and just spend their money to "belong"! That's mainstream for you!
Bottom line, if you want to listen to good music (because it is there, right now, it's just hidden by the crap that is thrown at us everyday), whatever style it is, stay away form your TV and radio, search the internet, grab names of bands and labels and get their music, you'll be surprised of the difference of quality.
God it's good to have a good rant!
:D
[/b]

agreed, although populist music has always been crap, it's not just nowadays. Think of those godawful soppy singers from the 60s, ABBA were from the 70s, both eras these people seem to look back on nostalgically.

As well as the manufactured ****, today magazines like the NME have created a way for people to listen to music, thinking that they're being alternative because it's not pop music, when it's equally rubbish. I've heard all these sorts rave about the Kooks and all these new indie bands and act like they're the pinnacle of good music. This sort of person often does like good indie stuff as well and prides themselves on knowing all about Arcade Fire and Battles (both good bands...) However I find as soon as I play them anything hiphoppy or reggae-ey it's "TURN THAT **** OFF". I just wish that people would realise that a good music taste is a wide and diverse one, not just one that religiously follows one type and dismisses others as inferior.

As well as the manufactured ****, today magazines like the NME have created a way for people to listen to music, thinking that they're being alternative because it's not pop music, when it's equally rubbish. I've heard all these sorts rave about the Kooks and all these new indie bands and act like they're the pinnacle of good music. This sort of person often does like good indie stuff as well and prides themselves on knowing all about Arcade Fire and Battles (both good bands...) However I find as soon as I play them anything hiphoppy or reggae-ey it's "TURN THAT **** OFF". I just wish that people would realise that a good music taste is a wide and diverse one, not just one that religiously follows one type and dismisses others as inferior.
[/b]

Yea, i agree i too have a broad musical taste, i love Bob marley, Run DMC, Beastie Boys (well some of their stuff) but Rock is where i think the purest artistic expression occurs. I'm not talking about Greenday's music or other crappy, mindless modern rock songs, but rather the sublime musical ability of Dire Straits, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, the Rolling Stones, Genesis etc etc.

<div class='quotemain'>
I hate rap! I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it!!!!!

What kind of self respecting African American calls themselves one of the most foul and derogatory terms about; "****er", out of hand. What type of psychological disorder would drive someone to name themselves "t-payne" for christ's sake (excuse the blasphemy). In MTV, one finds a channel which manages to condense the most putrid s****y music on earth into a half hour show. If i offend any fans of rap, it can't be helped because frankly i'm offended by what is served up from these buffoons
[/b]

i am offended, not necessarily because you dislike hiphop but because you have generalised the entire genre...

check out the skilful yricism and deep content
[/b][/quote]

Yeah, the intent of the rapper was noble, but (and i'm pretty stubborn about this) the artist should use proper english words in his lyrics. When some one makes up bloody words and can't put together sound sentences it really bugs me, thats not true art!

This is a song, which in my opinion does vietnam veterans better justice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmyEv4n8ERI

As for skillful lyricism, there are countless examples of ingenious lyricists weaving hidden messages into their songs. Bob Dylan, Billy Joel, Bruce Springsteen etc

I beg to differ

Rap varies from mainstream to actual good stuff

guys like Pimp C, Ludacris (at times), Bone Thugs, Tupac, Jay Z, Nas etc laid down a good foundation for rap which has not been built upon, i think that some of their songs are on par with if not put to shame the "artistic expression" that rock music has..

today though its harder to find actual good rap.. Papoose, Bun B etc are all that come to mind

im not putting down rock i enjoy it as much as rap but i think its absurd to say that one puts more artistic expression into one form or music than the other.

and if you dont believe in rappers having great lyricism just listen to a song by Canibus or Rakim

RAP is CRAP!! cant wait for the new slipknot album, its gonna be HECTIC!!
[/b]

you're an idiot. you can say you dislike a genre without completely dismissing it.

some of slipknot's influence, especially their earlier stuff, comes from rap anyway... <_<

Why are we even talking about Rap? Isn't this a thread to discuss music? [/b]

Because rap is the worst part of music. All it is is words being spoken at a very fast speed.

<div class='quotemain'> Why are we even talking about Rap? Isn't this a thread to discuss music? [/b]

Because rap is the worst part of music. All it is is words being spoken at a very fast speed.
[/b][/quote]

almost worth a negative rep for sheer ignorance. is rock music simply people twanging bits of wire? mug.

Latest posts