• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster v Leinster

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Munster.png
Leinster.png

Munster v Leinster</div>

Well it's the biggest game in Irish club rugby with these 2 sides going up against each other at Croke Park on Saturday in what could be a world record crowd for a club game.

Munster go in as overwhelming favourites having come through yet another pool of death despatching both Clermont and Wasps while their quarter final mismatch with the Ospreys went a long way to confirming their favouritism to repeat their win of last year.

Leinster have stuttered their way through to this stage having been impressive in the home win against Wasps and putting up an awesome defensive performance at the Stoop yet having not scored a try in the last 3 Heineken Cup matches it's hard to see them getting close to Munster on Saturday.

The task won't be helped by the loss of Rob Kearney who's out with the mumps, if only UCD's health warning had reached him earlier! However Munster have lost O'Leary but even still Stringer will be streets ahead of Whitaker in the battle of the nines. Unfortunately for Leinster Reddan has arrived a season too late.

Good to see this one getting international interest with France Televisions bizarrely going for the Cardiff Blues Leicester match instead.

Nothing more than a comfortable Munster win would be a huge shock.

Rob Kearney is out with the mumps.

Leinster squad (v Munster)

Forwards : Cian Healy, Stan Wright, Ronan McCormack, CJ van der Linde, Bernard Jackman, John Fogarty, Devin Toner, Leo Cullen, Malcolm O'Kelly, Trevor Hogan, Sean O'Brien, Rocky Elsom, Shane Jennings, Jamie Heaslip

Backs : Chris Whitaker, Simon Keogh, Chris Keane, Felipe Contepomi, Jonathan Sexton, Gordon D'Arcy, Brian O'Driscoll, Luke Fitzgerald, Shane Horgan, Isa Nacewa, Girvan Dempsey

I'd like to see this team:
15. Fitzgerald
14. Horgan
13. O'Driscoll
12. Contepomi
11. Nacewa
10. Sexton
9. Whitaker
1. Healy
2. Jackman
3. Wright
4. Cullen
5. O'Kelly
6. Elsom
7. Jennings
8. Heaslip
Subs: Fogarty, van der Linde, Toner, O'Brien, Simon Keogh, D'arcy, Dempsey

Sexton changed the course of the game against Glasgow and has performed well whenever he's played Munster. Contepomi and Sexton dovetail well while D'arcy isn't in good form. Fitzgerald offers an attacking threat from fullback. Van der Linde should be on the bench. Best case scenario is he's fit and dominates in the scrum, worst case is he goes off and there are uncontested scrums - it's a no brainer. Jennings isn't in good ball carrying form (O'Brien is far better at that) but he's become an excellent groundhog pilfering a lot of opposition ball.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Apr 27 2009, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Rob Kearney is out with the mumps.

Leinster squad (v Munster)

Forwards : Cian Healy, Stan Wright, Ronan McCormack, CJ van der Linde, Bernard Jackman, John Fogarty, Devin Toner, Leo Cullen, Malcolm O'Kelly, Trevor Hogan, Sean O'Brien, Rocky Elsom, Shane Jennings, Jamie Heaslip

Backs : Chris Whitaker, Simon Keogh, Chris Keane, Felipe Contepomi, Jonathan Sexton, Gordon D'Arcy, Brian O'Driscoll, Luke Fitzgerald, Shane Horgan, Isa Nacewa, Girvan Dempsey

I'd like to see this team:
15. Fitzgerald
14. Horgan
13. O'Driscoll
12. Contepomi
11. Nacewa
10. Sexton
9. Whitaker
1. Healy
2. Jackman
3. Wright
4. Cullen
5. O'Kelly
6. Elsom
7. Jennings
8. Heaslip
Subs: Fogarty, van der Linde, Toner, O'Brien, Simon Keogh, D'arcy, Dempsey

Sexton changed the course of the game against Glasgow and has performed well whenever he's played Munster. Contepomi and Sexton dovetail well while D'arcy isn't in good form. Fitzgerald offers an attacking threat from fullback. Van der Linde should be on the bench. Best case scenario is he's fit and dominates in the scrum, worst case is he goes off and there are uncontested scrums - it's a no brainer. Jennings isn't in good ball carrying form (O'Brien is far better at that) but he's become an excellent groundhog pilfering a lot of opposition ball.[/b]

I agree with the forwards but I can't see the backs going that way. Fitzgerald hasn't had significant time at fullbcak in bloody ages and I don't see him being suddenly put backthere (even though I'd love to see it happen).
Chieka doesn't seem to like starting Sexton let alone for a game as big as this. and as for Contepomi, I don't think he's been setting the aorld alight either. I see a fairly similar backline to what we saw on Saturday. But maybe your back three might be right considering Horgan played well when he came on.

Munster team pretty much picks itself. Looking forward to the centre battle! Especially if it's D'Arcy-Bod

^^^

I agree with you. I think Dempsey will start at fullback, Nacewa and Fitz out wide, Darce and BOD at centre with Dr Phil at 10. By no means would I complain if that's what Chieka selected. The line up I posted above is merely my preference.

I think Contepomi is gone to cack of late. If McFadden was more experienced I'd be in favour of Sexton at 10 and McFadden at 12 for kicking purposes. Wouldn't be surprised to see something along those lines next year if D'Arcy doesn't find some form. Cheika's already shown he has no problem with dropping established names for younsgters when he gave Horgan the kick.

would love to see Cheika going with Sexton at 10 and Contepomi at 12 as well but can't for the life of me see it happening.

Looks like O'Kelly may not start given he was subbed so early in the Glasgow game and it was purely tactical according to the reliable Tulsen on Setanta so it'll be interesting to see who starts there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 27 2009, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If McFadden was more experienced I'd be in favour of Sexton at 10 and McFadden at 12 for kicking purposes. Wouldn't be surprised to see something along those lines next year if D'Arcy doesn't find some form.[/b]
You could be right. McFadden has certainly been more impressive than D'arcy of late and could forge a centre partnership with O'Driscoll next year. As I understand it, the Lions are going to miss the first 3 or 4 games of next season. Cheika could well be using these games to see which one of D'arcy and McFadden wins a spot next to O'Driscoll once the former Lions captain returns.

Sexton tends to come on and have an impact when the game has already been won up front. I dont think its as simple as just saying HE changed the game. However Dr Phil hasnt been in great form and the backline does seem to fucntion better with an orthodox outhalf in the 10 slot.

I'd probably like to see Sexton in there, if only because its something a little different. I'd also like to see O'Brien in for Jennings. Dempsey in at fullback, and Horgan on the right wing.

Dont think it'll make the slightest bit of difference as were going to get thumped. We've been searching for some kind of form since the early stages of the HEC and we still havent found it. Maybe Sexton will be a catalyst but I dont really see it happening. Munster to walk away with it in the last 30 minutes.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Apr 28 2009, 10:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sexton tends to come on and have an impact when the game has already been won up front. I dont think its as simple as just saying HE changed the game. However Dr Phil hasnt been in great form and the backline does seem to fucntion better with an orthodox outhalf in the 10 slot.

I'd probably like to see Sexton in there, if only because its something a little different. I'd also like to see O'Brien in for Jennings.[/b]

I tend to agree with you on the Sexton thing, don'tknow if I've said it on here yet but I think Contepomi's form has gone to cack. I'd say you're almost just as well off without him next year. Sexton might be your better option at ten for this.

Though I'm a huge fan of O'Brien, I think this is one of those matches where you're bettter off with Jennings. Something to counteract the ground work of Wallace and Quinlan whn you already have Elsom giving you good options in the open.

Yeah your probably right. I'm just throwing in the changes in the hope of them sparking a bit of form. Dr Phil vs Sexton and Jennings vs O'Brien are 50-50 calls. I wouldnt be too bothered either way.

Even though I dont think we have a snowballs chance in hell, I'm really looking forward to the game. I just think its going to be a great celebration of Irish rugby as a whole, a good end to the year for one set of fans.

My only real worry is that the Leinster "fans" sell out their ticket allocation to the Bandwagoners from the south. I'm not expecting a sea of Blue, but I want to hear some noise from the D4 heads in the crowd.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Munster coach Tony McGahan today named a 25 strong squad for Saturday's Heineken Cup semi final clash with Leinster at Croke Park.
Included in the squad is Mike Prendergast who comes in for Tomas O'Leary who sustained a fractured ankle in the game against Scarlets in Cork last weekend.

The squad trained today in the University of Limerick and will complete their preparations behind closed doors on Thursday before travelling by train to Dublin on Friday where they are expected to arrive around 2.15pm.

Munster Squad. Denis Hurley, Paul Warwick, Doug Howlett, Kieran Lewis, Keith Earls, Lifeimi Mafi, Barry Murphy, Ian Dowling, Mike Prendergast, Peter Stringer, Ronan O'Gara,

Marcus Horan, Tony Buckley, Federico Pucciariello, John Hayes, Denis Fogarty, Jerry Flannery, Paul O'Connell, Mick O'Driscoll, Donncha O'Callaghan, Donnacha Ryan, Alan Quinlan, Niall Ronan, David Wallace, Denis Leamy.
[/b]

Really looking forward to the game. I have a feeling we will see Sexton wear 10, Felipe 12 and D'arcy 14. I think it could work well for Leinster, but I don't think Jonny has the mental toughness for a game like this. 60,000 Munster fans ;) roaring at him and Mafi, Wallace, Quinny and Leamy smashing him at every opportunity (especially Mafi). If he does start, we will se what he is made out of.

Heard a rumour today that Dowling is doubtful after a training ground collision. <_< Least we have Baz to step in to the breach (if there is a breach).

Elsom V Quinny and Earls V BOD would be worth the admission fee alone, hope it will be a good one!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/rug...icle6197871.ece
There’s just one problem. Munster’s fantastic success in the past few years has spawned a mutant breed of rugby fan â€" the Lunsters. They are born, bred, living and working in Leinster but they have turned their back on their own province and decided to support the men in red.[/b]
Interesting article. I don't live in Ireland, so I have a hard time commenting on it. However, I do know that this sort of phenominon, the bandwagon fan, is a world wide plague. It's okay for Leinster boys to support the men in red, but not when they are playing you at home...that's how I see it. I'm an Ulster fan, but own Leinster shirts...but not when they play Ulster. I dunno. Some say to each their own, yet I hardly feel that's how most of us REALLY feel down inside.

Should be a fantastic match! I'm really excited to see it. Too bad this semi-final may eclipse the final.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Apr 30 2009, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There’s just one problem. Munster’s fantastic success in the past few years has spawned a mutant breed of rugby fan â€" the Lunsters. They are born, bred, living and working in Leinster but they have turned their back on their own province and decided to support the men in red.[/b]
Interesting article. I don't live in Ireland, so I have a hard time commenting on it. However, I do know that this sort of phenominon, the bandwagon fan, is a world wide plague. It's okay for Leinster boys to support the men in red, but not when they are playing you at home...that's how I see it. I'm an Ulster fan, but own Leinster shirts...but not when they play Ulster. I dunno. Some say to each their own, yet I hardly feel that's how most of us REALLY feel down inside.

Should be a fantastic match! I'm really excited to see it. Too bad this semi-final may eclipse the final.
[/b][/quote]

putting my objective hat on this may well be a bigger occasion but if the final does turn out to be between Munster and Cardiff Blues then I'd imagine it'll be a better quality game than Saturday's match at Croker. Leinster have regressed from the champagne rugby of 2006 whereas both Munster and Cardiff Blues are able to turn it on quite easily.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Apr 30 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]

Well the arguement could be made that people in rural Leinster would identify more with the Munster team. There's still alot of this "D4 laydboy" stuff going on when, correct me when i'm wrong but a lot of the leinster lads are from Meath, Louth, EVEN CARLOW!

Its funny now how Munster are seen as the working mens team and leinster the upper class team. Most of Munsters team went through the Schools/academy/ etc. to get to where they are just like the leinster boyos.

Now, what point amy i trying to make? hmmm, not sure myself.

END.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Apr 30 2009, 09:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Apr 30 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Well the arguement could be made that people in rural Leinster would identify more with the Munster team. There's still alot of this "D4 laydboy" stuff going on when, correct me when i'm wrong but a lot of the leinster lads are from Meath, Louth, EVEN CARLOW!

Its funny now how Munster are seen as the working mens team and leinster the upper class team. Most of Munsters team went through the Schools/academy/ etc. to get to where they are just like the leinster boyos.

Now, what point amy i trying to make? hmmm, not sure myself.

END.
[/b][/quote]

that this D4 obsession ladyboy reputation that Leinster have is a load of bullshit???

lot of the leinster lads are from Meath, Louth, EVEN CARLOW![/b]
thats bang out of order and you know it. Took alot of to get those boys civilized and here you are bringing up their dark past. Whos from carlow anyways, alot of people think JAckman is but he comes from shillelagh as far as i know?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ May 1 2009, 07:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well the arguement could be made that people in rural Leinster would identify more with the Munster team. There's still alot of this "D4 laydboy" stuff going on when, correct me when i'm wrong but a lot of the leinster lads are from Meath, Louth, EVEN CARLOW![/b]
Ian Dowling made that point about growing up in Kilkenny. Recent interview, can't find it for a link.

He reckons Leinster didn't search wide enough outside of Dublin/Kildare. So that's evidence for the D4 Liffey Valley privilege argument.

I guess the Munster thing has something to do with the Golden Vale hurling affinity. The southern version of privilege. But then you have to add in the two dumps - Limerick city and Cork city - and leave out the ... ahem ... gem that is Waterford city.

Don't ask me to expand. You know what I mean. I don't. Nurse!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (O'Rothlain @ Apr 30 2009, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
[/b][/quote]

Ive no problem with it on a normal match day. It takes the bigger man to celebrate with the peasantry outside the pale on their days of victory. The last two HEC finals have been full of other Irish fans in their "langer for a day" t-shirts, having bought tickets in the hope their own side would make it, they pass their support on to the next Irish side.

However, and Leinster guy that supports Munster when Leinster are still involved cant be a real rugby fan can they? They are just joining the bandwagon, seduced by the success, the alchohol, the pretty colours and the slappers from Cork and limerick. I presume this annoys real Munster fans just as much though so it aint their fault.

Thornley is saying that Nacewa is going to start at full back with Horgan on the wing in the only change from the side which beat Harlequins.

Would have thought he'd switch things around more than that to try and throw Munster off their guard. Not that it'll matter a tap.

so Thornley was spot on, no surprise there to be honest. Nacewa starts at full back with Horgan on the wing in the only change from the team that lined up against Harlequins.

Leinster XV: 15: Isa Nacewa, 14: Shane Horgan, 13: Brian O'Driscoll, 12: Gordon D'Arcy, 11: Luke Fitzgerald, 10: Felipe Contepomi, 9: Chris Whitaker, 1: Cian Healy, 2: Bernard Jackman, 3: Stan Wright, 4: Leo Cullen CAPTAIN, 5: Malcolm O'Kelly, 6: Rocky Elsom, 7: Shane Jennings, 8: Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: 16: John Fogarty, 17: Ronan McCormack, 18: Devin Toner, 19: Sean O'Brien, 20: Simon Keogh, 21: Jonathan Sexton, 22: Girvan Dempsey.

Latest posts