More News on a Professional American League

Jayatron

Academy Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
Ireland
APRC_zps6c8c3818.jpg

Just came into my email account today thanks to the people at Rugby America. Very interesting reading and a topic that I have been meaning to talk about. Link Below:
http://rugbyamerica.net/2012/12/20/north-american-pro-15s-competition-gunning-for-2015-launch/

"Rumors of professional rugby in American have never been in short supply. Certainly in recent years as the rugby community has been continually tantalized by various proposals and nuggets of “inside†information. The desire, within the rugby community, to have a professional competition to call our own grows greater as every year passes. Developments in recent years have begun to turn the tide. The consensus opinion is that professional rugby in American has turned into a “not if but when†scenario.

American rugby fans know that there is nothing like some good old-fashioned professional rugby talk to get everyone stirred up.

Well, I’m about to make it worse.

New information has arisen regarding one of the rumored upstart pro rugby competitions. Last month Jason Moore, from Moore Sports Enterprises, sat down with Peter Fagan for an interview for Fagan’s Rugby N’ Bits radio show which is based in Sydney, Australia. The subject of conversation was the American Professional Rugby Competition. The APRC is the professional rugby project that Moore has been working on for the past 5-6 years.

With sanctioning from USA Rugby and millions of dollars invested in the startup, Moore and the APRC have reached the point where they are facing â€make it or break it timeâ€. Moore has set October of 2013 as the franchise deadline if the competition is going to reach their goal of launching in 2015.

Moore estimates that the APRC is roughly a $120-130 million project, so this is not a shoe-string effort.

The main catalyst for the APRC stemmed from the failed attempt to bring a Bledisloe Cup match to Denver. While 2010 was the target for the game to be played at Mile High Stadium in Denver, work on the project began years prior. The Bledisloe match in Denver was to serve as phase one of the project and meant to showcase elite level rugby to American fans. Phase two was launching a professional competition.

“We decided to push forward with the competition anyways,†added Moore in regards to pushing on with their professional rugby goal despite not being able to bring the All Blacks and Wallabies to America as a primer.

The APRC is planned to be a cross-border competition with teams from the United States and Canada. The target is to have ten teams upon launch in March of 2015. Of those ten teams, two are expected to be from Canada. The current plan is to split the ten teams into two conferences, the East and Central-West. Each team is expected to play a home/away series within their conference and play one game against each team in the other conference. This gives each team 13 regular season games followed by a presumed postseason for the top teams. The season is set to play from the beginning of March-August. That time frame fits perfectly with the proposed season plan with some wiggle room for national team call-ups.

“It avoids the NFL season,†stated Moore citing the American fall sporting juggernaut. “It also gives NFL fans an off-season alternative.â€

Moore’s team has been researching various areas and have come up with approximately 15-20 communities in the USA and Canada that could comfortably host a franchise in the APRC. Factors that were taken into account included existing professional playing facilities, size of the market, rugby culture, and the size of the rugby population among other factors.

As with every professional rugby venture, generating funding and finding suitable owners is the crux of the project. With a $2.5 million up front franchise license fee and an expected $7.5 million cash flow requirement (per franchise) over the first few years, the APRC is not going to be cheap and it will take time to see the fruits of any investment.

“We need ten qualified franchise owners that are financially capable,†says Moore. Without ten franchises in place by October 2013, the competition will not reach the goal of launching in 2015. “There is quite clearly a requirement to get those negotiations done reasonably quickly to give franchises time to recruit players, coaches, staff, etc.,†added Moore.

To that end, Moore and his group have been in ongoing discussions with a variety of ownership groups. Some of which are very serious. Moore has met with various NFL, NHL, and MLS ownership groups regarding the APRC. They have also been in discussion with some overseas owners. Of the interested overseas parties, the APRC has been in negotiations with a group that owns a French team, a group that is heavily invested in Currie Cup and Super Rugby in South Africa, as well as a group that is heavily invested in the English Premiership.

“We have a lot of interested parties, but there is still a lot of work to be done,†Moore finished.

As with every single professional competition in the works, only time will tell. The APRC sounds very promising and their inclusion of Canadian franchises is a wise move. There are still many logistical and financial obstacles for Moore and the APRC to navigate.

With almost six years of planning in the books, October and the deadline will come up real fast.

Keep your fingers crossed.

A major thank you goes to Peter Fagan for sharing quotes from his interview with Jason Moore. To hear the Rugby N’ Bits interview with Jason Moore, please follow the link."

I recently babysat for my partners aunt and uncle where they have Sky Sports. I began the night watching ESPN and to my shock watched pro bull riding, monster truck racing and on further investigation, later that night, found that the United States have so many professional sports, including lacrosse, I was bemused that this sleeping giant did not have a professional league.
So this news is very welcoming, though very overdue - but what reassures me, over other rumours, is that it appears that these boys have done their research and appear to have a genuine infrastructure in place.

So what's the chances of this happening? I agree completely with the article that 'it is not if but when'. And more importantly when will it pay of for the Eagles?

Last edited:
Yeah - would love to see it happen. Would be interesting to see what it would do for USA and Canada in terms of national competitiveness. Would also be interesting to see wat kind of salaries would be on offer to the players - whether it would be a strong competitor for overseas talent to join. Very exciting.

Yeah - would love to see it happen. Would be interesting to see what it would do for USA and Canada in terms of national competitiveness. Would also be interesting to see wat kind of salaries would be on offer to the players - whether it would be a strong competitor for overseas talent to join. Very exciting.

I doubt it. One good thing about Americans is that they are very all american and being all about being the best Americans! I imagine that the American domestic league will be like the top 14 (with its inward focus) but without the talent poaching.

I think rugby will take off in America. And its an excellent sport for America - they don't really have a team sport that they can take onto the world stage and rugby fits in that slot perfectly!

This is Bloody brilliant!! I gotta get me ass back in the Gymnasium

I doubt it. One good thing about Americans is that they are very all american and being all about being the best Americans! I imagine that the American domestic league will be like the top 14 (with its inward focus) but without the talent poaching.

I think rugby will take off in America. And its an excellent sport for America - they don't really have a team sport that they can take onto the world stage and rugby fits in that slot perfectly!

No North American professional leagues aside from the MLS(and in Canada our Gridiron league has to be near 50% Canadians) have foreign player restrictions, the NBA, MLB and NHL have tons of overseas players. I don't think the barrier to signing overseas players would be in the regulations but more in the salaries offered.

My guess on the salaries would be somewhere in between what the indoor lacrosse league and MLS offers here. Which would probably earn the top players livings but the other players would probably need off season or other jobs during the season(part time positions) to make a living. It would depend on the length of season and any potential TV deals though. I think we would see a pile of players especially from the RFU championship return to North America, though higher level guys probably would stay where they are.

I would also love to see oppourtunites for players in other countries from the America's to get roster spots. Even if it's just one player per team from places like Uruguay, Chile etc. I think it would be great for the game in the America's as a whole.

Last edited:
No North American professional leagues aside from the MLS(and in Canada our Gridiron league has to be near 50% Canadians) have foreign player restrictions, the NBA, MLB and NHL have tons of overseas players. I don't think the barrier to signing overseas players would be in the regulations but more in the salaries offered.

My guess on the salaries would be somewhere in between what the indoor lacrosse league and MLS offers here. Which would probably earn the top players livings but the other players would probably need off season or other jobs during the season(part time positions) to make a living. It would depend on the length of season and any potential TV deals though. I think we would see a pile of players especially from the RFU championship return to North America, though higher level guys probably would stay where they are.

I would also love to see oppourtunites for players in other countries from the America's to get roster spots. Even if it's just one player per team from places like Uruguay, Chile etc. I think it would be great for the game in the America's as a whole.

I wouldn't pretend to know everything about North American rugby, sport or professional organisations but from what the article suggests this is going to be something pretty special, if it gets of the ground. Like I said I am a little ignorant of this subject, and perhaps Little Guy you can say if this assumption is, but statements on the investment really show that this competition could rival a lot of current major rugby tournaments.

Look at the overall budget for example, "Moore estimates that the APRC is roughly a $120-130 million project" and that the asking starting price for a franchise is, "$2.5 million up front franchise license fee". To me this suggest full time pro players, with probably the elite players like Samu Manoa staying overseas, and a few quality oversea players thrown in. I don't think that the domestic players will be pulling in the money but it will be more than enough to train full time and up the overall standards of the national game. Not to mention the, "expected $7.5 million cash flow requirement (per franchise) over the first few years". This could rival the Scottish teams is the Celtic League.

I really like to stress that the playing window of the game seems perfect as well. Glad to see some wise
decisions to avoid NFL season and have some summer fast flowing rugby, hopefully!

Last edited:
The Spring is definately the best time of year to have this I'd say March-very early June(to avoid conflict with the Mid year tests), the summer in North America is extremely hot in most places and would probably result in some fairly dour rugby especially late in matches when players get fatigued. The CRC has this problem in the August games where matches are often played in 40C conditions.

Likewise avoiding the NFL season is a must and in large swaths of North America playing in December-February is difficult if not impossible even the summer would be better than this window.

I'm hesitant to think the franchises will be that well funded right out of the gate barring a good TV deal or some big sugar daddies lining up to get involved, if this can get MLS type funding it would be awesome for the game. ThisisAmerRugby did a great analysis of what a pro league would have to look like in North America and this set up seems to fit the bill but attendances will at least have to get into a 5,000 per game average if not higher to sustain the kind of budgets being disscussed. As a comparison The NLL(indoor lacrosse league) is of a similar size to this and has some OK TV deals and draws in about 7,000 fans a game and only a few players make enough money to not have other jobs.

With it being a professional league I am sure they can play the games on a Friday or Saturday evening. Hot weather can ruin a match just as quick as ******* rain. Not sure how this will fit with Canada though. Is it BC who refuse to play during the Summer? I know there is one team, so hopefully the APRC, if it gets of the ground, will finally unite Canadian rugby behind the union.

Like I said you know best and I watched some highlights of the indoor league, which again just bemused me to why there isn't already pro rugby in North America, but we'll have to see who gets behind these teams. If there is multi millionaires who are willing to back a team/s/league then I can foresee 30 full time players per team earning enough to train full time but if not... we'll just have to wait.

Do you think 2 Canadian teams, compared to the U.S. 8 is enough to see improvements on the international scene? And have you the link for thisisamerugby analysis?

Any bets on Cipriani and SBW plying trade there before long?

I'd wager the best way to get America big into their rugby is to play upon the fact it's a global sport that mixes the physical confrontation of football and the speed and free flowing nature of most field games. Get a degree of patriotism flowing , get all the "murica **** yeah" guys behind rugby and you're well on the way to them becoming a global power in the rugby scene.

Any bets on Cipriani and SBW plying trade there before long?

I doubt the money would be good enough for a while.

It's going to be interesting were they put the teams. Obviously it's going to be where money is, but will that match where the rugby communities are? Obviously, New York, LA/San Diego, Boston and San Francisco are musts. Probably Denver and Chicago too.

I have big expectations about this! Perhaps a mexican selection could represent our national league, i mean if mexico is part of the focus countries for the IRB this could be a big jump!!!

I doubt the money would be good enough for a while.

It's going to be interesting were they put the teams. Obviously it's going to be where money is, but will that match where the rugby communities are? Obviously, New York, LA/San Diego, Boston and San Francisco are musts. Probably Denver and Chicago too.

Texas seems like a real possibility as well. Either Dallas or Houston probably.

This is seriously cool.

To any Americans, what kind of power/influence does this guy Moore have? If this is going to work out it is going to have to have some serious backing to get sponsorship/major TV coverage etc.

Whilst i seriously doubt that the money offered to begin with will be great enough to tempt players from tier 1 nations to play there en mass....I can see it being big enough for players from countries such as Uruguay and Chile, which would certainly benefit those developing nations. :)

I wouldn't pretend to know everything about North American rugby, sport or professional organisations but from what the article suggests this is going to be something pretty special, if it gets of the ground. Like I said I am a little ignorant of this subject, and perhaps Little Guy you can say if this assumption is, but statements on the investment really show that this competition could rival a lot of current major rugby tournaments.

Look at the overall budget for example, "Moore estimates that the APRC is roughly a $120-130 million project" and that the asking starting price for a franchise is, "$2.5 million up front franchise license fee". To me this suggest full time pro players, with probably the elite players like Samu Manoa staying overseas, and a few quality oversea players thrown in. I don't think that the domestic players will be pulling in the money but it will be more than enough to train full time and up the overall standards of the national game. Not to mention the, "expected $7.5 million cash flow requirement (per franchise) over the first few years". This could rival the Scottish teams is the Celtic League.

I really like to stress that the playing window of the game seems perfect as well. Glad to see some wise
decisions to avoid NFL season and have some summer fast flowing rugby, hopefully!

Think you're being optimistic there. Assuming a few years means three years, that's 2.5m dollars a year - which is about £1.5m. Assuming that all of that money goes on players and coaching staff - that all equipment, stadium, maintainance, back room staff etc.etc can be funded out of takings, which strikes me as mildly optimistic to begin with - that's a fair bit under even the Scottish teams.

If that's 7.5m a year then things get more serious, a hell of a lot more serious - but judging from the wording, that's not the case, and I can't see selling that level of investment as a sensible business decision.

Even 2.5m a year would be a big step forwards though.

Latest posts