• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

London Sevens: 2013

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
The final leg of the IRB 2012-13 Sevens World Series goes this weekend. It will be a two tiered affair with a twelve team main tournament and an eight team status spot qualifier(featuring the three lowest ranked core teams and five qualifiers).

There isn't a whole lot to play for in the main tournament with NZ cruising to the ***le, but there could still be some movment further down in the table.In the qualifier both finalists and the third place team will all secure their spots for next years series along with a few points for this years campaign. Here are the pools.

Main Tournament:

Pool A: South Africa, Australia, France, USA

Pool B: New Zealand, Kenya, Wales, Canada

Pool C: Samoa, Fiji, England, Argentina

Qualifier Tournament:

Pool A: Scotland, Hong Kong, Zimbabwe, Georgia

Pool B: Portugal, Spain, Tonga, Russia

The USA is getting better and better. I think by Rio 2016 they will be a gold medal contestant. They defeated France and South Africa today and only lost to Australia because of a stupid mistake after the final second (whilst ahead, a USA player knocked the ball on over the dead ball line in his own try area in order to - what he thought - finish the match. the player got a yellow card and Australia scored a try from the penalty they got. If the carded player had just touched the ball down the USA would have won).

The USA is getting better and better. I think by Rio 2016 they will be a gold medal contestant. They defeated France and South Africa today and only lost to Australia because of a stupid mistake after the final second (whilst ahead, a USA player knocked the ball on over the dead ball line in his own try area in order to - what he thought - finish the match. the player got a yellow card and Australia scored a try from the penalty they got. If the carded player had just touched the ball down the USA would have won).

I'm really encouraged by what I've seen. Magleby has been the USA coach for a year now and it looks like his coaching style is starting to get through to the team. I'm really encouraged by the improvements I've seen various players make and it looks like Brett Thompson is the latest player to emerge. Excited to see what the side can do at the 7s RWC and next year on the circuit.

Good game between England and South Africa in the quarters - England miss a penalty shot on fulltime, but then manage the win in extra time.

Australia vs USA was good too - very evenly matched, with Aus sneaking the win right at the death.

Spain and Scotland will stay in the core group after winning the qualifier tournament. Russia and Portugal will face each other in a play-off after losing their semi-final matches. The winner will be in the core group for the coming season.

Pretty dour weekend for Canada, that was kind of the case for us this year, either we were competing in the cup rounds or were just dreadful, hopefully the side can build up some consistency ahead of next year, overall I have to say I'm farily pleased with our first season back as a core team, lots to build on moving forward.

I'm glad that Spain and Portugal stayed up. They have put in plenty of promising results this season. I wouldn't be too distraught if Scotland were relegated though.

I'm glad that Spain and Portugal stayed up. They have put in plenty of promising results this season. I wouldn't be too distraught if Scotland were relegated though.

I felt the exact same, I wonder how long the Glasgow 7's sticks around for as well, the attendance was fairly poor and there are some more exotic locales the series can go to instead.

The final leg of the IRB 2012-13 Sevens World Series goes this weekend. It will be a two tiered affair with a twelve team main tournament and an eight team status spot qualifier(featuring the three lowest ranked core teams and five qualifiers).

There isn't a whole lot to play for in the main tournament with NZ cruising to the ***le, but there could still be some movment further down in the table.In the qualifier both finalists and the third place team will all secure their spots for next years series along with a few points for this years campaign. Here are the pools.

Main Tournament:

Pool A: South Africa, Australia, France, USA

Pool B: New Zealand, Kenya, Wales, Canada

Pool C: Samoa, Fiji, England, Argentina

Qualifier Tournament:

Pool A: Scotland, Hong Kong, Zimbabwe, Georgia

Pool B: Portugal, Spain, Tonga, Russia

Could you tell me the venue of Qualifier Tournament?

I cannot understand why London Tournament does not have 16 teams. Qualifier Tournament should have been hold after finishing all Tournaments.

I felt the exact same, I wonder how long the Glasgow 7's sticks around for as well, the attendance was fairly poor and there are some more exotic locales the series can go to instead.

Maybe Scotland and Japan should be hold biannually, and new places should be added.

I am strongly against the current rule on the extra-time. Under the current rule, the side who score points win immediately. However, this is not fair and equal, because the extra-time starts from kick-off. Extra-time should be 2mins half.

The number of subs in 7s is only 3 in a game. But I think 3 is too small. In 15s, 8 subs are allowed. 7 × 8/15 ≒ 3.7
So 4 subs should be allowed. And teams should be allowed to name 11-player squad in every game, not 12-player team for all games.

Last edited by a moderator:

I was thinking exactly the same yesterday. I'd like to see the Scotland Sevens replaced by a European Sevens which can be hosted in a different country each year. Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Wales and Germany spring to mind.

Great Britain already has a Sevens tournament in the London Sevens. No need for them to have two.

Maybe Scotland and Japan should be hold biannually, and new places should be added.

The Argentinian Sevens will be added to the calendar in 2014. However I'd like to see a Sevens Tournament in Spain or Portugal as well. Possibly instead of the Scotland Sevens.

Yeah -the Scotstoun isn't much of a location. Better to get 5,000 in Portugal than 5,000 in Glasgow. I don't know the attendance for every event but even the Gold Coast 7's were poorly attended.

watched the extended highlights last night

pretty awesome tournament USA and Kenya are very strong this year has been really interesting. So up and down and NZ won it from simply being good each tournament were other teams would win one and do badly the next.

Tim Mikkelson was superb, unique combination with his speed and height. I still think he should be playing super rugby. It's very much a case with sevens now that players that could be playing super rugby are in the 7's now with it's increasing importance mikkelson is definitely one and Baker could be considered another.. That young guy Aki looks a winner too.

Yeah -the Scotstoun isn't much of a location. Better to get 5,000 in Portugal than 5,000 in Glasgow. I don't know the attendance for every event but even the Gold Coast 7's were poorly attended.

I'd think they could get a really good tournament somewhere on the Mediterranean, like Barcelona, Montpellier or Marseilles.