• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions tour: Australia squad

Barnes wont make the squad. I have been liking drew Mitchell lately has not been at his best for a long time but there are sings of him returning that way. with KB I feel he needs to have some good super rugby games first considering he is suspended atm.

srsly fkkkkkk the fact that Pocock of course had to get injured just recently, and of course a long term thing...fk it, fk it...
But I'll be on the Aussies' side, God speed, you boys still got some of that SH attack in ya ! Hopefully it can be an entertaining summer tour, not some shytty grindout game replicated 3 times...

and plus, it'll finally give the Welsh fellas on the team a chance to win at least one in Australia this time....:p

(kiddiiiiing !!!! KIDDING !!! don't eat me alive !! :D)
Pocock being injured is not that big of a deal with Liam Gill and Michael Hooper playing so well. Plus with George Smith playing in good form doesn't hurt either. I'd say the Wallabies have the best set of fetchers in world rugby right now.

Also, if they're picknig on form, they'll find room for Leliafano, Bernard Foley and Folau.

Barnes wont make the squad. I have been liking drew Mitchell lately has not been at his best for a long time but there are sings of him returning that way. with KB I feel he needs to have some good super rugby games first considering he is suspended atm.

The only reason behind his inclusion can be his goal kicking, given the good boot of JOC, and Beale if fit and fully in form, he's still the most consistent goal kicker in Aus.

Maybe it's matter of him or Harris, but I still slightly prefer Barnes

What do Aus fans think of Foley the NSW 10? He has impressed me at times when they play well and is better than some others. Obviously he's not of the highest standard but I'd have him ahead of some in that squad

Australia need backs who are good under the highball, so Joe Tomane is a must on the wing I suppose, because Digby can't catch a cold.

The only reason behind his inclusion can be his goal kicking, given the good boot of JOC, and Beale if fit and fully in form, he's still the most consistent goal kicker in Aus.

Maybe it's matter of him or Harris, but I still slightly prefer Barnes

True Barnes is a good goal kicker but he is injured and it would be strange to see Harris make the wallabies when he is not making the reds.

also Yea im a fan of Foley exciting to watch Probably my favorite tah And if we needed someone under the high ball dont you think we would chuck in Folau would not surprise me if he made the team based on deans and his for the tahs.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/w...f-wallabeis-camp/story-e6frf55l-1226617671186

looks like Quade is going to have to up his game play if he wants to get back into the good books with deans especially with Foley and Leliafano playing so well at 10

Harris' played really under-par in this season, but I think Barnes would come back in time for playing his chance to be selected for the Lions series.

I think one between Lealiifano and Foley would be selected if only Beale AND Barnes won't be available. Otherwise IMO it's very difficult to include a brand new fly-half in the mix with so little time to prepare the tests!
And if you can argue that Cooper can't handle the pressure at test level, you really don't know at all what to expect from Lealiifano or Foley!

The only 2 brand new faces that can make the final cut at the moment are Quirk and Ryan

Personally if I were Deans;

1 Robinson
2 Moore
3 Slipper
4 McMenniman
5 Kimlin
6 Smith
7 Gill
8 Auelua
9 Genia
10 Beale
11 Ioane
12 Fainga
13 AAC
14 Tomane
15 JOC

16 Alexander
17 TPN
18 Pyle
19 Higginbotham
20 White
21 Cooper
22 Lealiifano

What do Aus fans think of Foley the NSW 10? He has impressed me at times when they play well and is better than some others. Obviously he's not of the highest standard but I'd have him ahead of some in that squad
Foley is a good young player (a excellent 7's player too), but I would be surprised if he was in the Wallabies squad this season. He is very dangerous with ball in hand from 10, he hits the line and pace and has a superb side-step. He has an excellent inside passing game too, and his defense is pretty good. The problem is he doesn't have the ability to control the game to any degree. His kicking game is neither long nor accurate, and he does have a high error rate. In an expansive game his running skills would come in handy, but I certainly wouldn't want him in a tight test-match.

Deans squad for logistical exercise: Jesse Mogg (Brumbies), Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs), Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds), Joe Tomane (Brumbies), Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs), Ben Tapuai (Queensland Reds), Pat McCabe (Brumbies), Christian Leali'ifano (Brumbies), Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs), James O'Connor (Melbourne Rebels), Nic White (Brumbies), Will Genia (Queensland Reds), Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs), Fotu Auelua (Brumbies), Michael Hooper (NSW Waratahs), Liam Gill (Queensland Reds), Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs), Scott Higginbotham (Melbourne Rebels), Ben Mowen (Brumbies), Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds), James Horwill (Queensland Reds), Kane Douglas (NSW Waratahs), Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs), Dan Palmer (Brumbies), James Slipper (Queensland Reds), Ben Alexander (Brumbies), Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs), Scott Sio (Brumbies), Stephen Moore (Brumbies), Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs).

http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1516/ArticleID/8819/Default.aspx

For a team that aren't tearing trees up there's alot of WARATAHS but I like Folau as a player

Deans squad for logistical exercise: Jesse Mogg (Brumbies), Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs), Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds), Joe Tomane (Brumbies), Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs), Ben Tapuai (Queensland Reds), Pat McCabe (Brumbies), Christian Leali'ifano (Brumbies), Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs), James O'Connor (Melbourne Rebels), Nic White (Brumbies), Will Genia (Queensland Reds), Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs), Fotu Auelua (Brumbies), Michael Hooper (NSW Waratahs), Liam Gill (Queensland Reds), Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs), Scott Higginbotham (Melbourne Rebels), Ben Mowen (Brumbies), Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds), James Horwill (Queensland Reds), Kane Douglas (NSW Waratahs), Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs), Dan Palmer (Brumbies), James Slipper (Queensland Reds), Ben Alexander (Brumbies), Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs), Scott Sio (Brumbies), Stephen Moore (Brumbies), Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs).

http://www.rugby.com.au/wallabies/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1516/ArticleID/8819/Default.aspx

FINALLY. No bloody news sites had posted it, just that Cooper had been left out.

The players who will assemble on Sunday afternoon in Sydney are: Jesse Mogg (Brumbies), Israel Folau (NSW Waratahs), Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds), Joe Tomane (Brumbies), Adam Ashley-Cooper (NSW Waratahs), Ben Tapuai (Queensland Reds), Pat McCabe (Brumbies), Christian Leali’ifano (Brumbies), Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs), James O’Connor (Melbourne Rebels), Nic White (Brumbies), Will Genia (Queensland Reds), Wycliff Palu (NSW Waratahs), Fotu Auelua (Brumbies), Michael Hooper (NSW Waratahs), Liam Gill (Queensland Reds), Dave Dennis (NSW Waratahs), Scott Higginbotham (Melbourne Rebels), Ben Mowen (Brumbies), Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds), James Horwill (Queensland Reds), Kane Douglas (NSW Waratahs), Sitaleki Timani (NSW Waratahs), Dan Palmer (Brumbies), James Slipper (Queensland Reds), Ben Alexander (Brumbies), Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs), Scott Sio (Brumbies), Stephen Moore (Brumbies), Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs).

1 - Benn Robinson
2 - Stephen Moore
3 - James Slipper
4 - Hugh Pyle
5 - James Horwill (c)
6 - Scott Higginbotham
7 - George Smith
8 - Ben Mowen
9 - Will Genia
10 - Quade Cooper
11 - Digby Ioane
12 - James O'Connor
13 - Ashley-Cooper
14 - Henry Speight
15 - Israel Folau

16 James Hanson
17 Ben Alexander
18 Greg Holmes
19 Hugh McMeniman
20 Liam Gill
21 Nic White
22 Christian Lealiifano
23 Jesse Mogg

No George Smith in the 30 man get to together? If the Wallabies want any sort of chance to win then they need to start by selecting Smith. I honestly believe that part of the Brumbies revival is to do with him.

10/12 will be interesting picks.
Will we see Cooper return? Kurtley Beale hasn't been tearing it up, but seems to be a popular pick at standoff.
I don't see O'Connor as a standoff, unlike seemingly many. The closest inside is second five, I can't see him as a first receiver. James could even do a good job at outside centre, eh has good pace and can easily switch to second receiver if needed.

Jared's backline is something like I would pick, save for Speight (didn't see him in the squad) and possibly Mogg for Folau.

Latest posts