• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Kurtley Beale in Trouble

Kurtley Beale has been stood down and is almost certain to leave Aussie rugby union at the end of the year. Congratulations to the ARU for another blunder. We simply cannot afford to be losing the talent we have and more importantly, the players who attract crowds and put bums on seats.

There is a key point that the media seems to be missing from all of this. It doesn't really matter if Beale is at fault or a scapegoat, it doesn't matter if Patterson is a victim or an incompetent meddler who interfered one time too many. The story here is this is another example of very poor player management and leadership on behalf of the ARU and Ewan McKenzie. How is it that Kurtley Beale had perhaps his best season in years and is performing as a model teammate at the Waratahs but completely falls apart when in the Wallabies environment? This is not an isolated incident either and is very reminiscent of the JOC and QC meltdowns of the past. You can hardly blame Ewan for those incidents but one must ask questions of the ARU.

People or very quick to point fingers at players for bad behavior but when bad behavior is a common theme it becomes pretty evident that the problem isn't the players, it is the system!

Guess what? Rugby Union players are not all intelligent or mature people. Some of them are prone to making bad choices. This is where player management, team culture and leadership come in and in these areas Australian rugby is failing.

The whole Beale / Patterson scenario is a lot of things but it could have been easily avoided if these players were operating in the right environment with the correct support structure and under the right system. The All Blacks and Springboks understand this. Why don't the Wallabies?

If a team performs poorly for a game, you ask questions of the players. If a team plays poorly over a season, you ask questions of the coaching staff. What happens when a team plays poorly over a decade and multiple coaches? Isn't it then time you ask questions of the governing administration? I for one, have some questions for the ARU.

Hmm, if this was the case, then surely there would have been more than one incident, with more than one player. Why didn't more players misbehave???? They are a squad of 30/31 guys, along with management on a tour. If it was mismanagement of players, then surely, there would have been more situations. Beale is not the scapegoat here, and to push the blame away from him is a bit laughable. He has had a history of bad attitude, drunken disorderly conduct, and not being a team player. He's a real DIVA!!!

If a team performs poorly for a game, you ask questions of the players. If a team plays poorly over a season, you ask questions of the coaching staff. What happens when a team plays poorly over a decade and multiple coaches? Isn't it then time you ask questions of the governing administration? I for one, have some questions for the ARU.

I think there is something in this, a large part of what the AB's do so well is have the right culture and environment for the team, they have this senior leadership group within the team, having McCaw for a captain helps as he sets a high standard.

So if the culture is wrong over so many coaches and players for so long then the problem stems from something deeper.

We all said how good and brave McKenzie was by picking on form and rewarding the guys who fronted up in the super 15, but a lot of the AB's success was built on retaining players and showing faith in them to get back into form, this builds culture and trust.

Looks like they have lots of issues, be interesting to see if the long term strategy for Aus rugby has a rethink after this Beale thing, as they have had a bad run over the last few years.

Reality is McKenzie is there to the world cup, they would be foolish to get rid of him before, Jake White to be the next Aus coach maybe?

Over the past few years Australia have seemed to make scapegoats of people when the team ain't performing.

Australia lose to Samoa and Scotland go Giteau is given the boot. They could surely do with him now.

Quade Cooper dropped with the team doesn't perform.

JOC chucked after an incident however probably more likely the Lions loss.

Robbie Deans half way through the Lions series.

Now Beale.

Does the setup not support their players enough? Expecting too much of them? Australia can't continue to lose their best players

If it's really as bad as it seems - I think it would be more foolish to keep him in place.

It's hard to gauge the veracity of the accusations against him, but they are not the sort of thing that a team can just sweep under the carpet, I would have thought.
Regardless of them being professionals.

You lads need to get yourself a Lancaster.
Anyone with a name like Dave Geelong currently coaching? He might do the trick.

Gotta agree though... something seems pretty rotten in the Australian rugby setup.

Reality is McKenzie is there to the world cup, they would be foolish to get rid of him before, Jake White to be the next Aus coach maybe?

White isn't going to happen... Left Canberra in a huff after being overlooked for the Wallabies last time and has now been forced out of the sharks back home. All that, combined with his fairly well known and unpopular tactical preferences will make an appointment for him about as likey as Deans getting the gig back.

Hmm, if this was the case, then surely there would have been more than one incident, with more than one player. Why didn't more players misbehave???? They are a squad of 30/31 guys, along with management on a tour. If it was mismanagement of players, then surely, there would have been more situations. Beale is not the scapegoat here, and to push the blame away from him is a bit laughable. He has had a history of bad attitude, drunken disorderly conduct, and not being a team player. He's a real DIVA!!!

And that makes him a great scapegoat because no one will question what happened. "Oh, it's just Beale, he's a drunk anyway."
And he may be 100% at fault here. But it seems his conduct has opened a can of very unpleasant worms, which makes me wonder how 'healthy' the ARU management really is. I do think it's a good point that Guilty brings up:

How is it that Kurtley Beale had perhaps his best season in years and is performing as a model teammate at the Waratahs but completely falls apart when in the Wallabies environment?

And isn't it always in the Wallabies environment that this sort of thing happens? Wasn't it James O'Connor last year? Now, it could be argued that these players have their little 'diva' meltdowns because they can't handle the pressure of international rugby and/or the clash of team egos. And that may well be true. But why does this only seem to be happening in the Australian squad? There must be some degree of disrespect for the game/team/privilege smoldering underneath, and management, instead of putting out the fire before it flares up, seems only able to fan the flames.

I'm sure it's not easy for the management of ANY international team to keep all those players with their huge egos, varying personalities, and risky habits in check. But when you see one team constantly dealing with this sort of internal turmoil you have to suspect that the problem goes well beyond the antics of one player.

das

And that makes him a great scapegoat because no one will question what happened. "Oh, it's just Beale, he's a drunk anyway."
And he may be 100% at fault here. But it seems his conduct has opened a can of very unpleasant worms, which makes me wonder how 'healthy' the ARU management really is. I do think it's a good point that Guilty brings up:

And isn't it always in the Wallabies environment that this sort of thing happens? Wasn't it James O'Connor last year? Now, it could be argued that these players have their little 'diva' meltdowns because they can't handle the pressure of international rugby and/or the clash of team egos. And that may well be true. But why does this only seem to be happening in the Australian squad? There must be some degree of disrespect for the game/team/privilege smoldering underneath, and management, instead of putting out the fire before it flares up, seems only able to fan the flames.

I'm sure it's not easy for the management of ANY international team to keep all those players with their huge egos, varying personalities, and risky habits in check. But when you see one team constantly dealing with this sort of internal turmoil you have to suspect that the problem goes well beyond the antics of one player.

das

That might be true. But remember that these sort of things usually happens when the team are losing. The Waratahs won the Super Rugby tournament this year, so their players was at an all time high. Now they get called up to the Aussie squad for the RC, after kicking France's ass too, and they are pretty confident at their chances of being competitive and actually winning the RC. And then they draw their first test, then lose the second test, and then wins by one point thanx to a mistake by the opposing fly half and referee. And then go on tour, and then realise oh wait, we are not as good as we thought we were, in fact, we have lost every single game on away from home.

Some guys reverts to alcohol and anger, others use other means to cope. Some take the pain and use it to become a better player or person...

I just personally think that it was Beale in his personal capacity, instead of the management, this time around... I could be wrong, but that is my honest opinion.

And all the other guys who imploded in the Wallabies set-up?

England currently possess a lot of players who've previously proven problematic in the tour environment. There hasn't been a blink since Lancaster took over. Management clear does make a difference.

As Deans said in his bio though, there does seem to be something in the aussie culture that leads them to revolt and reject authority so much. I can see that.

That might be true. But remember that these sort of things usually happens when the team are losing. The Waratahs won the Super Rugby tournament this year, so their players was at an all time high. Now they get called up to the Aussie squad for the RC, after kicking France's ass too, and they are pretty confident at their chances of being competitive and actually winning the RC. And then they draw their first test, then lose the second test, and then wins by one point thanx to a mistake by the opposing fly half and referee. And then go on tour, and then realise oh wait, we are not as good as we thought we were, in fact, we have lost every single game on away from home.

Some guys reverts to alcohol and anger, others use other means to cope. Some take the pain and use it to become a better player or person...

I just personally think that it was Beale in his personal capacity, instead of the management, this time around... I could be wrong, but that is my honest opinion.

And you could be very right. I suppose we'll never really know unless more is revealed.

I was really happy with Beale's performance this season. He's never been my favorite player (probably because of his reputation), but this year I found myself really enjoying his enjoyment of the game. I suppose I just don't want to be disappointed if it does turn out that he's being a total jerk with no one else to blame but himself. It would just put such a black mark on the fine season he had.

England currently possess a lot of players who've previously proven problematic in the tour environment. There hasn't been a blink since Lancaster took over. Management clear does make a difference.

Something in the water, perhaps? Or maybe this?:

As Deans said in his bio though, there does seem to be something in the aussie culture that leads them to revolt and reject authority so much. I can see that.

Is it a rejection of authority, or an authority that doesn't know how to effectively lead? Could it be that the management is too harsh, or maybe worse - too soft. It could be like those who try to be their kid's 'friend' instead of their parent, so that when their mom or dad - their 'buddy' - finally puts their foot down the kid throws a hissy fit. I really would love some good (as in, accurate) insight into the inner workings of the ARU to see exactly what's making them tick. Not that I can fix anything for them...but just because I'm nosy. :D

das

I think this illustrates my point. Every team has their players that are prone to dumb decision making or otherwise make poor choices. We all have that friend who is similar. It's up to the leadership team to ensure these players are kept on the right path which can be achieved through a number of means. I think instilling the right team culture is the most important piece of the puzzle and this is just simply one area where we have failed. The Kiwis and Springboks are famous for getting this right. England most recently have really seemed to get this balance correct too, there are lots of talented former "problem" players in the squad who look to have completely turned things around and will be real assets come the WC.

Where does this culture and discipline stem from? I would say the administration, coach and captain but I suppose that's just my opinion. Regardless, the Wallabies have done an atrocious job of motivating and developing our "problem" players. Look at some of the recent names that fell off the wagon but have been reformed more recently; Beale, O'Conner and Cooper. Is it any coincidence that these guys all had issues when in Wallaby camp but turned everything around in completely separate environments (Beale/ Waratahs, O'Conner/ London Irish, Cooper/ Reds)?

I don't know what happened with Beale and Patterson. It's completely possible that he stuffed up, we all know he has his issues but why was this allowed to happen? Considering history tends to repeat itself way too often, these are the questions we should be asking. Instead, Beale has been disgraced, the team is in chaos and the All Blacks are circling and looking for blood.

This is just straight up b#ll**** mate... it's Rugby in this place - it's just run by f###ing morons at the top level. Go and look at Rugby League and there are plenty of examples of strong coaching figures who had a no nonsense approach that commanded the respect of players. Just have a look at a guy like Wayne Bennett - he's virtually Australia's version of Robbie Deans; 7 premierships, incredibly taciturn, leads by example and commands respect.

It's the same in AFL - plenty of coaches who have managed to tell their players to pull their f###ing heads in and get on with the job. No revolt against authority there either.

No, it's got nothing to do with "aussie culture", it's about sh#t management at the Wallabies.

Ok the individual players and leadership groups within the playing squad hold no responsibility then. I understand now.

Ok the individual players and leadership groups within the playing squad hold no responsibility then. I understand now.

The players are of course ultimately responsible, my point is when players are consistently failing to meet the standards required of them - you need to start asking questions of the administration.

The players are of course ultimately responsible, my point is when players are consistently failing to meet the standards required of them - you need to start asking questions of the administration.

So being drunk and attempting to physically hurt someone else is too high a standard required from management?? And then to do that in a confined environment like a plane where there are witnesses and nowhere to run/hide makes it okay?? In some countries he could've been arrested...

Of course they do - but how are the playing group in the position they're in? Are they made Wallabies in a vacuum? No. They're selected by a coach and his staff, who are in turn there thanks to the choices and the support of a national body.

Sure, the players are definitely responsible here too. But you were making it out to be some bullsh#t about Aussies being unmanageable because of our "culcha" and I just don't buy it, because we have two other football codes that are way bigger here and have a lot more players drawn from far more diverse reaches of our society than we have in Rugby and they don't have anything like this BS for the most part.

Again, why were the Kangaroos able to go on tour in the UK for last years world cup and never have any incidents? Why haven't they had an incident you can remember? Why haven't there been massive divisions and open controversies in the State of Origin? There just aren't, and in League we're talking about guys from much more working class backgrounds.

So being drunk and attempting to physically hurt someone else is too high a standard required from management?? And then to do that in a confined environment like a plane where there are witnesses and nowhere to run/hide makes it okay?? In some countries he could've been arrested...

not sure that' what he's saying mate. Of course Beale is repsonsible for his own behaviour but if the squad is developing a culture of misbehavior with no fear of serious reprisals then that points to a management issue.

There are really two issues here, Beales behaviour and McKenzies leadership of the squad. If he isn't setting the standard and maintaining them then things will quickly go off the rails.

not sure that' what he's saying mate. Of course Beale is repsonsible for his own behaviour but if the squad is developing a culture of misbehavior with no fear of serious reprisals then that points to a management issue.

There are really two issues here, Beales behaviour and McKenzies leadership of the squad. If he isn't setting the standard and maintaining them then things will quickly go off the rails.

I agree with you. I'm just taking the points from what the media has reported. It seems that this matter couldn't have been swept under the rug because someone like an air hostess or other passenger or whoever else would've/had talked to the journalists. It was a story bound to get media attention, and I think ARU took the pre-emptive approach and did what they had to do to prevent speculations if they hadn't. Now with that said, there are still speculation floating around, with regards to management. But if there was really a sense of mismanagement, then surely a buddy of Beale in the Aussie squad would've voiced their experiences already. Instead, I haven't seen any such articles arise after the incident, so that makes me believe that it is really Beale that is the only culprit here.

I'm going to give the Aussie Management the benefit of the doubt here until proven otherwise.

I agree with you. I'm just taking the points from what the media has reported. It seems that this matter couldn't have been swept under the rug because someone like an air hostess or other passenger or whoever else would've/had talked to the journalists. It was a story bound to get media attention, and I think ARU took the pre-emptive approach and did what they had to do to prevent speculations if they hadn't. Now with that said, there are still speculation floating around, with regards to management. But if there was really a sense of mismanagement, then surely a buddy of Beale in the Aussie squad would've voiced their experiences already. Instead, I haven't seen any such articles arise after the incident, so that makes me believe that it is really Beale that is the only culprit here.

I'm going to give the Aussie Management the benefit of the doubt here until proven otherwise.

Actually several key players have approached McKenzie seeking to have his ban reserved including the full Wallaby leadership team; Hooper, AAC and Slipper. This is well documented and you can read about it on Rugby Heaven.

Furthermore, it was been reported that Patterson was extremely disliked by the players in her PA turned Business Manager role for the team. There have also been allegations that Patterson and McKenzie have been engaged in an affair which have been emphatically denied by McKenzie. Patterson is reported to have resigned from her role this morning due to all the above.

A final curveball into the whole scenario, it have also been leaked that McKenzie and the ARU had knowledge of these texts from Beale 4 months ago.

Doesn't it seem strange that the texts are surfacing just as the whole airline argument occurs?

Last edited:
The business manager has quit. Can't link it but the story is on Planet rugby

Latest posts