• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Johnson names England Squad

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Nov 3 2009, 08:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 3 2009, 07:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Funny that, being as he is actually a fullback instead of a wing being shoehorned into fullback...[/b]

Successful international fullbacks of 2009:

Lee Byrne. Rob Kearney. Delon Armitage. Mils Muliaina. Frans Steyn.

Things they have in common:

* Good under the high ball & positioning
* Good kicking games
* Good defence
* Attacking flair

Things Foden offers:

* Attacking flair.

Things Monye offers:

* Good defence
* Attacking flair

Things Cueto offers:

* Good defence

I think I know who I'd rather not have.
[/b][/quote]

I would say that Cueto has a superb kicking game and Monye's is good as well. Both are fine under the high ball as well, but yes, as you said Foden is very similar to Abendanon - poor under the high ball, poor kicking and poor tackling. Neither are international standard, yet.

Monye is brilliant at the last ditch tackle in the corner, but does he really have the attack from fullback? No idea.

Hipkiss better establish himself this time. Can't see why he hasn't done it before.

I reckon Aus have a lot of potential, but they've looked clueless over the summer. Would be funny to see Lawes coming on at 60 and doing a godzilla rampage - Giteau looks over his shoulder in terror as a giant foot comes down and ... splat!

I wouldn't pick Foden, he has had some excellent moments so far this season but as Mite pointed out in several GP games this season, he has a habit of wanting to take the ball and try and run and do all the work himself, even if the entire opposition 15 is running at him. May be good for a last minute 80th minute gamble but when you're isolated and really just need to get it out of your own 22 and into touch its madness!

Now imagine if he decided to try that against even a weakened Australia let alone the All Blacks and there will be mayhem.

Australia look vunerable, but I have a feeling they will raise their game against England

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Infern0 @ Nov 4 2009, 03:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Australia look vunerable, but I have a feeling they will raise their game against England[/b]

I think it's hard to say a team ranked 3rd in the world are looking vulnerable when we are basing that on there most recent games against teams ranked 1st and 2nd.

England vs Australia is always a good hard game and BOTH sides should raise their games for it.

If England want to build towards the world cup we need to be going into every home game confident of a win no matter who we are playing ( Like 2001/2002/2003 ) if the opposition are in form or not. However we are not there yet. Like I said in the other thread, these AIs are more ( in my eyes ) about progression. Starting to Develop a world beating side. Building a squad that picks itself ( Barring injury ).

15 Ugo Monye (Harlequins)
14 Mark Cueto (Sale Sharks)
13 Dan Hipkiss (Leicester Tigers)
12 Shane Geraghty (Northampton Saints)
11 Matt Banahan (Bath Rugby)
10 Jonny Wilkinson (Toulon)
9 Danny Care (Harlequins)

1 Tim Payne (London Wasps)
2 Steve Thompson (CA Brive)
3 Dave Wilson (Bath Rugby)
4 Louis Deacon (Leicester Tigers)
5 Steve Borthwick (Saracens, Captain)
6 Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers)
7 Lewis Moody (Leicester Tigers)
8 Jordan Crane (Leicester Tigers)

REPLACEMENTS

16 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
17 Duncan Bell (Bath Rugby)
*18 Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints)
19 James Haskell (Stade Francais)
20 Paul Hodgson (London Irish)
21 Andy Goode (CA Brive)
*22 Ayoola Erinle (Biarritz Olympique)

pretty much as i expected,
Would've started hartley though.
Glad to see lawes in there from the off. Though i am surprised tait didn't make the 22

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Successful international fullbacks of 2009:

Lee Byrne. Rob Kearney. Delon Armitage. Mils Muliaina. Frans Steyn.

Things they have in common:

* Good kicking games
* Good defence
* Attacking flair

Things Foden offers:

* Attacking flair.

Things Monye offers:

* Good defence
* Attacking flair

Things Cueto offers:

* Good defence

I think I know who I'd rather not have.[/b]

Oh how fickle we English are.

On the Armatidge front - Yes, he has been Englands best player over the last year but he still doesn't hold a candle to Mils, Steyn or Kearney. So far this year, "Best England Player" is similar to "Hottest Fat Chick".

Latest posts