• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jersey RFC

oldscumbagonian

Academy Player
Country Flag
Netherlands
Club or Nation
Plymouth
It seems that Jersey have won League 1 and will be promoted to the Championship (I assume there are no Championship-style play-offs in League 1). I recall Jersey playing in London South-West 3 in the mid to late 1990s; that's equivalent to about level 9. That is an incredible advance in a relatively short time. My question is - how have they done it, particularly given their island location and, I assume, a limited pool of players? Presumably somebody has injected substantial financial resources; and I guess they must have somehow attracted players from the mainland (UK and France)?

I'm intrigued and would like to know more!

It will be interesting to see how they go - they're not well liked in the amateur leagues as they bought their way to the top (they were a pro side in the amateur leagues), so we'll have to wait and see how they get on vs other pro sides.

Depends if you're the one bankrolling them or not :p

From what I recall from London SW3 days, the RFU contributed financial support to cover the costs of teams that had to travel to Jersey for league matches. It was a popular place to go and play (and drink)!

I must say I don't know much about our neighbouring island's rugby - other than they thrashed us at the Siam Cup last week. There's some big talent in some of their younger players, it'll be interesting to see what they do with themselves.

Rumours are a lot of old lions caps will be heading there. Having played there many a times and seen their senior team play, I can say what ever they need to do to stay up they will do so. They already have masses of land and permission to built new stands and I doubt their finances will limit them. Their academy is very good but most of their 1st team players are imports.

While I'm on the subject of channel island teams I want to congratulate Guernsey on winning London south 1 and securing promotion into national 3 yesterday after an 18 game winning streak!!! :)

They already have masses of land and permission to built new stands and I doubt their finances will limit them. Their academy is very good but most of their 1st team players are imports.

Yeah, unfortunately that's the issue. I know some of their locals aren't keen on the fact some of their best men aren't local (you'll find that kind of attitude in a lot of Channel Islanders!). As for money, yeah, I think they've got a log going on.

While I'm on the subject of channel island teams I want to congratulate Guernsey on winning London south 1 and securing promotion into national 3 yesterday after an 18 game winning streak!!! :)

EDIT: Didn't realise I was telling a Guernsey lad about what he already knew! Might help if I checked who I was talking to first. :lol:

Last edited:
Ben Evans, David Bishop and Nicky Griffiths all play for Jersey.

Just had a wee look at their website. Fantastic! A few pros in there alright. A lot of Welsh men and even a South African who, according to his profile, played for the Bulls. Some hit. Would love to see them doing well.

It makes a nice change of some Arab oil guy coming in and buying some football team. I really don't like football.

Probably pretty attractive for players due to tax exemptions

Oh, it is! The CIs are attractive to everybody, let alone the players. We probably do the taxes for that Arab guy Jayatron was on about! No, I must give credit to the Jersey team though. They're certainly passionate about their ruggers!

Thanks for posting those links. I suspect that there's a touch of rose-tinted spectacles in the article on how the club has risen so fast. Note this, for instance, buried deep in the middle: "The island's finance industry has played a role in the success, with corporate sponsorship helping to keep the finances ticking over."

And whilst there clearly are a (small?) number of locals playing, as earlier posts on this thread have suggested, the difference between London 3 and the Championship is not one that can be bridged by simply getting in a good coach! Anyway, best of luck to them and it will be interesting to see how they fare next season.

Latest posts