• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Izzy Folau

THIS!

Nail on head

Just so that people are aware of my position on religion, so that there can be no doubt, my experience of religion is as follows.

I was indoctrinated into Christianity from an early age. I was sent to Sunday school by my parents, but at about 10 years old, I started asking really awkward questions (such as why I couldn't see heaven when I looked up to the night sky, and how could hell be below us when no-one has ever gone deeper than a couple of miles into the ground, and how did Jesus manage to walk on water when the surface tension would never have held his weight, and if God does love us all, how come he allows the poor to remain poor and for those he loves to die in car accidents, plane crashes, and floods, fires and earthquakes?) The Sunday school teacher asked my parents to stop sending me because I was being "disruptive). It was shortly afterwards that I realised that religion is nothing more than bunk designed to pull the wool over the eyes of anyone whom by that age had not stopped asking questions. My rational reasonable mind would no longer stand being told "because god made it that way" in answer to every question I asked. So I turned my back on religion fully and completely; and it did me no harm - I am now 63, and so far, I have led a mostly satisfying and happy life without the need to know why I am alive.

What I can tell you is this: the MESSAGE of The Bible is indeed valid; if the world really was a place without war and prejudice, bigotry and evil, greed and hunger etc, then it would be a wonderful place. However, the METHOD the bible uses to get that message across is completely wrong. Filling people's minds with dread and fear is not the way to instill righteousness. Look how many wars have been fought over which religion is the correct one? Faith in one god or another can get you killed depending on where on earth you happen to live, or even visit in the current climate.

It seems to me that its safer to have no faith at all except in your own ability to lead your life in a caring and responsible manner, achieving a peaceful existence by simply leading a decent and honourable life, and accepting those around you as your equals. I do all those things because I chose to do so, not because I think it will earn me better stead in the afterlife.
Yeah but Jesus wasn't about those things such as war. He'll fight his war with Satan but he wanted us to love our enemies.

Our lives and what we do in them is suppose to be a test. God tests our faith and those who do well, go to heaven. Well thats the picture.

I understand your doubts.

I love how salty this discussion is getting. We've got random CAPITALISED words from delboy, All Black unhappy about the thread being called "cringe", Xsypher calling people "misinformed", Smartcooky saying posts are "utter rubbish", and Heineken calling people a "special kind of stupid". It is all very pleasing and I think healthy for a forum such as this.

All because Folau believes that, just for being who they are as a gay person (remember he didn't talk about a homosexual act such as penetrative anal or vaginal sex or felatio or mutual ************ between two people of the same gender) is worthy of eternal damnation.

I love how salty this discussion is getting. We've got random CAPITALISED words from delboy, All Black unhappy about the thread being called "cringe", Xsypher calling people "misinformed", Smartcooky saying posts are "utter rubbish", and Heineken calling people a "special kind of stupid". It is all very pleasing and I think healthy for a forum such as this.

All because Folau believes that, just for being who they are as a gay person (remember he didn't talk about a homosexual act such as penetrative anal or vaginal sex or felatio or mutual ************ between two people of the same gender) is worthy of eternal damnation.
It's definitely keeping this forum active thats for sure.

Well look at it this way, have you honestly seen the quran pulled out in the court of law to swear oath on? Like honestly. Because I honestly haven't.

Anyway, christianity IMO has played a big part in shaping a lot of our laws.

You realise what ever you swear an oath on isn't anything to do with what's important to the court, no connection with the laws at all, it's something that is sacred to the person testifying, if could be a pic of your kids for all the court cares

Um whats my point?? I just asked you a simple question. Have you honestly seen a court of law pull out the quran to swear oath on? Thats it, it's a yes or a no. Not trying to make any point.
I have. I was shadowing at the Procurator Fiscal in Glasgow and we were at the Sheriff Court sitting in on a case.

I personally have and I have also seen atheists being sworn in without a bible.
Yeah and thats fair enough. You didn't have to provide sources to prove what you were saying. I believe you. I just wanted to know if anyone had seen it happen before.

Um whats my point?? I just asked you a simple question. Have you honestly seen a court of law pull out the quran to swear oath on? Thats it, it's a yes or a no. Not trying to make any point.
If you aren't trying to make a point why ask the question? i'm pretty sure you are just trolling at this point.

Well looks like all the interesting discussions on this complex topic is done so peace out people.

We'll catch up again when the All Blacks win the world cup lol. YEAH!!!

While the Church has definitely been at the centre of a number of wrongs committed over the last 2000 or so years the so called dark ages and particularly in the case of Copernicus weren't like they are in the popular imagination.

Copernicus had a doctorate in canon law and dedicated his book to the pope. His findings were even taught at major Catholic Universities, the tune was definitely changed by the time of Galileo largely due to the rise of fundamentalist Protestantism and Galileo being a bit of a dick.

The Dark Ages are so called because very few of their writings survived to the modern day. One of the reasons we actually have any writings is because they were transcribed by monks. The Catholic Church was pretty much the only source of scholarship or education in medieval Europe (which of course does have it's own problems) and they were also one of the biggest patrons during the Renaissance. There has always been problems with fundamentalism in the Church from when it became the religion of the Roman Empire but a lot of the more fundamental aspects didn't come about until later then you'd think. For example celibacy didn't become a requirement for those in religious orders until the 1100s.
Interesting. I'm certainly no historian. I don't it's terribly contentious to suggest that people have used religion as justification for doing bad things, which was my original point.

If you aren't trying to make a point why ask the question? i'm pretty sure you are just trolling at this point.
Duh if you don't know the answer to something, you ask a question. In your case , if you dont where your keys are, you ask someone to make a point?? LOL. Nah it's just a simple question and others answered it no problem but you...oh I dont know. It was just a simple question, not trying to make any point.

I assumed the OG, ncurd? Clarify

I can just imagine it...

Brent: I don't really see what the big deal is. I've always said, we've all got a little gay in us (ooo madam). No but seriously, we've all had gay thoughts. Well not gay gay thoughts, but little ones like...ordering a cocktail instead of a beer. Some of my friends are gay and none of them have ever tried anything. I'm pretty sure Keith is gay.
Keith: I'm not.
Brent: Are you sure? Well you look gay, and that's the point: All shapes and sizes!

I assumed the OG, ncurd? Clarify
Oh OG I don't think I've seen anything other than clips of the US version.

I should state I didn't hate it just it never enthralled me. I was a bigger fan of Extras which again is nothing compared to true great British comedy like Fawlty Towers or Blackadder.

On topic Gervais has been accused of transphobia within his standup routine....

*throws grenade and runs*

I should state I didn't hate it just it never enthralled me. I was a bigger fan of Extras which again is nothing compared to true great British comedy like Fawlty Towers or Blackadder.

I'll give you a pass on the tv shows...not touching the Gervais stuff as I know nothing about it

Luckily he gets paid (a lot) to make fun of people.

Dave Chapelle copped the same criticism.

Latest posts