• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

ITM Cup - Round 1

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
The 2012 ITM Cup season kicks off of Thursday night, with Hawke's Bay hosting Auckland in Napier.

Round 1 Fixtures

Thursday 23rd August:
Hawkes%20Bay.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Auckland.png

McLean Park, Napier. 7.35pm.

Friday 24th August:
Manawatu.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Wellington.png

FMG Stadium, Palmerston North. 6.05pm
Tasman.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Canterbury.png

Trafalger Park, Nelson. 8.05pm

Saturday 25th August:
Bay%20of%20Plenty.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Taranaki.png

Baypark Stadium, Mount Maunganui. 2.35pm

Otago.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Northland.png

Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin. 4.35pm

Sunday 26th August:

North%20Harbour.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Waikato.png

North Harbour Stadium, Albany. 2.35pm

Counties%20Manukau.png
Versus%20Magners.png
Southland.png

ECO Light Stadium, Pukekohe. 4.35pm

Predictions:
Hawke's Bay
Wellington
Canterbury
Taranaki
Otago
North Harbour
Counties Manukau

Predictions:
Hawke's Bay
Wellington
Canterbury
Taranaki
Otago
North Harbour
Counties Manukau

I would go Waikato over North Harbour, and Southland over Counties, but I expect they will be very close games. In fact there probably aren't any games that I could pick the winner with any confidence!

My years of supporting Waikato have taught me that they are dire at the start of the season usually, and sometimes improve :p

They just don't play a very smart game, forcing offloads etc.

My years of supporting Waikato have taught me that they are dire at the start of the season usually, and sometimes improve :p

They just don't play a very smart game, forcing offloads etc.

My years of watching North Harbour have taught me that they are dire throughout the season, so it may not be a high quality match ;)

Waikato have lost their pre-season games but have not used many of their top players/super rugby players. so they are still very much an unknown factor

ITM cup always throws up a few surprises, all I know is that without even actually seeing the full canterbury squad I think it's clearly the strongest. maybe even stronger on paper compared to others as they have been in previous seasons - in particular compared to main rivals Waikato who have usually had Donald and/or Messam

Just hope someone steps up to challenge canterbury, Auckland have a young squad will be interesting to see how they go.

ok so Canterbury ITM cup squad has only just been released today....

It includes some names which will obviously not feature at all because of All Black duty, but still looks like a very very strong squad. I was interested to see if Slade would be named - he is below. Would be good to see him back playing again.

Full Squad:
Dominic Bird

Tyler Bleyendaal
Dan Carter
Wyatt Crockett
Ryan Crotty
Andy Ellis
Joel Everson
Paea Fa'anunu
Corey Flynn
Ben Franks
Owen Franks
Robbie Fruean
Ben Funnell
Willi Heinz
Luke Katene
Nepo Laulala
Johnny McNichol
Sean Maitland
Nasi Manu
Richie McCaw
Sam Monaghan
Joe Moody
Brendon O'Connor
Andrew Olorenshaw
Patrick Osborne
Kieran Read
Luke Romano
Colin Slade
Mark Swanepoel
Codie Taylor
Tom Taylor
Matt Todd
Telusa Veainu
Adam Whitelock
George Whitelock
Luke Whitelock
Sam Whitelock

Whenever the ABs are in camp Canterbury are going to have a very green tight 5, one which I'd actually expect to come second agianst Taranaki, Southland, Wellington, Waikato, and maybe BOP, Hawkes Bay, Auckland and Harbour as well. From what I understand, getting your beans on a regular basis in this area is not normally a hallmark of a champion team - but we'll see.

Auckland side for Hawke's Bay named:

AUCKLAND:
Charles Piutau, Ben Lam, Malakai Fekitoa, Hadleigh Parkes, George Moala, Gareth Anscombe, Alby Mathewson, Peter Saili, Daniel Braid (c), Steven Luatua, Andrew Van der Heijden, Liaki Moli, Charlie Faumuina / Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Tom McCartney, Pauliasi Manu.
Reserves:
Nathan Vella, Ofa Tu'ungafasi / Angus Ta'avao, Nathan Hughes, Sean Polwart, Auvasa Faleali'i, Tony Fenner, Dave Thomas

A young (but very talented) backline named, with only Parkes and Mathewson older than 21. Faumuina has been released by the AB's (barring someone getting injured in training today), which is a boost for Auckland. Just noticed that there are only 7 players on the bench - either they have left off a prop, or the ITM Cup has gone back to 7 man benches this season (which would be strange, as I think 8 man benched look like they will be at all levels in future...)

Whenever the ABs are in camp Canterbury are going to have a very green tight 5, one which I'd actually expect to come second agianst Taranaki, Southland, Wellington, Waikato, and maybe BOP, Hawkes Bay, Auckland and Harbour as well. From what I understand, getting your beans on a regular basis in this area is not normally a hallmark of a champion team - but we'll see.

The tight-five is going to be the real test for Canterbury. They survived for most of last season with probably a weaker front row (as Flynn was missing, as well as Crockett and Owen Franks), but definitely had strong locking pairing last season (as Romano wasn't an All Black then). Big things are expected out of Dominic Bird this season (a 2.06 lock, who with the Under 20's last season). Luke Katane and Joel Everson are the other locking options, and while I quite like the look of a Bird/Everson pairing (as Everson is massive as well), I wouldn't be surprised if we see someone like George Whitelock move into lock (as they did with Ash Parker last season). Whitelock plays the right sort of game for a lock, and he wouldn't be missed in the loose-forwards, as they have an abundance of quality loosies even without McCaw and Read....

Last edited:
*Whew* that was a close one Auckland 36 Hawkes Bay 29. I watched all of the first half where Auckland led 29 - 9 then I went to the store thinking we had it in the bag, came and back it was 29 - 29 with 20 minutes to go. Auckland scored the winning try because of a break made by Ben Lam who unselfishly gave the ball to Mathewson to score, Ben Lam also scored a brilliant solo try in the first half, aucklands other wing Moala was also really good, he was really strong bumping off players etc, Piutau also had a good game. I missed most of the second half so I didn't see Hawkes Bays come back, but I saw they dominated possession and territory for most of the 2nd half. Interesting thing about this game though is the new rules, when the ref calls 'use it' they have 5 seconds to use the ball or they lose possession and it looked like it caught the players out a lot. Glad Auckland are back to winning ways

It looked like Auckland were robbed of 2 tries as well, one in the first half where the ref ruled a knock on but the replay showed it came off a Hawkes Bay player, and another one in the 2nd half where the auckland centre looked like he was running in for a try, when the Hawkes Bay fullback fell over and tripped the Auckland player with his leg, if it wasn't for that it would have been a try

Last edited:
*Whew* that was a close one Auckland 36 Hawkes Bay 29. I watched all of the first half where Auckland led 29 - 9 then I went to the store thinking we had it in the bag, came and back it was 29 - 29 with 20 minutes to go. Auckland scored the winning try because of a break made by Ben Lam who unselfishly gave the ball to Mathewson to score, Ben Lam also scored a brilliant solo try in the first half, aucklands other wing Moala was also really good, he was really strong bumping off players etc, Piutau also had a good game. I missed most of the second half so I didn't see Hawkes Bays come back, but I saw they dominated possession and territory for most of the 2nd half. Interesting thing about this game though is the new rules, when the ref calls 'use it' they have 5 seconds to use the ball or they lose possession and it looked like it caught the players out a lot. Glad Auckland are back to winning ways

It looked like Auckland were robbed of 2 tries as well, one in the first half where the ref ruled a knock on but the replay showed it came off a Hawkes Bay player, and another one in the 2nd half where the auckland centre looked like he was running in for a try, when the Hawkes Bay fullback fell over and tripped the Auckland player with his leg, if it wasn't for that it would have been a try

Quite enjoyed the match, and it was a good opportunity to have a look at the new law interpretations. From what I saw I quite like the look of the '5 second rule' as it certainly had the effect of speeding the game up.

I felt Auckland deserved the win, but Hawke's Bay made a good comeback in the second half. As you mention Auckland's back three all looked sharp (Ben Lam in particular), while the Hawke's bay wings also impressed. Nemani is an incredibly powerful wing both in attack and defense, and is sure to cause opposition teams a few headaches this season. Guildford did some good things too - he made a couple of fantastic takes under the high ball, and make a beautiful kick leading up to Timu's try. Kaka however was shocking at fullback (and was luckily subbed off at half time) - he has some incredible skills, but his decision making is really shocking at times.

Other players to standout to me were Faumuina and Peter Saili for Auckland, while Ash Dixon and Andrew Horrell stood out for Hawke's Bay. Not sure what the story is with Dan Braid's injury, but Auckland will be hoping it is not too serious, as they really need his experience.

Last edited:
Some impressive work from Ben Lam for Auckland and Nemani for the Bay

that try from lam was impressive but what was kaka doing? he didn't even look like he was trying... Very half arsed.

Horrell showed his genuine class again.

Good to see Peter Borlaise back in NZ, looks like he needs some time on the bike though. He in like for the blues next season?

Some Rotten work and kicks in particular from Mathewson. I'm not his biggest fan. i really think long term the blues need to use Weepu and find another young firecracker halfback to help match up with the other NZ teams in that area. He had a couple of good games this year but overall and early in the super season in particular he did not look very interested and was very average. I'm not surprised his future with the blues is up in the air - blues selectors should hold back and see if something better pops up in ITM cup.

Bout time Guildford got a damn haircut, I think he'll spend more and more time in the All Blacks if he just continues to be more professional.

Auckland have some good young talent, not a bad first showing for that massive U20 prop.

Some impressive work from Ben Lam for Auckland and Nemani for the Bay

that try from lam was impressive but what was kaka doing? he didn't even look like he was trying... Very half arsed.

Horrell showed his genuine class again.

Good to see Peter Borlaise back in NZ, looks like he needs some time on the bike though. He in like for the blues next season?

Some Rotten work and kicks in particular from Mathewson. I'm not his biggest fan. i really think long term the blues need to use Weepu and find another young firecracker halfback to help match up with the other NZ teams in that area. He had a couple of good games this year but overall and early in the super season in particular he did not look very interested and was very average. I'm not surprised his future with the blues is up in the air - blues selectors should hold back and see if something better pops up in ITM cup.

Bout time Guildford got a damn haircut, I think he'll spend more and more time in the All Blacks if he just continues to be more professional.

Auckland have some good young talent, not a bad first showing for that massive U20 prop.

Haha judging by Nonu and Umaga I don't think a decent haircut is a prerequisite for selection. Mathewson is better than most halfbacks in the ITM. Would love to have him in the turbos.

Right, a couple more matches tonight: Manawatu vs Wellington, and Tasman vs Canterbury. Particularly looking forward to seeing Ardie Savea (who is only 18!) starting at number 8 for Wellington.

Then on Saturday, at 4.35pm, the game everyone has been waiting for: Otago vs Northland ;)

Last edited:
They play 4 clubs on the other side each, Turbos taking one on the chin tonight so far in eh?

Man the turbos really miss Aaron smith and Aaron Cruden. Bryson was horrendous, decision making and execution was horrible. Nathan George looked way out of his depth too. On a brighter note Emery showed a decent moment or two, at least he took the ball to the line.

Wellington backs looked slick, they had some very nice passages of play.

Mathewson needs some time at a big club in France or Japan to sort out his professionalism via the stick I reckon - too much talent to play like he has been lately. Hey Invictus, Harbour is $5.50 for the half time full time, I'm on it, maybe you should put your heart in a dark room and pick up some pinga too

Latest posts