• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italy to "upgrade" Stadio Flaminio

P

Prestwick

http://www.scrum.com/scrum/rugby/story/108729.html

The Stadio Flaminio is going to be "upgraded" from the current 24,000 capacity scaffolding monstrosity into a much nicer, safer and less sea-sick prone 42,000.

IRFU officials weren't availible for comment on questions about why the Italians are able to build a stadium almost as big as the new Lansdowne Road at the fraction of the price using metal poles.

---

In all seriousness, I went to see Italy vs France last year and the Stadio Flaminio is in dire need of some TLC. The north and south stands are basically covered in scaffolding to get those extra people in and when the wind blows the whole thing sways from side to side.

Simply put, if you're going to see your team play Italy and your ticket says "curva nord" or "curva sud" then I beg of you don't go on a bender the night before because you will be sick.

If they do update the Flaminio then I hope they don't get rid of the guys selling beer out of bath tubs outside, they're special and awesome.

As long as they don't lose the 'oldness' of the Flaminio, I'll be happy. The stadium looks beautiful IMO, and I would hate it if they destroyed its history by creating a modern stadium.

By the looks at how quickly they want to get it up to 42,000...my gut instinct is that they'll be using more scaffolding to get there rather than knocking anything down :D

Would be awesome for an upgrade. Italy national rugby team could pack out the San Siro which holds 80,000 so giving a facelift to the Flaminio is needed.

Latest posts