• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Irish Rugby - The Party Years

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1232024646205222914

I wonder what position Baird will end up I think he's come through mostly as a lock but had some strong performances at 6 for the u20s and the big athletic secondrow at blindside seems to be in Vogue at the moment.
I suspect lock in the short term at least, if only because there's going to be more available gametime there for both at Pro14 level right now and eventually Champions cup level (it's probably Fardy's last season in blue and Dev isn't getting any younger.)

https://twitter.com/leinsterrugby/status/1232024646205222914

I wonder what position Baird will end up I think he's come through mostly as a lock but had some strong performances at 6 for the u20s and the big athletic secondrow at blindside seems to be in Vogue at the moment.

Well he's in the senior squad now. Maybe jumping the gun a bit but then again it worked with James Ryan.

Only other change I can see is no Addison, just can't stay fit. Ringrose isn't back either. No one called up to replace Healy.

IRELAND SQUAD

Backs (15)
Bundee Aki (Connacht), Billy Burns (Ulster), Ross Byrne (Leinster), Andrew Conway (Munster), John Cooney (Ulster), Keith Earls (Munster), Chris Farrell (Munster), Robbie Henshaw (Leinster), Dave Kearney (Leinster), Jordan Larmour (Leinster), Stuart McCloskey (Ulster), Luke McGrath (Leinster), Conor Murray (Munster), Jonathan Sexton (Leinster), Jacob Stockdale (Ulster).

Forwards (20)
Ryan Baird (Leinster), Will Connors (Leinster), Max Deegan (Leinster), Ultan Dillane (Connacht), Caelan Doris (Leinster), Tadhg Furlong (Leinster), Dave Heffernan (Connacht), Iain Henderson (Ulster), Rob Herring (Ulster), Rónan Kelleher (Leinster), Dave Kilcoyne (Munster), Jack McGrath (Ulster), Jack O'Donoghue (Munster), Peter O'Mahony (Munster), Tom O'Toole (Ulster), Andrew Porter (Leinster), James Ryan (Leinster), CJ Stander (Munster), Devin Toner (Leinster), Josh van der Flier (Leinster).

Outlets seem to be reporting he's only there for the first part of the week, so appears to be in the apprentice role he had in the initial squad. Just seems to be getting more attention because of his recent performances.

And Joey is out for the rest of the season (assuming the season runs its full planned length). Another season like this and unfortunate questions will have to be asked.

And Joey is out for the rest of the season (assuming the season runs its full planned length). Another season like this and unfortunate questions will have to be asked.
To be fair. All this is from an injury forced by Ireland in taking a gamble at the RWC. He should never have went and well a risk was taken and now the cost of repairing it is left with us. Joey will get through it though and return better than ever next season.

To be fair. All this is from an injury forced by Ireland in taking a gamble at the RWC. He should never have went and well a risk was taken and now the cost of repairing it is left with us. Joey will get through it though and return better than ever next season.

To be fair - thats a load of balls.

His ankle trouble from the Italian game pre-RWC did not lead to his wrist getting injured in sympathy against us.

Fair enough on the ankle surgery, but not the wrist.

To be fair - thats a load of balls.

His ankle trouble from the Italian game pre-RWC did not lead to his wrist getting injured in sympathy against us.

Fair enough on the ankle surgery, but not the wrist.
And what is it that is keeping him out long term??
His wrist healed within 3 weeks. It's the ankle that has caused him issues.
His wrist has nothing to do with it.

Joey will get through it though and return better than ever next season.
Hopefully because he's a massive talent and is brilliant to watch when on form. You have to wonder whether he's big enough for pro rugby though. Perhaps taking him out of the firing line at 10 and instead moving him to a playmaking 15 role would help his longevity.

Hopefully because he's a massive talent and is brilliant to watch when on form. You have to wonder whether he's big enough for pro rugby though. Perhaps taking him out of the firing line at 10 and instead moving him to a playmaking 15 role would help his longevity.
To be fair his injury record before ladt March was good

So, is everyone else massively underwhelmed by the total lack of rugby this weekend?

France will whack the Scots and then you've got two middling (one arguably poor) teams that we don't care about... Meh

I will say it straight. Feel sorry for likes of Sexton. Leinster had great shot of winning Europe this year but it seems the competition is going to be scrapped and next season may take a hit also as English and French seasons may start later and Europe will be sacrificed for 1 season. And Sexton will not lead a team to European glory in 2 years.

I will say it straight. Feel sorry for likes of Sexton. Leinster had great shot of winning Europe this year but it seems the competition is going to be scrapped and next season may take a hit also as English and French seasons may start later and Europe will be sacrificed for 1 season. And Sexton will not lead a team to European glory in 2 years.

The ECR haven't said it is gonna be scrapped, only postponed.

The ECR haven't said it is gonna be scrapped, only postponed.
100% aware of what they have said for now. I'm only speaking about the rumours that are strongly floating. There will be no rugby played before mid-May at the earliest and that is provided France and UK are clear of Covid-19. Which is unlikely then both those leagues want to finish their domestic seasons. There will be no room for Europe.

There was meetings with Rugby Player Associations also and they will need to be afforded a reasonable pre-season before next season begins also and this will be an impact too.

Based on nothing but gut instinct, this season will be completed (perhaps a few rounds of the Pro 14 regular season will be cut) and next season will be truncated. It's the fairest thing to do since we're 2/3 of the way through the season. If we were only a few rounds into the Pro 14 and European Cup then the season would be cancelled. I imagine Super Rugby is heading in that direction.

Based on nothing but gut instinct, this season will be completed (perhaps a few rounds of the Pro 14 regular season will be cut) and next season will be truncated. It's the fairest thing to do since we're 2/3 of the way through the season. If we were only a few rounds into the Pro 14 and European Cup then the season would be cancelled. I imagine Super Rugby is heading in that direction.
From what I'm hearing. The English and French want to cancel Europe and finish domestic season. Then allow sufficient preseason before new domestic season. The domestic season if it goes late will harm Europe in 20/21 also as Lions tour is involved and its worth too much to unions financially to alter.
France and England say domestic season is worth more than Europe to sacrifice or alter. And that is before financial implications.

My guess is Europe cancelled this year. A watered down competition next year and back to normal in 2 years

Latest posts