• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

In goal Areas

pagliaccio_euforico

International
TRF Legend
I'm fairly young so I don't know much about history but it seems that in goal areas have shrunk to a ridiculously small size. Additionally, in the Leicester Munster match today the one in goal area was in terrible shape. I saw one of the rugby europe 7s tournaments that was a qualifier for the olympics that had 3 meter long in goal areas. Even in rugby league the super league grand final only had 3-4 meter in goal areas. Does anyone know why this is happening? Football teams shrinking their pitch so they can have more seats maybe?

I'm fairly young so I don't know much about history but it seems that in goal areas have shrunk to a ridiculously small size. Additionally, in the Leicester Munster match today the one in goal area was in terrible shape. I saw one of the rugby europe 7s tournaments that was a qualifier for the olympics that had 3 meter long in goal areas. Even in rugby league the super league grand final only had 3-4 meter in goal areas. Does anyone know why this is happening? Football teams shrinking their pitch so they can have more seats maybe?
Leicester have a small ground (in terms of pitch size) anyway but I don't think there have been any deliberate shrinkings to fit more seats in. If they share with Football team I believe they are naturally smaller due to the differences in sizes between a Football pitch and rugby pitch.

7's may have different rules but a standard pitch must have 10 meter in-goal areas at a minimum.
http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=1&language=EN

Overall though it makes little difference moves which make use of the in-goal area very rarely are pulled off regardless of the size so no need to panic it's not dramatically effective anything.

The in goal at Leicester is fine.

Just looks like that on one end because we have cranes going on it everyday pretty much to build the new stand. Will be sorted when new stand is up which is soon.

Interesting, i haven't heard of stadium construction affecting the playing surface before.
I know the 2014 World Cup had unfinished stadiums when the competition started and the Chicago Cubs in our baseball were working on the stadium at the beginning of the season which led to some horrible conditions.

is there a minimum or maximum length for in goal areas at all? some games i have watched seem to have massive in goal areas

is there a minimum or maximum length for in goal areas at all? some games i have watched seem to have massive in goal areas
the-plan-feb2015-en.jpg

Interesting, i haven't heard of stadium construction affecting the playing surface before.
I know the 2014 World Cup had unfinished stadiums when the competition started and the Chicago Cubs in our baseball were working on the stadium at the beginning of the season which led to some horrible conditions.

It's because that stand is so close to main road that you can't use the big big cranes on that side really do have to use it on the pitch side.

[IMGhttp://www.aerialphotography.org.uk/Sports/Sports-grounds-and-tracks/i-99sB8dL/0/L/Leicester%20Tigers%20aerial-2-L.jpg[/IMG]

It the right hand side stand on this photo and the new stand goes pretty much to the road (pretty much) so space is tight.

Trouble with Welford road is the space around the stadium is limited fortunately our council are pretty good.

Leicester have a small ground (in terms of pitch size) anyway but I don't think there have been any deliberate shrinkings to fit more seats in. If they share with Football team I believe they are naturally smaller due to the differences in sizes between a Football pitch and rugby pitch.

7's may have different rules but a standard pitch must have 10 meter in-goal areas at a minimum.
http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=1&language=EN

Overall though it makes little difference moves which make use of the in-goal area very rarely are pulled off regardless of the size so no need to panic it's not dramatically effective anything.

Oh? As far as I understand, the minimum length of ingoals is 6m.
In the World Cup this year, the length of ingoals was 6m at most venues, except Twickenham and Millenium.

I think that 112m (94m field of play, 9m*2 ingoals) length is the best solution for ground sharing with Football or Athletics. Standard length of Football pitch is 105m, but 112m must be OK for most Football/Athletics stadiums.
Rugby League should also change 10m lines to 9.4m lines.

by law the in-goal area has to be a minimum of 6 meters, it is suggested to be between 10 and 22 meters with international matches preferred to use the maximum distance
my observation was that if you look at videos from matches in the mid 80s or early 90s the in goal areas are much bigger than they are today, i'm thinking what happened was that I saw southern hemisphere matches where they used cricket grounds so they had much more room for in goal areas than the northern countries that played in rugby specific or shared grounds

Latest posts