• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

I quit playing for awhile

Originally posted by Confused@Aug 7 2005, 02:44 AM
Your suggestion that perhaps we have done a poor job of spreading our sports around the world is indeed wrong. Many people in many places care about Baseball and Basketball. You don't.
I had heard about Baseball's world cup, but as far as I knew it had only just been confirmed as a reality... maybe thats something else. As for basketball, it's true that it's played in a fair few places, but it doesn't ever seem to be anything more than a minor sport in the countries that do play it... it's a bit like rugby is in the US and any players who are slightly decent just end up in the NBA... Basketball players always look very athletic, but it's the very definition of a "youscorewescore" sport...

Thanks for the discussion fellas.

I do have one more question. Are you still playing Rugby 2005? I haven't played in over a month since I am addicted to this damn amateur beefed-up rounder WWF game less than .5% of the world cares about called NCAA 2006
<

Originally posted by Confused@Aug 7 2005, 04:39 AM

I do have one more question. Are you still playing Rugby 2005? I haven't played in over a month since I am addicted to this damn amateur beefed-up rounder WWF game less than .5% of the world cares about called NCAA 2006
<
Oddly enough, I just reinstalled it today!
<

Hammered the Brumbies with the Blues than got bored though.

Yeah, it gets too repetitive. They should make guys retire and you have to get new guys and train them whatever... Something to keep it fresh. I am in my 4th season on NCAA and it's still fun. My Heisman winning QB is a senior and so is the backup so it will be hard to replace my Quarterback.

Originally posted by Confused@Aug 7 2005, 04:39 AM

<
I usually play it after a wallabies loss (so for a couple weeks running now) in order to feel a bit better about the state of Australian rugby...
It is mind numbingly easy though. I play it on hard with 10 minutes halves in the TN and always score at least 8 tries... so now I try and mix it up and do short kicks, bombs etc so it gets a bit closer... still too easy though, but it's a bit of fun and it takes my mind off the impending doom the Wallabies are facing in this years series.

I like to make myself feel good about USA rugby and win the WC. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

I still play it, and look forward to playing it, but I'm so ****** off that there isn't a create-your-own-tourney feature with stats, injuries and what not.

I mean, EA Sports Rugby World Cup 1995 allowed you to select whoever you wanted to take part in a tournament. 10 years ago!

So Ripper, are you an American Football fan at all? I am curious why you have that horrible Vikes clip in your signature. As you can obviously tell, that was the Vikings announcer in that clip. We got pretty ****** that night.

i never knew brazil was a british colony or germany for that matter, or most of the 400 or so registered to play professional football,

listen mate - football may be a girls game where your from , but i can assure you that it is no more girly than a bunch of men who have more padding on than the terminator rolling around on the floor everytime they get tackled.
American games are sluggish and broken, and have little historical relevance or cultural value, The same with aussie rules football, but at least they call it aussie rules, they acknowledge that the real football is played by kicking the ball with your feet [hence the word football] and not chucking it to some guy running down the pitch and doing a stuped little dance in the touchdown thingy place.

America is a new country in terms of the world, and it hasnt had time to develop a serious sport with cultural values, i think baseball is the most synoptic american sport, with the greats like babe ruth helping to mainstream the sport in the early days.
However wwe wrestling gets more viewers in this counrty than the nfl. I know its your tradition and all but seriously it aint that good a sport, i mean theres only a few countries who like it. I know your a super power [ apparrently] but were Great Britain and weve been around a lot longer than you. and you go on about british colonies, come to think of it werent you one of colonies only 200 or so years ago,just remember americans are just a melting pot of different nationalites, asians, espanics, but most dominantly northern europeans, thats right the founding father set sale from this very country. What are americans there just descendants of us, combined with the natives, just like most of the countries around the world, because its still true today, "the sun never sets on the british empire"

yes ive noticed that coming back to the game after a whie brings back that new and shiny feel to the game, i have also rescently bought an xbox, and the rugby version is much better than the ps2's

Originally posted by loratadine@Aug 11 2005, 11:41 AM
American games are sluggish and broken, and have little historical relevance or cultural value, The same with aussie rules football, but at least they call it aussie rules, they acknowledge that the real football is played by kicking the ball with your feet
I think most Aussie rules fans would argue that Aussie rules has rather significant cultural value... the first record of it being played goes as far back as 1858, and it's rules came from a variety of sources (some even suggest the Aboriginals contributed to it). Personally I don't like it, but to say something has limited cultural or historical relevance on the basis of the age of the country playing it compared to traditional European imperialist powers is a bit short sighted....

Originally posted by USArugger@Aug 11 2005, 02:55 AM
So Ripper, are you an American Football fan at all?  I am curious why you have that horrible Vikes clip in your signature.  As you can obviously tell, that was the Vikings announcer in that clip.  We got pretty ****** that night.
Rams Fan for Life...

Although will be rooting for the Cards this year.

I feel sorry for you Vikes Fans, you to put it plainly have no hope this year:

MikeTice_010702.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I think most Aussie rules fans would argue that Aussie rules has rather significant cultural value... the first record of it being played goes as far back as 1858, and it's rules came from a variety of sources (some even suggest the Aboriginals contributed to it). Personally I don't like it, but to say something has limited cultural or historical relevance on the basis of the age of the country playing it compared to traditional European imperialist powers is a bit short sighted....[/b]

ok sorry mate i didnt mean to belittle aussie rules i just meant to place it in the same box as the nfl, in order to show that at least the australians call it aussie rules football and not just call it football like our american friends have done.

"America is a new country in terms of the world, and it hasnt had time to develop a serious sport with cultural values"

It's nice that in your little world you can judge a sport by how long it has been played. I would have to say that if there was ever a point I was trying to make it is the complete opposite of yours. I don't care what sport anyone likes. It's your own dang business. I happen to like (in this order) American Football, NASCAR, rugby, baseball, and then there are quite a few depending on the time of year.

I actually enjoy playing soccer and watching my daughters play. If I had a son, he would probably only play soccer until he was old enough to play football because the seasons interfere. It is not necessarily anti-soccer it's just the way it is here. If he chose to play soccer instead, good for him. High School rugby does not catch on either because it tends to interfere with the "Almighty Football".

The "pads" comment about football is another old tired cliche. We used to play pick-up games all the time with no pads but it is a completely different game. You can't hit as hard without pads on because you will kill your shoulders and head. Football players can hit with reckless abandon. Rugby players have to use better technique or they will get hurt, Having played both rugby and football, there is no comparison. Not because one group is "tougher" than another but because you simply could not survive in rugby if you hit people like you do in football. One of the first things us rugby players who grew up playing football have to relearn is how to tackle. It sometimes takes a stung shoulder or a good knock to the head to make some of these guys realize that they aren't playing football.

Of course most people over here think that rugby is this crazy sport that only absolute maniacs play. While it might be kind of nice to have people think that way, it is bad news because many mommies won't let their little boys play rugby.

How do you pick the Rams? Did you start following them when they were good? I can't stand their whining know it all coach.

Go VIKES!!!!

ok everyone fair points, but my opinion will not change on america's culture and sporting values.

Originally posted by USArugger@Aug 12 2005, 01:44 AM
"America is a new country in terms of the world, and it hasnt had time to develop a serious sport with cultural values"

It's nice that in your little world you can judge a sport by how long it has been played. I would have to say that if there was ever a point I was trying to make it is the complete opposite of yours. I don't care what sport anyone likes. It's your own dang business. I happen to like (in this order) American Football, NASCAR, rugby, baseball, and then there are quite a few depending on the time of year.

I actually enjoy playing soccer and watching my daughters play. If I had a son, he would probably only play soccer until he was old enough to play football because the seasons interfere. It is not necessarily anti-soccer it's just the way it is here. If he chose to play soccer instead, good for him. High School rugby does not catch on either because it tends to interfere with the "Almighty Football".

The "pads" comment about football is another old tired cliche. We used to play pick-up games all the time with no pads but it is a completely different game. You can't hit as hard without pads on because you will kill your shoulders and head. Football players can hit with reckless abandon. Rugby players have to use better technique or they will get hurt, Having played both rugby and football, there is no comparison. Not because one group is "tougher" than another but because you simply could not survive in rugby if you hit people like you do in football. One of the first things us rugby players who grew up playing football have to relearn is how to tackle. It sometimes takes a stung shoulder or a good knock to the head to make some of these guys realize that they aren't playing football.

Of course most people over here think that rugby is this crazy sport that only absolute maniacs play. While it might be kind of nice to have people think that way, it is bad news because many mommies won't let their little boys play rugby.
Well in the NFL your not alloud to use your arms hardly at all in the tackle either I believe... Which makes tackling in Gridiron the polar opposite to rugby, while Rugby League lies somewhere in between both (ie: it also needs good technique, but shoulder charges and group tackles are both legal and common place).

As for the football comment... well we all call our respective codes football most of the time. In Australia AFL is called footy (Aussie for Football) everywhere exept NSW and Qld (where half the population live), but in NSW and Qld if you refer to Footy your talking about Rugby League... Union can also be called footy, but league is the dominant code, so people end up just referring to it as rugby at times to avoid confusion.

You'll have to explain the NASCAR thing to me though USArugger... Whats the go with that exactly? Why don't they put winding tracks to make it more interesting? I can't be bothered with any motor sports though to be honest, as it'll always be more machine than man for me...

Actually a true form tackle as it is taught in American football is "hit, wrap, drive, drop". Since you have all the pads on, most people just do hit, drive, drop and forget the "wrap". Using your arms is allowed and actually ensures a better tackle. You will frequently hear coaches yelling "You gotta wrap him up" after a defender delivers a particularly stunning blow but because he doesn't use his arms the runner just bounces off and keeps on running.

NASCAR is just a lot of fun. By the way they do have 2 road tracks and they race at one this weekend. You should tune in.....

It's just like other racing except unlike open wheel they can bump each other (a little bit). The going around in circles puts a premium on how the car's suspension, tire pressure, and other things are set up. It's fun to watch and gives us something to do on Sundays during the NFL off-season. I could go on and on about how we all get together and eat ribs, drink beer, and watch the race. It is more of a Sunday afternoon event. The sport allegedly gets it's roots from guys illegally running alcohol in souped up cars during our dark ages when alcohol was illegal.

Once again, it takes awhile to learn all the terms and strategies, but once you do it is fun to watch.

Originally posted by loratadine@Aug 12 2005, 02:10 AM
ok everyone fair points, but my opinion will not change on america's culture and sporting values.
I can use the word "gridiron" if it prevents confusion.

Loratadine. If you ever see fit to visit the USA, I would be pleased to bring you to the NFL Hall of Fame, A Vikings/Packers December game on the "Frozen tundra of Lambeau field", a Big Ten or Southeastern Conference rivalry college "gridiron" game, a NASCAR night race on a short track, or a college basketball game in Kentucky. We would attend not just the game but the whole weekend experience.

Then you can pass judgement on our culture and sporting values.

Do I understand the insanity that is your football? No. I can't appreciate the culture of it because I have not experienced it. It is extremely boring for me to watch it on TV. I try. I have been on the Underground just before an Arsenal game and I saw the crazy hordes in their scarves and all their gear. I can appreciate the passion. Hopefully I can get to a big-time game sometime. I'm sure I would have a great time like all the Frankfurt Galaxy fans were having at the gridiron games I went to in Germany.

Latest posts