• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hurricanes v Chiefs

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Important game for both teams. Not sure what to expect from the Canes given they have only played one game so far this season!

Both teams have just been named.
Hurricanes: John Schwalger, Andrew Hore (c), Neemia Tialata, James Broadhurst, Jason Eaton, Jack Lam, Serge Lilo, Victor Vito; Chris Eaton, Aaron Cruden, Andre Taylor, Jayden Hayward, Conrad Smith, Julian Savea, Cory Jane
Reserves: Dane Coles, Anthony Perenise, Mark Reddish, Faifili Levave, Tyson Keats, Daniel Kirkpatrick, Charlie Ngatai

Chiefs: Ben May, Aled de Malmanche, Nathan White, Craig Clarke, Isaac Ross, Scott Waldrom, Tanerau Latimer, Liam Messam (c); Brendon Leonard, Stephen Donald, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Tana Umaga, Dwayne Sweeney, Lelia Masaga, Tim Nanai-Williams. Reserves: Sona Taumalolo, Hika Elliot, Romana Graham, Fritz Lee, Taniela Moa, Mike Delany, Jackson Willison.

A few changes for the Canes in the backline, with Hayward and Taylor coming in for the suspended Nonu and the injured Gear. Surprised to see Eaton get the start ahead of Keats at halfback. Eaton is a very dangeous runner, but his passing is often poor, which is the last thing Cruden needs!

A couple of changes in the pack, with Tialata back at tighthead prop, and Serge Lilo starting on the openside (with Lam switching to blindside flanker). The selection of Lam (who is more of an openside flanker) on the blindside is clearly to attempt to combat the dual openside approach that the Chiefs have adopted with Latimer and Waldrom.

The Chiefs have avoided making copious changes (unlike in previous weeks), with the only change in the staring lineup and enforced change, with Nanai-Williams replacing Muliaina. Good to see Fritz Lee has recovered from his injury to claim a place on the bench. I would have liked to see Hika Elliot starting at hooker, but I'm sure he will get plenty of game-time off the bench in any case. Likewise I would have liked to see Kerr-Barlow at least back on the bench (if not starting), but I'm sure he will get plenty of chances this year.

I'm expecting it to be quite an open game, as both teams will want to spread the ball to their dangerous wings. It could be quite a close game, but I'm picking the Canes to win, but maybe 5-10 points.

Last edited:
Canes have no Hosea Gear and no Ma'a Nonu. I pick the Chiefs.

have to pick the chiefs for the simple reason they have mommentum from last weekends win, finally a settled starting lineup and the canes are such an unknown factor.

Good to see almost the same chiefs lineup, Leonard & Donald in particular finally get a chance to string some games together. Leonard in particular needs a few games to warm up each season - he looked good last weekend but we you dont normally see his running game at it's best till he's strung some games together.

Also good to see Cruden & Donald go head to head again. Cruden will want some revenge for when he was played off the park and had his AB's jersey snatched off him by Donald in the ITM cup last year. Donald has been good so far but hasn't hit his straps either so Cruden has a real chance.

Good to see Fritz Lee back, I've been wondering how far away Toby Smith is I hope that injury he got wasn't too bad. All due respect to Taumalolo but he isn't anywhere near the class of toby Smith.

I dont know why wellington feel the need to run Lilo & Lam to combat Latimer & Waldrum I think it's a bad idea. Mainly because Lam & Lilo are not as good as Lat's & Waldrum who are both recent AB's. I really dont think trying to "beat them at their own game" will work. I think they would be better doing the oposite and fielding a bigger loosie trio and trying to expose the chiefs lack of size.

Chiefs may miss mils and his experience but the canes are missing Weepu, Gear & Nonu and I dont think their replacements are the same class as nainai.

The one place the Canes can take an advantage is the tight 5, though Craig Clarke has sured things up a bit for the chiefs. I think the tight 5 and Cruden will be critical to the Canes chances.

Should be a good game and hopefully a second win for the Chiefs.
Frontrow looks good altho Hika needs to get more game time.

Would love the Canes to win it, and especially Jason Eaton, C Smith and Cory Jane to have blinders....

Two pretty soft forward packs go at it. You'd have to back the Chiefs based on how bad the 'canes were last time out. And the Chiefs looked decent last week. Hurricanes have a really bad pack, especially locks and loose forward trio.

Larksea is that the same All Blacks jersey then played himself straight back out of on the tour? Oh yeah thought so. Donald will never wear black again no matter how well he plays for the Chiefs (Which hasn't been very good so far).

I'm a Hurricanes supporter but our team looks crap to be quite honest and the Chiefs are probably gonna kill us. We lack experience in both the backs and forwards where as the Chiefs have plenty of experience throughout the team. I hate to say it but win for the Chiefs 12 and under :(

Canes have no Hosea Gear and no Ma'a Nonu. I pick the Chiefs.

Chiefs have Stephen Donald. I pick the Hurricanes. Checkmate ;)

There's a lot of pessimism here about the Hurricanes chances, but I would be quietly confident if I was a Canes supporter. The Chiefs have hardly been playing great rugby - they lost to the Brumbies (who have subsequently lost to the Rebels!), then lost to the Highlanders. Admittedly they did have a good win against the Rebels last week, but lets be honest, it was only the Rebels!

The Canes should have the advantage up front, as they have a much better front row, and a hooker that can generally throw the ball in straight to the lineout. They have also gone for the traditional two locks, while Chiefs have only selected one lock and three midfield backs, which should give the Canes the advantage in the contact area.... The Chiefs certainly do have the better loose-forward trio, and have the edge in the backline (though the Canes backline could cause a lot of damage even without Nonu and Gear). I haven't checked the odds for this game yet, but I suspect that the Canes superior tight 5 (and their home advantage) will make them slight favourites for the game...

Though the Chiefs are capable of playing like they have no brains, they definitely look the better team on paper - and they have at least a bit of form under their belts.

There's a lot of pessimism here about the Hurricanes chances, but I would be quietly confident if I was a Canes supporter. The Chiefs have hardly been playing great rugby - they lost to the Brumbies (who have subsequently lost to the Rebels!), then lost to the Highlanders. Admittedly they did have a good win against the Rebels last week, but lets be honest, it was only the Rebels!

That's hardly an argument.
The Hurricanes lost their first game against the Highlanders and normally the Crusaders should have won their game against the Cannes.

BTW. Donald is only preforming below sea level when wearing the black shirt.

The game could go either way, but as the Chiefs have more speed I think they will take it.

I think this match will be close, but the Chiefs will take it ... has anybody introduced Conrad Smith and Cory Jane to the rest of the canes backs yet :)

That's hardly an argument.
The Hurricanes lost their first game against the Highlanders and normally the Crusaders should have won their game against the Cannes.

The Chiefs form is an important factor in predicting the outcome of this game. It has been noted several times that the Canes have no form on the board, I was simply pointing out that the Chiefs record isn't really much better. If the Chiefs had had the bye last week, while the Canes had played the Rebels, I get the feeling that Canes supporters would be far more optimistic about this game than the Chiefs supporters! I do think that playing for the last three weeks will be an advantage to the Chiefs as they should have built some good combinations (while the Canes will be rusty), I just think that the Canes home advantage and superior tight-five may give them the edge. In saying that it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Chiefs win, as I expect it will be a close (but possibly high scoring) game.

Also good to see Cruden & Donald go head to head again. Cruden will want some revenge for when he was played off the park and had his AB's jersey snatched off him by Donald in the ITM cup last year. Donald has been good so far but hasn't hit his straps either so Cruden has a real chance.
As far as I remember Donald won the encounter on points but it certainly wasn't the KO your describing. I don't think Donald has to be out of form for Cruden him to outplay him as you are suggesting.

I see the tight 5 as an area the canes can be stronger than the chiefs but they will have to fight for it. Craig Clarke is looking good and Isaac Ross is no sloutch. The only area hore is going to have an advantage over Aled is at the lineout but hore is not the best thrower either, he may be an assett at the breakdown but Aled is stronger in all other areas, I believe outside lineout throwing Aled is the best hooker in NZ or at least on par with mealamu and he's a monster with ball in hand. White is good at scrum time and May is great around the park.

Add to that the fact that Tialata has been down with the flu this week and sat out of some training sessions. Canes really have to show up if they want to make use of any advantage they may have on paper.

As far as I remember Donald won the encounter on points but it certainly wasn't the KO your describing. I don't think Donald has to be out of form for Cruden him to outplay him as you are suggesting.

He's seeing the match through his Chiefs filtered glasses once again. Stephen Donald played for a side which finished second, and has 13 players who are in Super Rugby squads. Aaron Cruden played for a team which finished 13th, and has 3 players playing Super rugby. With this in mind, the final score was 25-27, with Stephen Donald scoring 2 tries, 3 conversions and 2 penalties, while Aaron Cruden scored 1 try, 2 conversions and 2 penalties. Considering the teams each player plays for, I think Aaron Cruden looks better from it.

He's seeing the match through his Chiefs filtered glasses once again. Stephen Donald played for a side which finished second, and has 13 players who are in Super Rugby squads. Aaron Cruden played for a team which finished 13th, and has 3 players playing Super rugby. With this in mind, the final score was 25-27, with Stephen Donald scoring 2 tries, 3 conversions and 2 penalties, while Aaron Cruden scored 1 try, 2 conversions and 2 penalties. Considering the teams each player plays for, I think Aaron Cruden looks better from it.

You forgot to note that the Turbos Forward pack Smashed the Waikato Forward pack all over the park that day yet Waikato Still won. How did they win? Donald had a blinder that's how. Cruden actually had an ok game but he had the ball served to him on a plate most of the game from his forward pack and his kicking for goal wasn't up to scratch. Donald did much better with less quality ball easily the difference between winning and losing.

I'm a Hurricanes supporter but our team looks crap to be quite honest and the Chiefs are probably gonna kill us. We lack experience in both the backs and forwards where as the Chiefs have plenty of experience throughout the team. I hate to say it but win for the Chiefs 12 and under :(
I agree with ya there mate. I'm a Hurricanes fan as well but without Nonu, Weepu & Gear... our most dangerous asset, which is our backline, is watered down and I don't see us coming out on top for this one unfortunately.

Fark, we have Cruden! He sucks even more than Donald! haha

I'm going to this game tonight and although we're likely to get our butts kicked all over town, I'm really looking forward to tonights game. The Canes desperately need to win this, because this is their last home game for a while! Can't be starting a road trip with two losses.

Latest posts