• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Horgan signs contract extension

A

An Tarbh

Horgan Signs to Leinster until 2010

Shane Horgan has agreed a new contract with the Irish Rugby Football Union that will see him continue to play in Ireland with Leinster Rugby until the end of the 2010 season. Horgan has played his entire professional career with his hometown province since making his debut for Leinster against Ulster in 1998 and was also a member of the 2005 British & Irish Lions tour to New Zealand.

He remains a key player for both his province and country and returned from injury prior to this season’s RBS Six Nations Championship to come back into the Ireland team to play in three games in the tournament.

Commenting on the announcement, IRFU Chief Executive Philip Browne said, “We are delighted that Shane has committed his future to playing in Ireland for Leinster. The IRFU will continue with its strategy of keeping as many of our leading players within our provincial structures in Ireland.

"As the environment of professional rugby changes, the need for Irish Rugby to have control of our player’s development and well being is becoming increasingly important. This model remains the determined strategy of the IRFU and has served us well in the past and still remains our best course for the future.â€

Leinster Chief Executive Mick Dawson added: “Since making his senior debut for the province a little under 10 years ago, Shane has gone from strength to strength culminating in selection for the British & Irish Lions tour to New Zealand in 2005. Shane has been a consistent force in the backline, be it in the blue of Leinster or indeed the green of Ireland.

"I am sure that I speak on behalf of the entire Leinster support when I say how delighted we are that he has followed the likes of Brian O’Driscoll and Gordon D’Arcy in re-signing for the province for the coming years.â€

Commenting on today’s announcement, Leinster Coach Michael Cheika said: “Shane has performed at a consistently high level for club and country over the years and, speaking from personal experience, he has been an integral part of the Leinster team in my time as coach.

"His try-scoring ratio of roughly one every two and a half games tells only part of Shane’s value to the squad. He has a knack of scoring important tries in key games, a point illustrated by his contribution to the victories at home to the Leicester Tigers and away to the Ospreys, Munster and more recently, Connacht. I am confident that his best years are ahead of him.

"As one of the squad leaders he embodies heart, drive and skill and today’s announcement gives the entire squad a timely boost ahead of an important few weeks for Leinster in the Magners League.â€

Shane Horgan said, “Leinster has been a happy home for me throughout my career. While I have had some incredible memories playing in the blue jersey, the desire for me to win further honours at Leinster was the deciding factor for me to agree my contract extension.

"The decision of Michael (Cheika) to remain with Leinster and the return of Alan Gaffney along with Kurt McQuilkin is an indication of how Leinster wants to continue to build for the future and I am delighted to remain a part of that.â€

From - Leinster Rugby

So not surprising to see this deal done especially with the rejigging in the management team giving the team something to prove yet again and an added motivation. No doubt we'll hear others in the next few days like Horan and O'Callaghan to name a couple.

A contract until summer 2010 will bring Horgan up to his 32nd birthday. It's a good deal for Leinster and Ireland since Horgan will probably begin a steep decline from that point on. It also affords the likes of Vasya Artemiev, Fionn Carr and Felix Jones a couple of years to develop into starting wingers for their province; assuming they aren't poached by other provinces (I feel Carr and Jones may be).

A contract until summer 2010 will bring Horgan up to his 32nd birthday. It's a good deal for Leinster and Ireland since Horgan will probably begin a steep decline from that point on. It also affords the likes of Vasya Artemiev, Fionn Carr and Felix Jones a couple of years to develop into starting wingers for their province; assuming they aren't poached by other provinces (I feel Carr and Jones may be).
[/b]

What's the story with Vas then, is he involved in the underage setup or what, he is the same age as Fitzgerald, so I thought we'd be hearing more by now.

What's the story with Vas then, is he involved in the underage setup or what, he is the same age as Fitzgerald, so I thought we'd be hearing more by now. [/b]
He's starting regularly with UCD in the AIL. He won't be Irish qualified for another year (I think) since going to school in Blackrock while living in Russia during the holidays meant that he hsn't served the 3 years residency rule.

<div class='quotemain'>What's the story with Vas then, is he involved in the underage setup or what, he is the same age as Fitzgerald, so I thought we'd be hearing more by now. [/b]
He's starting regularly with UCD in the AIL. He won't be Irish qualified for another year (I think) since going to school in Blackrock while living in Russia during the holidays meant that he hsn't served the 3 years residency rule.
[/b][/quote]

How come he was allowed to play for the under-19s then?

Happy to see Horgan back with Ireland, even though he wimped on a tackle for England's last try. Close to greatness, if only things had gone to plan the last few years.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>What's the story with Vas then, is he involved in the underage setup or what, he is the same age as Fitzgerald, so I thought we'd be hearing more by now. [/b]
[/b][/quote]

How come he was allowed to play for the under-19s then? [/b][/quote]
Are you sure he played u19? I know that he didn't go to the World Cup in Dubai in 2006 because he was deemed ineligible.

I'm almost certain he played Ireland schools though until somebody (either in the iRB or IRFU) intervened saying he wasn't eligible on a technicality.

EDIT - he did play for Irish schools in 2004 against an Ireland u19 selection
Link: http://www.munsterrugby.ie/750_1741.php

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b][/quote]

How come he was allowed to play for the under-19s then? [/b][/quote]
Are you sure he played u19? I know that he didn't go to the World Cup in Dubai in 2006 because he was deemed ineligible.

I'm almost certain he played Ireland schools though until somebody (either in the iRB or IRFU) intervened saying he wasn't eligible on a technicality.

EDIT - he did play for Irish schools in 2004 against an Ireland u19 selection
Link: http://www.munsterrugby.ie/750_1741.php
[/b][/quote]

He also played for the Ireland University side against England last year, but he did play for the under-19s in 2006, here's the link - http://www.irishrugby.ie/6855_5353.php

He also played for the Ireland University side against England last year, but he did play for the under-19s in 2006, here's the link - http://www.irishrugby.ie/6855_5353.php[/b]

I didn't realise that he had played u19 so I stand corrected. I noticed that article was from January 2006 though. Maybe the eligibility issue only emerged when the World Cup came around since it was an iRB sanctioned event? The u19 international they speak of was Australia which was a friendly rather than a competitive game so that could be why issues didn't arise. I'll do some more digging and see what I can find.

As far as I'm aware (though again I could be wrong) to play Ireland Schools or University, you don't actually have to be Irish, merely you have to go the school/college here.

Latest posts