• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Guinness Pro14 - Round 6 - A New Hope

Jesus well it's a win. Hope Hanrahan is ok because we won't progress through that group with Bleyndaal at ten based on his performances since he came back from his bad injury. The fella has had a rough time of it, but he's not capable of taking a team to the top.
Mistakes everywhere. We were pretty poor, but good heavens Ulster were diabolical. Their line out was more often than not crooked. The amount of handling errors was quite something. They really only got field position from solid defence winning penalties and scrum penalties. They didn't do anything with the ball. Both sides were better when left to defend in the middle of the field.
Great try from Conway. Rory Scannel was quite good, his brother not so much. Tough to pick out other standouts. JJ was good while he was on. Cooney was keeping Ulster in it from their side.
Also does anyone have any idea what BJ Botha is doing in Ireland to commentate? Legend of a man.
Edit: I know I'm coming off negative, but to be fair at least neither team is Connacht, lol.

Jesus well it's a win. Hope Hanrahan is ok because we won't progress through that group with Bleyndaal at ten based on his performances since he came back from his bad injury. The fella has had a rough time of it, but he's not capable of taking a team to the top.
Mistakes everywhere. We were pretty poor, but good heavens Ulster were diabolical. Their line out was more often than not crooked. The amount of handling errors was quite something. They really only got field position from solid defence winning penalties and scrum penalties. They didn't do anything with the ball. Both sides were better when left to defend in the middle of the field.
Great try from Conway. Rory Scannel was quite good, his brother not so much. Tough to pick out other standouts. JJ was good while he was on. Cooney was keeping Ulster in it from their side.
Also does anyone have any idea what BJ Botha is doing in Ireland to commentate? Legend of a man.
Edit: I know I'm coming off negative, but to be fair at least neither team is Connacht, lol.
BJ lives in Limerick. Never left permanent

I wouldn't be throwing the toys out just yet. It's obvious we're trying a lot of new attacking options. I'd agree that Tyler's gone back a good bit tho. Jj won't make the ospreys and I think unless we get a bp win we're bunched.

Given rowntree is only in a week the less said about the scrum etc the better. Plenty of things to work on for the week.

I was happy to see that Glasgow took care of Zebre rather easily 31-7. This improves their record to 3-3.

Let's Go Warriors!

It's now full on panic stations for Ospreys surely? They did have a difficult start to the season, however no disrespect to the Kings but you shouldn't be getting turned over at home. I don't think you can even really blame the coaching too much, I know they have injuries and world cup call ups etc but the team just isn't good enough. It's crazy to think that they used to be called the galaticos of rugby. Just to remind everyone they are in a Champions Cup group with Munster, Racing and Saracens, if they continue in the same form it's going to be a bloodbath. One positive though is I think we can finally say Dragons aren't the worse Welsh team. :p

Just to remind everyone they are in a Champions Cup group with Munster, Racing and Saracens, if they continue in the same form it's going to be a bloodbath. One positive though is I think we can finally say Dragons aren't the worse Welsh team. :p

Could they concede over a hundred in a match before the season is out?

Could they concede over a hundred in a match before the season is out?

With the Welsh internationals back, it will bolster the pack a bit, they had 3 2nd rows away, Tipruic and Nicky Smith. Backs wise Watkin will be a big boost in the centre and even an out of form North will be am improvement on what they have at the moment. The worrying thing is that not too many Ospreys were even away at the world cup, defensive wise they should improve but 9+10 simply haven't been good enough. It says a lot when Aled Davies will be a massive step up in 9 quality, with Anscombe out, 10 is looking seriously bleak.

Comic cuts for Benetton conceding their first try. Worth hunting that one down for a giggle, although their winger was wrestled to the ground without the ball. A complete pisser to lose that on the last kick.

I still cant rule out the Cheetahs, they could have come away from this tour with a load of points but for their indiscipline. Hats off to the Kings to get a result so soon with a new coach and a big turnover of players. Zebre looked destined to be the worst side by some distance. Bradley made a great impression when he started coaching them but it has been very ordinary for a long time now.

Starts at 0.18

Genuinely might be the worst try I've ever seen a pro team concede. Must have had 3 chances to deal with it, ended with Haywood having a casual jog while Evans put it down.

It's now full on panic stations for Ospreys surely? They did have a difficult start to the season, however no disrespect to the Kings but you shouldn't be getting turned over at home. I don't think you can even really blame the coaching too much, I know they have injuries and world cup call ups etc but the team just isn't good enough. It's crazy to think that they used to be called the galaticos of rugby. Just to remind everyone they are in a Champions Cup group with Munster, Racing and Saracens, if they continue in the same form it's going to be a bloodbath. One positive though is I think we can finally say Dragons aren't the worse Welsh team. :p

The Ospreys squad is seriously lacking, but the coaches aren't up to it either! When Clarke moved to the Ospreys as an assistant coach I remember the Irish guys on here basically saying good riddance. And now he's the bloody head coach!

Which youngsters have genuinely emerged during Clerke's time as head honcho? He's wholly relient on the top players he inherited. Doesn't help when he sends a bunch of rookies to Dublin etc. to take an absolute pasting, not the way to develop players!

They are a shambles and need a clear-out at the top. Clarke and Millward first to go.

The Ospreys squad is seriously lacking, but the coaches aren't up to it either! When Clarke moved to the Ospreys as an assistant coach I remember the Irish guys on here basically saying good riddance. And now he's the bloody head coach!

Which youngsters have genuinely emerged during Clerke's time as head honcho? He's wholly relient on the top players he inherited. Doesn't help when he sends a bunch of rookies to Dublin etc. to take an absolute pasting, not the way to develop players!

They are a shambles and need a clear-out at the top. Clarke and Millward first to go.

I don't think he's a great coach but even the best coach in the world would struggle to get anything out of the players that Ospreys have available at the moment. I do agree that the lack of young players making the step up for the Ospreys is worrying. Cai Evans is getting thrown in a FB, which I know he has played at junior level, but is struggling there at the moment. Considering he is only 19, I think Thomas-Wheeler has done pretty well in a back line that's struggling, hoping he can kick on a bit when the internationals are back, although I still see Ospreys struggling.

Finally watched the Blues game last night. I was impressed with the Cheetahs keeping in the fight after that completely stupid red card. I really hope that Evans can sure up his defensive and kicking game as he is one of my favourite players to watch on the ball, whether he can take that form in test level is still a doubt for me. Good to see Seb Davies thrive in an open running game, seemed like a shoe in for Wales at 2nd row a few years ago but to be fair the way Wales played didn't really suit his game and I understand why he dropped down the order. With the open running game that Privac will bring, he could be back in with a shout there.

Big loss for the Scarlets, Patchell has been confirmed as being out for 3 months and Jon Davies 6 months!

Just to expand on this a little. If we look at the Scarlets who have been the most successful Welsh region recently, they have brought through the likes of Josh Macleod, Kieron Hardy, Dan Jones and Ryan Conbeer over the past couple of seasons who have been the core of their successful start this season whilst their international contingent have been away.

Which players at the Ospreys have improved over the last couple of seasons? I can only think of one in Owen Waktin. However which players have regressed? Sam Davies, Keelan Giles (I know his injury didn't help), Lloyd Ashley, George North (was struggling prior to his move though), James King, Nicky Smith etc. Despite being passed his best, James Hook has been well below where you'd expect as well. Starts to explain their decline imo.

Latest posts