• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Final Predictions

Who do you think will be the four semifinalists?

• Blues

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brumbies

• Bulls

• Cheetahs

• Chiefs

• Crusaders

• Highlanders

• Hurricanes

• Lions

• Reds

• Sharks

• Stormers

• Waratahs

• Western Force

• Total voters
C

ChiefsFan

Just a little thread to see where you think everyone will stand at the end of the year, before the competition starts. Maybe after 2 weeks and 6 weeks I may start a new thread for more predictions, to see how much they've chanhged.

1 Hurricanes
2 Sharks
3 Chiefs
4 Crusaders
5 Stormers
6 Blues
7 Waratahs
8 Bulls
9 Brumbies
10 Highlanders
11 Reds
12 Lions
13 Western Force
14 Cheetahs

Both Chiefs and Crusaders to win their semifinals, leading to a great match in Hamilton with Chiefs taking it out to claim their first S14 Championship.

1. Hurricanes
2. Sharks
3. Blues
4. Brumbies
5. Crusaders
6. Chiefs
7. Stormers
8. Waratahs
9. Bulls
10. Reds
11. Western Force
12. Highlanders
13. Cheetahs
14. Lions

This is of course a rough prediction...

Esentially, I think the top 4 spot will be fought out by the Canes, Blues, Sharks, Crusaders and Brumbies (as long as they don't suffer mass injuries again... in which case they'll finish anywhere between 5th - 7th place)...

The Tahs, Bulls and Chiefs will just not be good enough and will finish just outside the top 4 or around the middle of the table...

The Reds and Western Force will finish in their usual spots around the middle-bottom of the table... the Force will once again start off the season rather strongly and drift off... if Giteau doesn't play they're doomed...

The Highlanders, Cheetahs and Lions will once again battle it out for the wooden spoon...

Ok, here we go. Let the controversy commence.

1. Sharks - Quality across the park with several gamebreakers. Francois Steyn and Ruan Pienaar are the biggest threats to their success if they continue their prima donna routines.
2. Brumbies - Actually have a decent forward pack this year and some good depth all over. Could be very dangerous if Mortlock and AAC gel in the centres. Need either Holmes or Phibbs to really step up along with Lealiifano.
3. Crusaders - Lost several All Blacks, but still a force to be reckoned with. Not as much depth in the forwards now though.
4. Force - Real quality from number 4 back, as well as some reasonable depth. Giteau's very important but I don't think they'll go completely off the rails if they lose him. Both Daruda and O'Connor are better than a fair few other 10's going around the S14. The front row is still a big concern though.
5. Waratahs - One of the most exciting backlines in the competition, but a very brittle forward pack. Powerful as it stands right now but a couple of key injuries and they are rooted.
6. Hurricanes - The eternal enigma. They have some great players but still lack a real quality 10. Weepu looks like their current best option, which must be a little worrying to their fans. Also, the backrow isn't the greatest, despite So'oialo.
7. Stormers - Always dangerous, and one of the few South African teams than actually tours well.
8. Blues - Like the Hurricanes the Blues have some serious weapons, but lack a quality 10. Also, a couple of injuries could screw their whole season.
9. Bulls - Last year they were occasionally dangerous but often woeful and always lacking discipline. Expecting much of the same.
10. Reds - Plenty of potential but still very vulnerable to key injuries and its a rule of thumb with the Reds that they will play 30% worse than they should on paper. Will find it especially hard going in the early weeks until Horwill returns.
11. Chiefs - Lots of strike weapons but prone to brain explosions and also lacking a really solid tight five. Key injuries in the forwards will see them get very little ball.
12. Cheetahs - Lost some good players since last year and even then they were fairly harmless.
13. Highlanders - The mullet brigade look incredibly threatening when they line up for the kick off but can't seem to gel as a team. Their inside backs are a real problem.
14. Lions - Toothless last year and will probably struggle again.

I'm quite positive that the Lions are going to be a much different side this year, infact I'd reckon a mid table finish isn't beyond them, They've all been together for a while now and finally have some injury problems sorted out with Fourie back as well.

I'd probably put the lineup this way.

1. Sharks ( sounds allmost weird saying it, but for a change a South African side really does seem like the best team in the entire comp, if they play like we know they can, they should finally get a Super 14 trophy to accompany their brand new Currie cup.)
2. Hurricanes (The NZ team I would really want to watch out for this year, I have a feeling they're either going to be this years' Crusaders, or not feature nearly as well as people think, my money is on the former though)
3. Stormers (Last year we had an excellent campaign, if we do it again there's no reason we can't get into the semis, even a possible final wouldn't be off the cards, let's just hope injuries stay away from Chavanga and JD Moller this time)
4. Chiefs (for some reason I really think a team as good as these guys have to make it up here sometime, kinda remind me of a New Zealand version of the Stormers, awesome team that doesn't always deliver in the Super 14)
5. Brumbies \
6. Waratahs --- all in no particular order
7. Crusaders /
8. Bulls
9. Blues
10. Force
11. Lions
12. Reds
13. Cheetahs
14. Highlanders

The Bulls possibly to end up in a higher position, but anything below 8 or 9 I don't know.

PFFT

1. Reds
2. Western Force
3. Brumbies
4.Waratahs
5.Stormers
6.Bulls
7.sharks
8.Lions
9.Cheetahs
10.Highlanders
11.Blues
12.Chiefs
13.Hurricanes
14.Crusaders

That is 100% the final result.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Feb 10 2009, 04:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
PFFT

1. Reds
2. Western Force
3. Brumbies
4.Waratahs
5.Stormers
6.Bulls
7.sharks
8.Lions
9.Cheetahs
10.Highlanders
11.Blues
12.Chiefs
13.Hurricanes
14.Crusaders

That is 100% the final result.[/b]

I 100% agree :D No question!

1. Sharks- So much experience, so much youth, so much experienced youth! Been close as hell for a few years now and they are definately a team in form with a lot of depth and many game-breakers

2. Crusaders- Canterbury is successful because of its development systems and support structures, not Robbie Deans as the Wallabies may now know.A monkey could probably quite competently coach the crusaders and still come in the top four. Inside word from a teacher of mine (who coached Canterbury age group sides where the likes of Brett, Ellis etc etc etc played) is that R. Deans is "as thick as pig ****", though that was just his opinion.

3. Hurricanes

4. Stormers- Good solid team with solid forwards and some classy backs. Showing signs of actually delivering performances worthy of the no. springboks they have.

5. Western Force
6. Bulls
7. Chiefs
8. Blues
10. Brumbies
11. Waratahs
12. Lions
13. Highlanders
14. Reds

( In hindsight Im not actually too sure about the hurricanes this year but im too damn lazy to shuffle the teams around)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Feb 10 2009, 12:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
4. Stormers- Good solid team with solid forwards and some classy backs. Showing signs of actually delivering performances worthy of the no. springboks they have.[/b]

Stormers and solid forwards in the same sentence, I think not!

You forgot about the Cheetahs.

Yea the Stormers front row is crap, it was really the only reason we missed the playoffs last year. Mujati is horribly overated whilst Moller is underated, as soon as he got injured against the Canes i think the Stormers never really looked the same.

I will go for..

1-Chiefs
2-Stormers
3-Crusaders
4-Hurricanes
5-Sharks
6-Waratahs
7-Force, need a decent pack though
8-Blues
9-Brumbies
10-Bulls
11-Lions