• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Felipe Contepomi says goodbye to professional rugby.

Superalexmarket

Bench Player
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Duendes
When next Saturday end the match between Stade Francais and Biarritz , will also the end of the professional career of one of the best Argentine rugby players of all time.
Still there is a little chance to participate with the Pumas in the R.C., but the retirement decision is taken.
GRACIAS Felipe por todo!

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope he comes to Dublin for the final and gets to say goodbye here. Leinster was his club and I'd love to give him a sendoff. (Granted I get tickets)

An absolutely brilliant player and a lot of Leinster's success can be put down to him.

Why was he left out of ERC squad anyway?

Never liked him as a person but respected him as a player and he was a good player at 10 and 12. Didn't he have a brother that played too with national team?

Easy to forget that Leinster played some superb rugby in the mid 2000's when Munster were on top. Just Leinster didn't have a good enough pack apart from O'Kelly to win the big tournament. But just watch this, Contepomi orchestrated some absolutely superb backs play with Leinster. Shows great hands and flat passing in both these. Add to that he was pretty strong in defence as well for them.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LzgZyS09wRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe> <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XVpt3sOJdxQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe> <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BmLOKz5QUns" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Never liked him as a person but respected him as a player and he was a good player at 10 and 12. Didn't he have a brother that played too with national team?

Why did you dislike him as a person? He's a big fiery competitor on the field, but off it he is very intelligent and articulate, and a nice guy by all accounts from those I know who have met him.

big shame always thought he was a big headstrong player, shame he didn't get more chances with a bigger team than Argentina would scored a lot more than he did say if he was Scottish or even irish...

big shame always thought he was a big headstrong player, shame he didn't get more chances with a bigger team than Argentina would scored a lot more than he did say if he was Scottish or even irish...

What? If he was Scottish? He scored quite a few times with Argentina as well, such as this 45 metre individual IRB try of the year nominee.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vfwWgrWNpPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

In fairness he always did wear heart on sleeve for Argentina and achieved alot of good days with them. Was a superb force with Leinster but would they have won HEC with him at 10 I don't know. But think Argentina won't realise the size of the gap he leaves until they meet up again alot of experience gone

In fairness he always did wear heart on sleeve for Argentina and achieved alot of good days with them. Was a superb force with Leinster but would they have won HEC with him at 10 I don't know. But think Argentina won't realise the size of the gap he leaves until they meet up again alot of experience gone

Yes, we'd have won it in '09 with him, he was so determined to win it that year and was unlucky with his injury. He got a much deserved medal that year.

They were well on their way to winning the semi final vs Munster with him. Can't comment about the final though, Sexton was great that day, I would back Contepomi but we'll never know for sure as it would have been a different game.

Yes, we'd have won it in '09 with him, he was so determined to win it that year and was unlucky with his injury. He got a much deserved medal that year.
As I say I not saying ye wouldn't but really feel Sexton coming on sparked that self confidence and cockiness that ye needed, maybe Rocky Elsom would've been factor too either way I agree Contepomi deserved a medal.

Why was he left out of ERC squad anyway?

Yes, Manuel Contepomi, they played together in the RWC 07.
strong_CONTEMOPI_strong_Manuel_Felipe.jpg

He wasn't the Man of Steel but he could stop a cargo train.

As I say I not saying ye wouldn't but really feel Sexton coming on sparked that self confidence and cockiness that ye needed, maybe Rocky Elsom would've been factor too either way I agree Contepomi deserved a medal.

Fair enough, I agree with Duck I think we would have won that game either way. I remember being there and whether I was being naive or not I can't remember thinking Leinster could lose this despite it being a close match.

Yes, Manuel Contepomi, they played together in the RWC 07.
strong_CONTEMOPI_strong_Manuel_Felipe.jpg

He wasn't the Man of Steel but he could stop a cargo train.

Cheers for that I knew I could remember lol he was a 13 wasn't it.
Always used to love watching the Argies back then in 07 even at the expense of Ireland I had to admire they had a rugged wise pack and players that were exciting and could produce anything on their day it was just you never knew when they'd turn up

What? If he was Scottish? He scored quite a few times with Argentina as well, such as this 45 metre individual IRB try of the year nominee.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vfwWgrWNpPY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>
I was talking about regular game time not so much actually scoring, I mean he only played 79 test in 14 years playing with the pumas if he was goal kicking with a scottish team or and irish team I'd say he would have had well over a hundred caps and maybe 1000 points... He didn't really dip at any point either like O'Gara and O'Gara made his international debut 2 years after Contepomi made his and he got over hundred caps and over 1000 points... In a different life maybe although he would have had to play better than Humps and O'Gara which is no easy task

Fair enough, I agree with Duck I think we would have won that game either way. I remember being there and whether I was being naive or not I can't remember thinking Leinster could lose this despite it being a close match.
True but it still an unanswerable question as in Munster were the team Contepomi had his problems performing against and things only really picked up after Sexton came on. Contepomi left game though after only a few mins and when he was on scores were level. I accept he left early in game and we possibly would've exploded anyway it just something that we will never know

I was talking about regular game time not so much actually scoring, I mean he only played 79 test in 14 years playing with the pumas if he was goal kicking with a scottish team or and irish team I'd say he would have had well over a hundred caps and maybe 1000 points... He didn't really dip at any point either like O'Gara and O'Gara made his international debut 2 years after Contepomi made his and he got over hundred caps and over 1000 points... In a different life maybe although he would have had to play better than Humps and O'Gara which is no easy task

I understand now. Yes Argentine players don't tend to get so many caps. Albacete has been in the team an age yet only got 52 caps, Ledesma got 84 caps over a 15 year international career, other nations would be well over 100 with that length of career.

Contepomi is still performing very well at the top level. He still has great vision, passing and skills.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pzVoO5K-f38" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""> <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ew5LpqKs9TA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

True but it still an unanswerable question as in Munster were the team Contepomi had his problems performing against and things only really picked up after Sexton came on. Contepomi left game though after only a few mins and when he was on scores were level. I accept he left early in game and we possibly would've exploded anyway it just something that we will never know

If your referring to that Munster match in 09, Leinster were well on the way to winning. They were winning 12-6 when Contepomi went off, and Contepomi was playing well, Munster just weren't at the races like they were against the Ospreys in that game. The pack just weren't their usual selves and their fly half had a shocker.

Yes, Manuel Contepomi, they played together in the RWC 07

The Contepomi twins combining here ...

Manuel was not nearly as skilled as his twin, but was a strong tackler as a centre so had his uses. Also played full back at the start of his career.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_A3Qdd_oSAw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

I understand now. Yes Argentine players don't tend to get so many caps. Albacete has been in the team an age yet only got 52 caps, Ledesma got 84 caps over a 15 year international career, other nations would be well over 100 with that length of career.

Thats because Argentina don't had a regular annual tournament to play, like the 6N or the 3N. Now with the RC this will change.

To be fair, the reason Argentines play for so long is probably partially BECAUSE they don't play so many games in each year. They get a lot more breaks during the year, so they have greater lengths of time to recover.

Latest posts