• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

F***ing Ospreys...

R

RC

So a last minute conversion from - i have to admit - a good try, saved us from an absolutley humiliating defeat.
Instead we walked away, heads held high with our humiliating victory.
How can a team so full of 1st class internationals fail to perform even the most basic of skills on the rugby field?
Time and time again Ospreys have done this, however, call me naive but i thought this season was going to be different. I thought maybe my club had actually stepped into the professional era. 13 Ospreys are starting internationals, they've taken a grand slam (allbeit against poor times but still...) and performed consistently at home to give them the confidence.
I'm starting to think the confidence encouraged a sense of complacency and when they found that they hadn't scored 2 tries within the space of 10 minutes against Harlequins on Sunday (like they did in the previous game against a poor Ulster) then they instantly became eratic school boys. They started playing akin to the way Wales played prior to 2008's grand slam.
Very poor basics, the ball was going laterally all over the place and instead of understanding that they couldn't score from their own 22 and maybe playing a territory game would be a sensible thing to do, they instead decided to continue running into brick walls, not passing the gain line and kicking the ball straight down the throat of Harlequins 5th team.
This just reinforced my worries that Hook doesn't know how to command the field. When he has a commanding scrum half next to him (justin marshall, mike phillips...hell, even dwayne peel!) he is confident in his game because if things go wrong he doesn't have to be the one to make the hard decision and slow everything down. He always wants to make that try scoring pass/break. Granted he pulled off 2 great inside passes which resulted in 2 great tries, but he also failed to do what was needed from him and take control of the game. Because of this Harlequins put on lots of pressure (scored a few tries) and panicked a very amateurish-looking ospreys side into being ill-disciplined. In result we conceded lots of penalties, points, a yellow card and our image of professionalism.

I have to ask, and i hate to state the obvious, but does anyone else feel we're missing a quality coach who can do the horrible task whipping these boys into the tournament-winning team that they have the potential to be?

Sit down if you're a tired Ospreys fan, we already see you leaving the Liberty Stadium...i mean, it can't stay this bad can it? Even if the rugby is awful we have at least got a half decent orchestra seated in the Stadium of Deathly Silence.
Allegedly, Mike Cuddy was on tv saying he was worried/not happy about low attendance numbers. Can you blame them? I'm not sure how many of us were there on sunday (7,000 approx?) but i can bet each and every one of us wished we'd watched that game on tv in the comfort of our own homes once the match had ended.

/RANT.

It's something you'd expect Hook to have, having a relatively high level of international experience and all. The ability to slow it down really takes the game away from the opposition.
At least he's got the mental fortitude, slotting that conversion straight down the middle (and I mean STRAIGHT. Could not have gone closer to bisecting the poles) after having an ordinary day with the boot otherwise showed that.
I think you're right on the professionalism count. Many of the teams are searching for that "x-factor" to have everything crisp and clean when it comes off. Sometimes having a bunch of professionals together in the one team may not result in that.

To be fair, Harlequins were punished for doing the incredibly stupid thing of suddenly keeping it tight and trying to waste time....with twelve minutes to go?!?!

I mean, yeah, if theres about three to five minutes left on the clock then keeping it tight and rumbling through the phases is the smart thing to do but if the 'Quin's pack thought that they'd be able to rumble around the pitch for the best part of quarter of an hour and waste all that time, especially in this age of ever tighter, almost pedantic refereeing at the breakdown, then they're both stupid and nuts.

In the end when the Hairsprays brought sanity to this period of madness and scored, I applauded as idiocy like that must be punished.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Oct 6 2008, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
How can a team so full of 1st class internationals fail to perform even the most basic of skills on the rugby field?[/b]
I ask myself the same question whenver I see Sale not winning every game by 20+ points. <_< The problem can only lie with the coaches in both cases. Watch the Wales team in the AI's be made up of mainly Ospreys and I bet we'll see a major difference in class of play between Wales and the Ospreys. Sure, you expect that difference between an international and club side, but when the class is there, I don't see how the O's haven't won every game they've had so far. What sums them up is:
Wales Grand Slam ==> 19 - 10 loss against Saracens after beating them 30 - 3 the preceding week ==> EDF Final winners ==> Lose to Edinburgh at home.

The consistency, under this coach and under Lyn Jones, isn't there, wasn't there, and won't be until they bring in a half-decent coach.

Also, welcome back. >_>

It wasn't even a full strength Harlequins team was it? Weren't they missing/resting the likes of Care, Strettle, Monye etc? Would have been quite a victory considering the constant hype surrounding the Ospreys.

Isn't the answer for their poor form because they are Welsh internationals, I thought that was obvious. :lol:

Oh, amazing wit there. :rolleyes:

When your country decides not to concede 50 points in a championship-winning match, get back to me. :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Isn't the answer for their poor form because they are Welsh internationals, I thought that was obvious.[/b]

Ooh nah-ah, you didn't!

EDIT:
When your country decides not to concede 50 points in a championship-winning match, get back to me.[/b]

Oooi oi, nice one!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 6 2008, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Isn't the answer for their poor form because they are Welsh internationals, I thought that was obvious.[/b]

Ooh nah-ah, you didn't!

EDIT:
When your country decides not to concede 50 points in a championship-winning match, get back to me.[/b]

Oooi oi, nice one!
[/b][/quote]

:lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SaintsFan_Schweinsteiger_Webby @ Oct 6 2008, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It wasn't even a full strength Harlequins team was it? Weren't they missing/resting the likes of Care, Strettle, Monye etc? Would have been quite a victory considering the constant hype surrounding the Ospreys.[/b]

The stupid thing is, bet the O's would have won convincingly if it was against Harlequins first team,. Just the way they are, loosing to **** teams for no reason atall. I'm sure they just get complacent and as Jiffy said, "start panicking when they haven't scored two tries in the first 10min". Sooo irritating :ranting:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 7 2008, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

When your country decides not to concede 50 points in a championship-winning match, get back to me. :p[/b]
When did we do that? :huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Haysie @ Oct 7 2008, 01:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Oct 7 2008, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When your country decides not to concede 50 points in a championship-winning match, get back to me. :p[/b]
When did we do that? :huh:
[/b][/quote]
South Africa 53 - Australia 8
I understand you would've won the Tri Nations if you'd won the game (with a B-point, I think...)

We're always the same the week before a crunch game. Take three seasons ago; we beat Borders by 2 points at home with Stade waiting for us next week and everyone's pwping themselves. Then we go and beat Stade. There are numerous other examples of this and it really does wazz me off. I expect us to put in a really good showing this Sunday at Welford Road.
(If we don't, don't bother to contact me because I'll be on a plane to Mexico, never to return).

It's all about complacency imo. Wales often suffer from the same thing i.e. Fiji many a time. Once they have had that kick up the backside, they generally put in a much better performance. As I said before, the O's start panicking, chucking the ball round every time they get it if they haven't scored a couple of tries straight away, wheras against better opposition they are happy to keep building untill the try has been created.

Basically, they try too hard instead of letting it come naturally! As with Wales, The O's need a Mr Gatland to keep their feet on the ground and grind into them that they need to go forward before going wide, instead of a Mr Holley stating the O's play a unique brand of running rugby, no matter the opposition. Everyone else calls it headless chicken Holley!

Absolutely ridiculous, demoralisng, well done ospreys but i feel for harlequins!
almost as bad as bath tolouse!
that was shocking b bath (5 seconds left and the go and lose the ball)

The problem is that the ospreys are from neath and swansea, just a generally crappy area. I'd also like to point out that the blues team should all top themselves for loosing to this shambles of a team (and having an identically humiliating victory against 2nd string sale)

Wow, making a good name for yourself already.
Swansea and Neath generally crappy areas? Even if that was true what would that have to do with the rugby?

It has a psychological impact on the players (and the smell coming off port talbot cant help either)

Latest posts