• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Explanation of PD

BeeJay

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
Hello all. I'm of the old school, (the very old school!!) I love to watch the 6 Nations on the TV & obviously the world cup later this year, All the rules? I haven't a clue, but just to watch the games is an absolute must. My late wife was as avid as I am, the crunching tackles, discipline, (soccer players feign injury to gain advantage & chase the ref round the park if a decision doesn't go their way,) respect after the game etc, etc, etc. But to my question. How did the PD work in this years games? Ireland, F-119 A-56 PD-63. England, F-154 A-97 PD-57. So an Ireland win on a PD of 6. But how is the PD arrived at for the points totals, for & against in the Ireland & England games :( I've trawled the forums before posting this, hoping to find an answer & thought I'd have a chance with Tony Manx's thread on "PD" but alas, I'm no wiser.

Thanks in anticipation, (be gentle)

BeeJay

Total points scored by Ireland across their 5 games, and total points scored against them.

Same with the rest.

The Ireland vs England game is just the same, points scored for and against. It's more significant in some ways, since it's a bit of a double swing (every one against you is also one for them), but it doesn't have any special meaning.

The Ireland vs England game is just the same, points scored for and against. It's more significant in some ways, since it's a bit of a double swing (every one against you is also one for them), but it doesn't have any special meaning.

Speaking of which, is there any footage online of the Jack Nowell try that wasn't? The TV in my local was turned off on the final whistle, so I didn't get a chance to watch the replays. On such small margins, the Six Nations is won!

Welcome BeeJay. You're far from alone in not understanding all of the rules - you're just more self aware than most!

Thanks RedruthRFC for the welcome, still not understanding how the PD was arrived at for the final tables, despite Raggs reply.

Well England scored 154 points and conceded 97 meaning that they had a difference of 57 points. Italy on the other hand scored 62 points, but conceded 182 meaning that they had a difference of -120 points.

The table at the top of the page is wrong in PF and PA columns but here's how to calculate it below and a correct table http://www.englandrugby.com/fixtures-and-results/competitions/rbs-6-nations/

England 55 - 35 France
England 25 - 13 Scotland
England 9 - 19 Ireland
England 47 - 17 Italy
England 21 - 16 Wales

England total points for = 55 + 25 + 9 + 47 + 21 = 157
England total point against = 35 + 13 + 19 +17 +16 =100
Points difference = 157 - 100 = 57

Thanks ncurd, sorted, bit slow on the up-take these days. (Senior moment & all that);)

Latest posts