• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

End of the Saint-André era

FFr will make a political appointment i.e get a guy they like and get on well with. That rules out Galthié who is a great technician but too much of a maverick for the parisians. Pelous and Ibanez have a better chance if they're interested. Pelous is the current U20 coach but very light on experience would be a poor choice for the senior side.

People forget quickly FFr have an appaling record at appointing coaches. Now they are stuck once again. They were just as stuck in 2007 when they appointed Lievremont out of nowhere. They went for a young inexperienced coach, they plucked him out of ProD2 for the 'top job'. They should call it the Knob Job.

There will be very few top candidates lining up. None of the best French coaches outside of Galthié and Ibanez are interested (Laporte Noves Azema Landreau Urios etc basically 90% of all head coaches, that's a lot of uninterested coaching talent!).

Will they consider a coach from overseas? I doubt it. The only foreigner I can see would be Quesada (Stade Francais) because he has been around for a long time. I don't know if he is even interested.

FFr will make a political appointment i.e get a guy they like and get on well with. That rules out Galthié who is a great technician but too much of a maverick for the parisians. Pelous and Ibanez have a better chance if they're interested. Pelous is the current U20 coach but very light on experience would be a poor choice for the senior side.

People forget quickly FFr have an appaling record at appointing coaches. Now they are stuck once again. They were just as stuck in 2007 when they appointed Lievremont out of nowhere. They went for a young inexperienced coach, they plucked him out of ProD2 for the 'top job'. They should call it the Knob Job.

There will be very few top candidates lining up. None of the best French coaches outside of Galthié and Ibanez are interested (Laporte Noves Azema Landreau Urios etc basically 90% of all head coaches, that's a lot of uninterested coaching talent!).

Will they consider a coach from overseas? I doubt it. The only foreigner I can see would be Quesada (Stade Francais) because he has been around for a long time. I don't know if he is even interested.

Whoever they will take as head coach won't change anything. French rugby is only based on top 14 and doesn't care a single moment about the national team. How can you create a "team" with players only being toghether 2 weeks before 6N each year and 1 week before AI ... The FFR/LNR schedule does not permit any team construction and cohesion ... So you can put any coach you want, it will always be the same.

The idea of it always being the same is burrying your head in the sand!!! I agree it has been bad for a while but if the bad results continue something has to be done, a better working relationship between the 3 parties FFR, LNR, and the TOP 14, clubs, would kick start something, Pelous has some good experience and Ibanez is learning fast so the 2 together is probably the best team available at the moment.The talent is there in France just need someone to use it to its full potential.

Let's talk theoretically here ...

Who would your France match day 23 be and the coaching staff to go with it?

I'd say there are a few certainties.
Hookers: Guirado and Kayser seem to be the choices, don't think the staff could choose anyone else. If a third hooker is taken to England, it will probably be Szarzewski.
Props: Mas, Ben Arous and Debaty seem to be the coaches' favourites. The fourth could be Slimani or Atonio (and Mas could be left out too in favour of these two).
Locks: Maestri is a sure starter, and Papé would be the second one. For the bench, one of Flanquart, Vahamaahina or Taofifenua. I think that for the WC squad it will be only one of the last two.
Backrowers: Picamoles is really expected back, and Dusatoir is an obvious choice. It is not clear anymore imo that Leroux will be the third starter, it could be Chouly as a flanker, or Goujon other.
Scrum-half: I hope it's Parra, but it will surely be Tillous-Borde.
Fly-half: Nobody knows here. Personnally, I don't think Trinh-Duc will be making a comeback, I even see Michalak as more likely. There's a feud going on right now with Clermont on Lopez' management, and he might pay for it. I'd say Plisson will be starting.
Centres: Lots of choice here. Bastareaud will surely be on the bench, and the starters could be two of Mermoz, Fofana, Fickou, Lamerat or Dumoulin.
Wingers: Huget seems a certainty, and Nakaitaci is the front-runner for the other spot right now.
Fullback: Spedding is the preferred one.

Now my opinion:

Personnally, I was against PSA's appointment (was hoping for Galthié), but supported him for a long time, pretty much until last year's 6N, but now he has shown a degree of incompetence that is just unsustainable. Now losing by 20 points is considered a heroic performance...

I'm also losing my patience with Dusautoir. He's lacking the consistence of yore, and his leadership seems very ineffective for the kind of group that France has at the moment. It is also obvious for everyone that he lacks the minimum level of complementarity with Leroux - we have never seen a game in which they both played well, they seem to run into each other.

Now, by position.
The loosehead props, I'm pretty happy with Ben Arous and Debaty. I'm not a big fan of players that can only be "impact players", but Debaty has shown he can be a starting option too.
Hookers: Both solid but nothing Servat-esque. Still waiting for Tolofua, Orioli, etc but seems too late now for the WC.
Tighthead props: Totally against Atonio here. The guy can't stand 20 minutes of international play. I'm also a bit biased in Slimani's favour.
Locks: Maestri for sure, but Papé keeps showing that he can't be relied upon. I'd go for Flanquart to start and Taofifenua for the bench. They're both good lineout jumpers, which gives more freedom in choosing the backrow (in particular, we're not forced to choose Chouly).
Backrow: Goujon had good showings, and I'd try him alongside Picamoles and Dusautoir. He seems more the mobile (and passing) sort when compared to Picamoles. Probably Choul for the bench, as he's been in the setup for some time (I'd go for Lauret or Lapandry if there were more time).
Halfback: Big Parra fan here. Always have been, even during those dark "Machenaud is an international class player" bull**** days. Happy enough with TB on the bench.
Flyhalf: Plisson and Lopez, if only because there doesn't seem to be any other alternative. Don't really believe in TD's comeback (come at me Gaston)
Centres: I'm satisfied with Bastareaud as an impact player. I think it has work, as it has worked with Debaty and as it can't work with Atonio (cf above). For the starters, I think pretty much any pair out of the five above will do. I will depend on Lamerat's and Dumoulin's form after injury, and on whether Fofana can break a line between now and September. My only strong preference is Fickou>Mermoz.
Wingers: the ones mentioned above seem an inevitable choice (if I had been told a few years ago that Huget was going to be a sure starter...)
Fullback: will depend on form, I'm happy enough with any of the two. We'll also have to see Bonneval's form when back from injury, but I think that's a very long shot.

@The Man
No matter you deep you delve into it, we only have a handful of sure starters: Guirado (and he's only been starting since 2014), Maestri (soon-to-be-captain), Dusautoir and Huget.
We have enough talent up front to field different quality packs, just hoping that Saint-André doesn't overlook Picamoles and pairs Dusautoir with an offensive-minded flanker (Nyanga, Camara...biased here).
Our backline is an absolute mystery, after four years of trial-and-error we still have absolutely no clue as to our pair of halfbacks, praying that Parra and Trinh-Duc will be back in top form in due time, all the others have had a go, none has convinced. Plenty of quality in the midfield too, would like to see Fofana moved at outside center, Mermoz, Dumoulin or another inside (players who actually make passes). Fine with any back three, Dulin deserves another chance, he'd been our top man for the last 18 months before his injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
Who ever is picked for the WC is of liitle importance as far as the players are concerned its a fairly well know fact in the inner circles that the players are longer playing for PSA and his muppets, the motitivation is no longer there they are more than happy to be back with thier own clubs, they may consider to go it alone but as there are not enough real leaders anymore the situation does not look good and this could well be an early exit and hopefully start again from scratch after the WC.
A very prominate person in the TOP 14 made this statement this week,
"if a team had 50 points scored against them with a 20 point difference, in the SH they would be sacked the following day not made out to be a hero" please do not ask who it was there will be no answer!!!!!!!!!!

"if a team had 50 points scored against them with a 20 point difference, in the SH they would be sacked the following day not made out to be a hero" please do not ask who it was there will be no answer!!!!!!!!!!

Argentina must have got through a few coaches since joining the Rugby Championship!

Argentina must have got through a few coaches since joining the Rugby Championship!

Superb response always in need of a comedian i was referring to NZ SA or Australia but that needed thought to work out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did think, I reasoned that if your mystery person had meant SANZAR, he/she would have said SANZAR, not southern hemisphere. What you're actually in need of is some punctuation other than god knows who many punctuation marks at the end of every other sentence!

I did think, I reasoned that if your mystery person had meant SANZAR, he/she would have said SANZAR, not southern hemisphere. What you're actually in need of is some punctuation other than god knows who many punctuation marks at the end of every other sentence!

my punctuation is fine, if you don't like it tough my friend, this is a free and open world get used to it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"who many punctuation marks" a case of the kettle calling the pot black n'est pas!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts