• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Eben Etzebeth

He should be Ok Provided he isn't charged with a criminal offence and the non-white players back him.

It's ab it more complexed than that. There are 2 instances of criminal charges involved here - Assault and Hate Speech.

Now it seems like assault is off the tables for now. I say for now, as the police may still decide to formally prosecute him, especially if new evidence comes out.

The Hate speech charge will only happen after the SAHRC wins their case in the equality court. If what Eben has said been deemed to be hate speech, then the police can prosecute him for that.

So basically this SAHRC attempt is a pre-emptive move to have Eben prosecuted after the EC ruling, should the court find in the SAHRC's favour.

It's ab it more complexed than that. There are 2 instances of criminal charges involved here - Assault and Hate Speech.

Now it seems like assault is off the tables for now. I say for now, as the police may still decide to formally prosecute him, especially if new evidence comes out.

The Hate speech charge will only happen after the SAHRC wins their case in the equality court. If what Eben has said been deemed to be hate speech, then the police can prosecute him for that.

So basically this SAHRC attempt is a pre-emptive move to have Eben prosecuted after the EC ruling, should the court find in the SAHRC's favour.

Sorrry I meant during the WC (his ability to finish it)

I wonder what evidence they have to make that decision when it seems like the police have no evidence against him...

View attachment 7543

I have heard voice notes of people involved (eben's friend(s)/acquaintance(s) - names mentioned) in the aftermath whom all confirm Eben's actions...

mdaclarke said:
Do you think this is the work of Cape Crusaders (or Cape All Blacks, don't remember what they are called)?

Think I answered your question there, so no not the alleged cape crusader but Eben's own friend(s)/acquaintance(s) who joked about the evens that night. I think they support the cape Stormers since you classifying certain individuals/groups based on the teams they support. Guess this makes me a Cape Hurricane and my friend in Jhb who supports the cheetahs a Johannesburg cheetah...

Okay, so apparently the word that was used was "hotnot". Now this is a derogatory term for the Khoisan people.

Now there is a movement representing this protected group of the population who wants to use this case to have this term be deemed hate speech in the same light as the "K"-word.

So basically they want to use a high profile person as the scapegoat, to drive an agenda. They are now also blaming the NPA for dragging its feet, even though the NPA referred the case back to police for further investigation, so this movement is already barking up the wrong tree, by blaming the NPA when they don't have much to work with at the moment.

They are also claiming that Etzebeth assaulted them with his firearm, and that Etzebeth's firearm has been sent for DNA testing. Honestly, IMO, this seems highly unlikely that Etzebeth's firearm was involved in the incident.

There's already so many gaps starting to show in this case, So I'm very interested to see what's going to happen. I am very glad that the portfolio comittee on Sport, Arts & Culture, have made a statement saying that this matter should have been better handled and that Etzebeth shouldn't be judged by trial by media.

I'm applauding them for saying this, as it's clear that some of these articles are just blowing smoke, stating the same info they published a week before.

I have heard voice notes of people involved (eben's friend(s)/acquaintance(s) - names mentioned) in the aftermath whom all confirm Eben's actions...

Think I answered your question there, so no not the alleged cape crusader but Eben's own friend(s)/acquaintance(s) who joked about the evens that night. I think they support the cape Stormers since you classifying certain individuals/groups based on the teams they support. Guess this makes me a Cape Hurricane and my friend in Jhb who supports the cheetahs a Johannesburg cheetah...

Stormers are native to the cape so no need to call them cape Stormers, just Stormers.

But id agree yes you can call the others a Johannesburg Cheetah, A Kimberley Shark, An East London Griqua, A Bloemfontein Bull...

But the Cape Crusaders are well known, and judging my @mdaclarke knowing the group it seems its known internationally.
They are quite open towards the fact that they dislike the Springboks if im correct? Im pretty sure its no secret. Thats why i suspect people would suspect this group to be behind an alleged agenda to get one of the important Springbok players out of the World Cup and then as @TRF_heineken said maybe targeting such a high profile person would be the most effective.

I'm from Wales but have South African family. I thought it was well known that there is a large group of people in the Cape area who don't like the Springboks and instead root for the All Blacks and Crusaders.

I'm from Wales but have South African family. I thought it was well known that there is a large group of people in the Cape area who don't like the Springboks and instead root for the All Blacks and Crusaders.
It is well known...

@Icemn , are you from the Cape and support the All Blacks?

The SAHRC have already have decided what stance they're taking before Etzebeth had an opportunity to defend himself. They're so unashamedly bias.

"Eben Etzebeth is used to getting away with murder," SA Human Rights Commission (SAHRC) acting legal head Buang Jones told a crowded community meeting in Langebaan on Thursday.

He promised aggrieved residents the Springbok star would be used to "set an example" and said Etzebeth should be charged with attempted murder.

Jones addressed Langebaan residents on the eve of Friday's equality court bid to bring Etzebeth to book over allegations that he assaulted two men in the West Coast town in an altercation filled with racial abuse, including the h-word.

The lock forward, who was due to turn out for the Springboks against Italy during the Rugby World Cup on Friday, is also alleged to have pointed a firearm at four women during the incident, which began at a pub, Die Watergat, on August 25.

Jones's remarks were cheered in the packed Seabreeze Community Hall, where mostly coloured residents gathered to hear about the SAHRC's decision to take Etzebeth to court for alleged hate speech.

"We have mounted an offensive against racism and hate speech. The facts in this case suggest there is a case for Eben to answer," said Jones.

"We have been told that this is not the first time Eben has done this. He has also managed to get away with it, but this time it stops here."

He told the crowd former Bosasa executive Angelo Agrizzi "humbled himself" before him and repented after admitting he was a racist, and that Etzebeth could do the same.

"Remember he has money, remember the system is supporting him that's why he is in Japan" about Eben Etzebeth, acting head of Hunan Rights Buang Jones @TimesLIVE

"Here we have a criminal suspect who has been sent to Japan to represent our country. He is singing our national anthem. He should be in a prison cell in Langebaan. He should be charged with attempted murder," said Jones.

He told the community Etzebeth would be given three weeks to file his responding affidavit and would then be expected to appear in court.

"You must be here with your placards. We are fighting a system," said Jones.

Khoisan Defiance Campaign organiser Sammy Claassen said the case was about "serious racism in Langebaan".

He added: "The people who were assaulted gave up hope. It seems white people involved in crime get special treatment."

A white resident stood up and accused Claassen of twisting facts to suit his agenda. "You and Mr Jones have declared Etzebeth guilty, but there is still a court process," he said, to jeers from the crowd.

When other residents recounted stories of verbal racial abuse by their white compatriots, the pain driving the crowd's anger became palpable.

Pastor Gert Moses said he grew up on a farm in Porterville being called a "hotnot" every day of his young life.

He tried to raise his two sons so they would never encounter racial abuse, but when Etzebeth's alleged utterances became the talk of the town, he had to explain to them that people were treated with derision because of their skin colour.

"I grew up with the h-word and it's a word that strains my heart muscles," he said.

"Daily this word was used against us coloureds, so much so that you felt useless and that you could not get anywhere.

"I've made peace in my heart, but my son wants to know what this h-word means and I explained to him where it comes from and he feels it's not right.

"Every time he sees Eben Etzebeth on TV he tells me, 'papa there is the man who used the h-word, there is the man who was nasty to people in Langebaan'."

Etzebeth has denied everything.

"It is completely untrue and unfounded to claim that I physically or racially abused anyone in Langebaan, as has been reported on social media. Multiple witnesses can corroborate that.

"I am and will always strive to be a true ambassador to this beautiful rainbow nation and the sport that I love," Etzebeth wrote on his Facebook page shortly after rumours started circulating.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...egal-head-tells-cheering-langebaan-residents/

If anything this will weaken the SAHC's case as it makes them look like they are not impartial and participating in a witch hunt. If they don't have the actual evidence they will look extremely silly

The SAHRC have already have decided what stance they're taking before Etzebeth had an opportunity to defend himself. They're so unashamedly bias.

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/so...egal-head-tells-cheering-langebaan-residents/

Yeah, I don't know why the legal representative of the SAHRC would make such a comment, the day before they lodge their papers before the Equality Court. Those remarks can now be used in court against him, and the prejudicial remarks made could weaken their case even more.

But the backlash with this is, that he's trying to get a community to his side, in the area where the incident took place. So now he's not isolating the incident, but rather a history of community racism taking place. Now I've not been to Langebaan in quite some time, but what's the point of doing this unless you expect the community to arrive at the court and picket outside, do the local even have the means to go to the court??

They are doing this all wrong. On so many levels.

If they feel they were wronged, surely they want justice, not money?

Justice might include (among other things) community service, support for a local charity, a sentence in prison (if appropriate) etc.

I have no opinion on whether he is innocent or guilty, but I don't think very highly of people seeking cash rather than proper justice as a result of a very serious accusation.

They want R1million in compensation. To me that just proves this is a money grabbing opportunity by those that filled the complaint and with the SAHRC wanting to score political points.

From the outside in the claims that there is a conspiracy seem a bit tinfoil hattish. Then you read articles like the above and dig a little deeper and it does indeed start to look a bit sus, perhaps even a bit racist.

From the altercation, to the gun, to now saying Eben has committed murder... but they don't want to send a serious, dangerous criminal to jail; they just want money? SMH

It looks like an attempted stitch up.

I assume this will end with a pay off (nowhere near 1million Rand) and some sort of apology for a misunderstanding and both parties will move on.

Ugh! I hate that guy! He's such a downer.

And he's not in Japan, so how does he know what's going on in the camp. According to Kolisi, most of the squad are unaware of what's going on with this issue, as their media team are doing a good job in keeping it away from them.

Plus why should Etzebeth return home now?? Papers were filed on Friday, there is no need for him to be in SA for that, that's his lawyer's job. He doesn't have to be physically in SA for his lawyer to respond to the papers, or even file a NTD or a counterclaim.

The only reason why Etzebeth will return home, is if they subpoena him. But that's very premature to do that.

Plus, I think the SAHRC have a lot of fires to put out, because of what their legal representative said to the community. As a representative, he's already shown his bias towards Etzebeth. Which removes any and all credibility he would have had at the trial.

It's clearly become a witchhunt. Now demanding compensation of R1million from Etzebeth. So they want:
  • Compensation
  • community service
  • public apology
They will have to choose, they won't get all 3, it's an either/or situation. Plus now they are talking about prior incidents. Tell me, how has those incidents been kept quiet, like they never happened before, like, nobody knew about it except these "complainants". Probably it didn't happen. No complaint lodged at police station, no case number, nada, FOKOL!

There is something more sinister going on. And it's intensifying, especially after the whole Mapimpi thing which people are taking completely out of context with regards to the "bomb squad". It seems like there is campaign to show racial biasness within the Bok squad, which there really isn't.

Ugh! I hate that guy! He's such a downer.

And he's not in Japan, so how does he know what's going on in the camp. According to Kolisi, most of the squad are unaware of what's going on with this issue, as their media team are doing a good job in keeping it away from them.

Plus why should Etzebeth return home now?? Papers were filed on Friday, there is no need for him to be in SA for that, that's his lawyer's job. He doesn't have to be physically in SA for his lawyer to respond to the papers, or even file a NTD or a counterclaim.

The only reason why Etzebeth will return home, is if they subpoena him. But that's very premature to do that.

Plus, I think the SAHRC have a lot of fires to put out, because of what their legal representative said to the community. As a representative, he's already shown his bias towards Etzebeth. Which removes any and all credibility he would have had at the trial.

It's clearly become a witchhunt. Now demanding compensation of R1million from Etzebeth. So they want:
  • Compensation
  • community service
  • public apology
They will have to choose, they won't get all 3, it's an either/or situation. Plus now they are talking about prior incidents. Tell me, how has those incidents been kept quiet, like they never happened before, like, nobody knew about it except these "complainants". Probably it didn't happen. No complaint lodged at police station, no case number, nada, FOKOL!

There is something more sinister going on. And it's intensifying, especially after the whole Mapimpi thing which people are taking completely out of context with regards to the "bomb squad". It seems like there is campaign to show racial biasness within the Bok squad, which there really isn't.

Agreed, I don't understand the mentality of the Cape Crusaders. I get the history, but it is not as if New Zealand's history is whiter than white.

Also the ANC have been in power for 25 years. A lot of the players have spent their entire lives under ANC rule.

Agreed, I don't understand the mentality of the Cape Crusaders. I get the history, but it is not as if New Zealand's history is whiter than white.

Also the ANC have been in power for 25 years. A lot of the players have spent their entire lives under ANC rule.

This isn't an ANC thing. And I doubt it's a politcally motivated move. For me this is a sport thing. It's like someone is funding these people and some journalists, to keep on posting and reporting negative things about the Springboks, and using racial connotations as their base. Like they want the Springboks to fail...